Forced Induction Superchargers | Turbochargers | Intercoolers

Turbo build cost?

Search this Thread

Old 02-26-2012, 01:22 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Turbo build cost?

Hey Guys

Im curious of the cost behind building a turbo set up. I realize there is no exact number to be put on it, but im just curious of what an average build costs, on a single front mount, using a stock bottom end engine. My car is a 78 Trans Am and I have a 474 ponitac I purchased 2 years ago that I have not put in yet. The original owner of the engine has suggested he would buy it back from me. Which has led me here as I have always dreamed of having a turbo'd lsx based motor. The 474 is putting out right around 550/550. So the goal behind a turbo build would be around the same numbers +/-. And im also interested because thinking long term an lsx based engine makes more sense economically, compared to a big cubed old technology pontiac motor, also makes sense regarding fuel millage. My budget would be around $7500 and I realize there is other cost regarding the swap of a lsx into an older car, but the $7500 would mostly be dedicated to engine/tranny, and of course, a turbo set up. So knowing what my budget is, do you think it can be done for $7500, with those output numbers in mind, or am I being unrealistic with the budget and the idea of using a stock bottem end engine.

Im open to the idea of going n/a first but id have to be making 400 n/a to make it seem worth it as the car currently has an old pontiac 400ci making around 400hp, and as im sure you all know, giving up hp is not usually an option. But if its the cheaper route to start with a good n/a motor then its worth considering

Thanks
Mike
Old 02-26-2012, 01:52 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 120 Likes on 59 Posts

For me to turbo my car it cost 3000-3500(turbo,wastegate, bov, piping intercooler, etc). thats not including the fuel system, which will be about 1500. so im looking at close to 6k before i can even think about mashing the gas for the first time. this is all on what was a cam-only ls1 to begin with. I dont think you can do a solid setup for $7500 if you need to buy a motor and trans too.
Old 02-26-2012, 02:27 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by Ryans99ls1
For me to turbo my car it cost 3000-3500(turbo,wastegate, bov, piping intercooler, etc). thats not including the fuel system, which will be about 1500. so im looking at close to 6k before i can even think about mashing the gas for the first time. this is all on what was a cam-only ls1 to begin with. I dont think you can do a solid setup for $7500 if you need to buy a motor and trans too.
Hey

Thanks for the reply

This is the answer I was looking for but not what i wanted to hear lol...I was getting excited thinking it may be possible. I guess its not ultimately out of the picture, seeing as I could get the engine and solid turbo set up with my initial budget and then save up for the rest such as tranny and all other odds and ends, just may prolong it another year....But seeing that 474 in garage ready to go in makes it hard to want to wait another year! lol..

This is my dilemma, the hardest decision on my pallet right now. My girlfriend doesnt sleep because shes worried about her next college test or assignment, and Im not sleeping becuase I cant make a decision on which engine I want my car to have lol...I like to think my issue is more important but she wont have any of that nonsense lol....its good be a car guy!!!
Old 02-26-2012, 02:42 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I'm about $10,000 into mine

-motor
-turbo
-turbo kit
-cold piping
-fuel system
-k member
-little odds and ends (I can't stress this enough, the cost of this thing comes out in the stuff you never thought of.. gaskets, bolts, machine work, sensors etc etc)
Old 02-26-2012, 03:48 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by jt76
I'm about $10,000 into mine

-motor
-turbo
-turbo kit
-cold piping
-fuel system
-k member
-little odds and ends (I can't stress this enough, the cost of this thing comes out in the stuff you never thought of.. gaskets, bolts, machine work, sensors etc etc)

Yah, Ive been reading stuff all day, and thats what I keep finding, there is alot things I never thought of in order to make it relaible and work well.

