Forced Induction Superchargers | Turbochargers | Intercoolers

HOlley Hp Efi and Boost with Stock Coils... Problems?

Search this Thread

Old 03-11-2012, 12:47 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

One other thing that isnt on the website, only in the manual, is that with the DIS coil setup you can not do individual cylinder timing. You can only control timing on the 2 cylinders that are fired by the one coil.
If you have to use an aftermarket crank trigger, I would recommend the MSD.
We wasted all kinds of time trying to make the Holley 60-2 wheel work with every possible clearance and adjustment anyone could think of, with no luck. Switched to the MSD wheel and has worked perfectly since.
Old 03-11-2012, 01:09 PM
10 Second Club

Received 1,739 Likes on 1,299 Posts

Originally Posted by JAX04
The guy i spoke to said, As cylinder pressure increases, it becomes harder for the spark to jump across to the prong, when this happens, the coils are working harder, as they do this, they are creating some kind of electromagnetic field around themselves??? and this causes the coil to back feed up to 200v into the ecm, on a 5v circuit.

I may have left something out, but thats what he said. Guys name was Tom. Im going to run it the way it is, just keep things low i guess i can spend the extra cash, im more worried about actually getting the car running at the moment, then ill deal with the BS that is the ignition issues.
I would be embarrassed if I was Holly and this happened. They should have been doing EMI/EMC testing BEFORE releasing the ecu. They're getting flyback voltage that should be snubbed in the circuit design, but obviously isn't.
Old 03-11-2012, 04:24 PM
TECH Addict

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

You can try things in the dyno cell that work prefect. Then put them in a car and have all kinds of issues.

They are working very hard to figure out what the fix is for this. Some hardware changes are being tested. I know that some coils are also being tested.

Tim
Old 03-11-2012, 06:52 PM
10 Second Club

Received 1,739 Likes on 1,299 Posts

Originally Posted by Gray86hatch
You can try things in the dyno cell that work prefect. Then put them in a car and have all kinds of issues.

They are working very hard to figure out what the fix is for this. Some hardware changes are being tested. I know that some coils are also being tested.

Tim
I agree.....that's why you test them in the intended installation BEFORE releasing to the public. When we take on a new project we do field surveys as well as pilot installs to test for issues like this.
Old 04-06-2012, 12:43 PM
Launching!

Kind of off topic, but am I correct that with this system you can run either low impedence injectors without a driver box? Seems like with all the features of this system even though it is a bit pricey, you save by not having to get a driver box, boost controller, HP tuners etc etc.
Old 04-06-2012, 12:50 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by flynbludream
Kind of off topic, but am I correct that with this system you can run either low impedence injectors without a driver box? Seems like with all the features of this system even though it is a bit pricey, you save by not having to get a driver box, boost controller, HP tuners etc etc.
The Holley EFI works with high or low impedance injectors no driver boxes are needed. The boost control is not released yet so it doesn't add value to the box at this time. When Holley releases the software it will just require downloading the latest software from Holley.
Old 04-06-2012, 05:23 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Per Holley's recommendation I went ahead and splurged for their DIS coil system and custom firecore50 plug wires. I don't want any issues with my setup shooting for 2Krwhp.

Be warned that the coils are huge and you'll need a full custom set of wires as on each of the 4 coils there are 2 terminals ; one goes to the drivers bank and the other goes to the other side of the motor on the passenger bank.
Old 04-07-2012, 10:21 AM
TECH Veteran

Originally Posted by 93formto98T/A
Per Holley's recommendation I went ahead and splurged for their DIS coil system and custom firecore50 plug wires. I don't want any issues with my setup shooting for 2Krwhp.

Be warned that the coils are huge and you'll need a full custom set of wires as on each of the 4 coils there are 2 terminals ; one goes to the drivers bank and the other goes to the other side of the motor on the passenger bank.
No Joke they are HUGE, maybe ill snap a side by side of them next to the stock coils.

