Forced Induction Superchargers | Turbochargers | Intercoolers

HOlley Hp Efi and Boost with Stock Coils... Problems?

Search this Thread

Old 02-23-2012, 05:53 AM
TECH Veteran

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default HOlley Hp Efi and Boost with Stock Coils... Problems?

Copied from another thread so as to not fill the OPs thread with stuff.

Originally Posted by Blown06
Why does it seem like everyone is ignoring the problem with the Holley EFI, factory coils and boost?
Originally Posted by silver_82
what problem? Theres a few guys on YB with ls1s and haven't had any issues with holley and ls1 coils. I heard 1 person on this board say his ecu went bad with factory coils and high boost, is that what you are referring too?

Yes, thats the issue I'm talking about. Something about a feedback issue when using stock coils at boost over about 12 psi.

Can we talk about this and maybe get a little more in detail please?

I seriously ordered an HP efi this morning, and would like some feedback, ive not heard of this issue at all before it was brought up.

Also, Not sure if it matters, im using truck coils...

EDIT: Do the Ford guys have COP?

Last edited by JAX04; 02-27-2012 at 02:48 PM.
Old 02-23-2012, 07:27 AM
TECH Apprentice

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Im not 100% on this but i think it was "turbodiesels" truck that had the problem with the HP??? the 5.3 with the gt4788, maybe he'll chime in. I may be wrong on this though.
Old 02-23-2012, 10:46 AM
TECH Regular

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

I got the Holley unit and I was specifically told not to even bother with the coils and just order the coils that Holley offers. They told me that if I use anything other than the coils they sell. That I have an extremely high chance of frying the Holley Unit. I was told that the HP/Dominator do not have high output coil voltage.

Hopefully this make sense for some one. I read it on another forum.

"DIS/COP does not use CD Igntion (MSD/Mallory etc) due to the increased saturation time the coils have to charge and provide high spark output. Holley and BS3 both utilize low current coil drivers designed for "smart 4 wire coils" like GM LSx or Holley's DIS wastespark coils. Think of these coils as being wired like a relay with high current feed/low current trigger. Ford coils are high current driven and will require an auxiillery high current driver which Holley has in the works for next year. Back to back dyno testing has shown identical horsepower in LSx and Wastespark coil configuration at moderate boost levels (14-18psi)"
Old 02-23-2012, 10:47 AM
Banned

JAX04 call me.
Old 02-23-2012, 10:52 AM
TECH Veteran

Originally Posted by corpserodeo666
I got the Holley unit and I was specifically told not to even bother with the coils and just order the coils that Holley offers. They told me that if I use anything other than the coils they sell. That I have an extremely high chance of frying the Holley Unit. I was told that the HP/Dominator do not have high output coil voltage.

Hopefully this make sense for some one. I read it on another forum.

"DIS/COP does not use CD Igntion (MSD/Mallory etc) due to the increased saturation time the coils have to charge and provide high spark output. Holley and BS3 both utilize low current coil drivers designed for "smart 4 wire coils" like GM LSx or Holley's DIS wastespark coils. Think of these coils as being wired like a relay with high current feed/low current trigger. Ford coils are high current driven and will require an auxiillery high current driver which Holley has in the works for next year. Back to back dyno testing has shown identical horsepower in LSx and Wastespark coil configuration at moderate boost levels (14-18psi)"
I read that like, "yes, go ahead and use LS coils packs" ???

Originally Posted by Josh@KY-Turbo
JAX04 call me.
Will Do Josh
Old 02-23-2012, 10:59 AM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by JAX04
I read that like, "yes, go ahead and use LS coils packs" ???