Its tough, because I know 10 years down the road a LsX makes alot more sense parts and cost wise, but right now I have a perfectly good pontiac motor with great power waiting to go in, so right now that makes sense ....hahah decisions, decisions

Thanks
Mike
Old 02-26-2012, 05:39 PM
TECH Resident

Yeah, you have no idea what this all adds up to until it's all done. I stopped keeping track of the "little stuff" after my motor build, never mind my FI build...
Old 02-26-2012, 06:53 PM
On The Tree

I don't know what type of tranny you are using but you wanna get it built before you mod the engine if you're going automatic. It'll save both time and money in the long run.
Old 02-26-2012, 07:04 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 120 Likes on 59 Posts

Originally Posted by 78T/a
Hey

Thanks for the reply

This is the answer I was looking for but not what i wanted to hear lol...I was getting excited thinking it may be possible. I guess its not ultimately out of the picture, seeing as I could get the engine and solid turbo set up with my initial budget and then save up for the rest such as tranny and all other odds and ends, just may prolong it another year....But seeing that 474 in garage ready to go in makes it hard to want to wait another year! lol..

This is my dilemma, the hardest decision on my pallet right now. My girlfriend doesnt sleep because shes worried about her next college test or assignment, and Im not sleeping becuase I cant make a decision on which engine I want my car to have lol...I like to think my issue is more important but she wont have any of that nonsense lol....its good be a car guy!!!
There is nothing wrong with starting the build and buying parts as you get the money but its all about how long you can handle the car being down. I know i wait till i have nearly everything for the new project before i tear it down.

I cant reinforce what the others say about "odd and ends" enough. that little **** is the biggest killer. its impossible to account for in your initial budget.

And as for your dilemma, try being in her shoes and in yours at the same time. I stress over the same things she does and then what i need to buy next for my car hahaha.
Old 02-26-2012, 07:43 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

My Lemans has been with me since '03 with various engines. I took out a perfectly good running sbc to force myself to start the Ls/turbo swap as of last Xmas. Engine with fuel rails and intake was $330 shipped (company made an error in advertising and I made them stick to it. For the forced induction part, I am using a few Ebay bits and pieces. Its my first turbo build so I don't mind getting my hands dirty and saving where I can; to include mustang turbo headers $70 and twin T70's for $340 shipped. I am hoping to have the car running this summer for about $5k total to include misc, labor, tuning and odds and ends...eyeing a pretty cool CX racing two in, one out intercooler for $200.
Old 02-26-2012, 10:21 PM
Staging Lane

See my car as it is now is running well with its original 400, so the issue of having the car down is not that bad becuase i can still drive and enjoy the car while i purchase pats.

Having this benefit, would it make more sense to by a motor and tranny and get the whole combo running n/a then worry about the turbo stuff....Spending the money on the odds and end stuff up front, like refreshing a stock motor for the extra strength knowing it will see boost, and getting a well built tranny with my budget, seems like a better direction to take it, rather then dive head first into a ls swap and turbo set up all at once

Im sure its really easy to do, but what would i be looking at to acheive 350-400 crank hp out of a n/a ls1, or even an 5.3....just curious because i could start with that

Thanks
Mike
Old 02-26-2012, 11:43 PM
12 Second Club

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Yeah I think most FI owners don't really like to say how much they have spent on their car. haha. But mostly, I can't stress enough how much the little stuff adds up, like said before. I'll give you one example...

I wanted to upgrade my oil drain hoses that were rubber stock on the APS kit, to a 10AN setup to be more reliable, and not baloon like the rubber ones were doing, and drip oil.

Earl's 10AN Hose ends, $11, QTY:4
2 feet of 10AN hose locally @ 12.99 a foot
10AN Turbo drain fitting, $25, QTY:2

Total cost after tax but before shipping: $126.82

And that was JUST for having better return hoses.
Old 02-27-2012, 07:19 AM
9 Second Club

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Yep I agree! I have well over 10k in my setup and like everyone else said I quit keeping track of the little stuff but it def adds up FAST!
Old 02-27-2012, 07:22 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

https://ls1tech.com/forums/forced-in...induction.html
Old 02-27-2012, 07:23 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

https://ls1tech.com/forums/forced-in...ould-read.html

Quick Reply: Turbo build cost?