They are big.
Old 04-07-2012, 10:30 AM
TECH Veteran

Old 04-11-2012, 05:55 PM
Staging Lane

Anyword on the boost issue with stock coils? It says that I can run no more than 8psi on stock coils right? Id like to buy a Dominator but run my stock coils. I was only planning on 8psi anyways.
Old 04-11-2012, 08:19 PM
TECH Junkie

I was told 10 psi by holley yesterday. They recommended their coils and firecore50 wireds. So where's everyone mounting the coils? I'm hoping they'll still fit under the cowl.
Old 04-11-2012, 08:32 PM
9 Second Truck Club

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Hope they get this straightened out soon. I have a new in box HP system I bought from summit last fall. I consulted holley before purchase about the 20+ psi I plan on running and they said no problem. This deal is holding up my project big time, and slummit wants a 15% restock fee to return it. I don't think that is fair for me to take that hit for their fuckup.
Old 04-12-2012, 04:08 PM
Teching In

Its called BETA testing
Old 04-12-2012, 04:13 PM
Teching In

I have a HP unit, but won't use it till they figure out the coil problem. Their answer is to use their coils. Why do the stock coils work fine on my AEM set up?
Old 04-12-2012, 05:10 PM
TECH Veteran

Honestly, i know its a hit guys, i had to pay for them too. The holley coils eliminate individual cylinder trim, and they add an additional cost to the initial purchase, i know it sucks, i complained, bitched, pissed and moaned, hell i made many complaints, and never really thought it through.

Bottom line, from the guy who made most of the negative comments about this setup, im happy to have it, 2k was a deal at the end of the day, i dont think you could buy a comparable system from AEM, or BS3, or Fast, or Motec for the same cost. If you can... Great, i stand corrected.

2k sucks, its about 500 dollars more then my original purchase, but, in the end, i have some great coils, a bad *** ECM that tunes itself and can do anything i could ever want it to do...
Old 04-12-2012, 09:13 PM
TECH Regular

Making claims about what a new product WILL DO, and then that product not performing is NOT Beta testing. Call holley ask for the higher up and ask them if an updated product will be exchanged for your early production unit when it becomes available. Record the conversion. If you can't wait demand a refund from holley, its their mistake and false advertising,th then buy something else. Or demand that holley provide you their coils at no charge or reduced cost. They advertised it to work with stock Ls coils they need to back up their statements. I've been assured that the coil situation is a hardware problem and a n existing controller will not be upgradeable without an exchange.
Old 04-12-2012, 11:48 PM
Teching In

I was referring to beta testing before it gets released. Vs what someone said about not mimicking it on a dyno. They will work with stock coils, just not very well with boost. I think it is a nice unit for the coin, but I think they left a lot on the table. The boost control should be a done deal, and they should have fixed the coil issue. Not tell you to buy some dumb coils in wasted spark! Every EFI out there has its + and -'s, it's just a matter of which one fits you're build and pocket book.
I have a Fast2.0, AEM series 1, AEM series 2, Holley HP, and waiting on my Infinity -10 to show up.
I can do a series 2 AEM for $1700 including wiring and sensors, but if you run low imped injectors then another $275 for a driver. Hands down it has the best data logging and expand ability, but is also more complicated to use. It's a tuners box and is only limited by you're imagination. The Fast and Holley are very easy to use compared, with the Holley having a few more extra features. For people that don't know how to tune, the Holley is there for them. You still need to know how and what to look for and how to set a target AFR map along with timing.
Happy wrenching
Old 04-13-2012, 06:50 AM
TECH Regular

If Holley get's all the "bugs" worked out of the dominator system and it works completely as advertised it will be awesome for thoughs of you that bought early units Holley needs to step up to the plate and provide it's customers the hardware required for the system to operate as advertied on thier dime. When the Dominator was first released it wasn't advertiesed as working with stock LS coils up to 8 lbs of boost. and it was advertised as having boost controls "when we get around to it".

I'm in the heat and cooling business and bought 2 sets of Fieldpiece digital gauges early last spring my serial numbers were in the 1200's. Those units worked great, but they have plastic spring clamp temperature probes that were made out of the wrong plastic and broke. Also they had some valve issues that didn't cause problems in the lab but did in the field. these are $500 gauges that do more than other companies $900 gauges. Fieldpiece stepped up and replaced everything on thier dime shipping and everything. I didn't even have to ship and wait. They sent replacements with call tags in the boxes. Holley needs to do the same, It's a great product that wasn't fully developed before it's release.
Old 04-13-2012, 08:17 AM
9 Second Club

So far I have made a couple short 15psi bursts with my Holley setup and stock coils. Once I get time to get out and drive some more I'll have some more conclusive data. Now that I have some confidence in where the tune is I can do some longer test runs.
Old 04-13-2012, 09:54 AM
On The Tree

And I sold a BS3 for this "wonder" holley HP unit, now ill be running in wasted spark feels more like wasted money, I eventually hope to use stock style coils, cause these things are donks!

I'll have some more experience in the next couple weeks, and hopefully this bitter taste is gone!

Andy

Quick Reply: HOlley Hp Efi and Boost with Stock Coils... Problems?