Will Do Josh
Sort off. For boost under certain levels. But boost above those levels will give you issues.
Old 02-23-2012, 06:24 PM
TECH Veteran

Originally Posted by corpserodeo666
Sort off. For boost under certain levels. But boost above those levels will give you issues.
can anything be done? I really didnt expect to be buying new coils? Just seems so damn stupid. Damn it. Either way, i ordered the HP EFI.
Old 02-23-2012, 06:32 PM
Restricted User

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

As of this moment, the Holley EFI in a boosted application must run the Holley coils. They have new ECU hardware that should resolve this problem but they are waiting on the firmware to drive it. Once they have both ready, they will be shipping 3 ECU's to us to try on our 3 turbo fbodies with the stock coils. We have a couple of high 8 sec cars and a 7.7 car to run them thru the paces. Once we see them working correctly, we'll let everyone know.
Old 02-23-2012, 06:41 PM
TECH Veteran

Thanks Los, Steve messaged me earlier as well. Thanks to you both.

Last edited by JAX04; 02-27-2012 at 02:18 PM.
Old 02-23-2012, 06:43 PM
TECH Veteran

Id probably just run the stock coils for awhile if i didnt have to have them inside the cabin. With my downpipe right their, i dont have choice.
Old 02-23-2012, 09:05 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Here's the latest news straight from the Holley EFI engineers: The earlier HP/Dominator EFI units ran into a resistance issue with boosted applications exceeding 8psi. This has been addressed by running their coils. However, they have since updated the hardware and the new units (produced in 2012) SHOULD no longer have this issue and should be able to run stock coils with big boost.

This is why I waited to purchase a 2012 production unit. I plan on running 30psi with the stock coils....guess I'm one of the test rats.
Old 02-24-2012, 12:18 AM
8 Second Truck Club

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

To add to this...

Ed (formerly of VA Speed) told me it would be April (at the earliest) that Holley would have this issue fixed.

Also, to run the Holley coils means you have to run their 60-2 trigger wheel I believe. And I'm told this wheel sux ***** at rpm.
Old 02-24-2012, 12:55 AM
TECH Regular

To add to this...

Ed (formerly of VA Speed) told me it would be April (at the earliest) that Holley would have this issue fixed.

Also, to run the Holley coils means you have to run their 60-2 trigger wheel I believe. And I'm told this wheel sux ***** at rpm.
I don't know if thats 100% true. I was told just to get the coils and I would be fine. And that is directly from them.
Old 02-24-2012, 05:49 AM
TECH Veteran

Im calling Holley Today. lol
Old 02-24-2012, 12:33 PM
TECH Veteran

Originally Posted by 93formto98T/A
Here's the latest news straight from the Holley EFI engineers: The earlier HP/Dominator EFI units ran into a resistance issue with boosted applications exceeding 8psi. This has been addressed by running their coils. However, they have since updated the hardware and the new units (produced in 2012) SHOULD no longer have this issue and should be able to run stock coils with big boost.

This is why I waited to purchase a 2012 production unit. I plan on running 30psi with the stock coils....guess I'm one of the test rats.
According to Tom from Holley (whom i was told was the "lead EFI tech", whom ive spoke to twice today, they dont even have the Beta versions of the new circuit boards for the box yet. According to him, they have tested several manufacturers products, the coils, and have found some to work better then others. He would not say which.

By the time i got off the phone with them i knew nothing more then going into the conversation with, except that the boost control should be out in a couple months and they are still waiting on the beta circuit boards to start testing the voltage back feeding problems with the smart coils.
Old 02-24-2012, 02:09 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

So the moral of the story is: Run current production units with Holley coils OR wait for the beta units to be released and run stock coils.
Old 02-24-2012, 02:10 PM
TECH Veteran

Originally Posted by 93formto98T/A
So the moral of the story is: Run current production units with Holley coils OR wait for the beta units to be released and run stock coils.
Yep....
Old 02-24-2012, 02:21 PM
Launching!

To add to this...

I run stock cam and crank sensors with the Holley coils and spin it as high as 8500 with no issues.
Old 02-24-2012, 03:02 PM
Gingervitis Addict

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

To add to this...

Don't forget the 58 tooth GM trigger wheel is a 60-2 wheel.
Old 02-25-2012, 12:22 AM
8 Second Truck Club

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Like I said in my post, I don't have any experience with the 60-2 wheel. However I'm told it has deflection issues at RPM. Not a problem you wanna have with big boost.

Quick Reply: HOlley Hp Efi and Boost with Stock Coils... Problems?