Forced Induction Superchargers | Turbochargers | Intercoolers

What will it make? 370 - F1C - E85 - lots of other stuff!

Search this Thread

Old 04-21-2012 | 10:58 AM
12 Second Club

Originally Posted by JAX04
Sounds like it'll take off for sure!

Thats odd about the elbow, i have the 5" one, and i can stand on it, 250lbs, and it doesnt budge. I believe it has some steel rod inside on the back bone though.

Either way, im excited to see your results, Joe, i was wondering if you were gonna see this thread, lol
Thanks man Im pretty excited too.... the weather is just getting real nice here in CA so when I get it back in a week or so itll be perfect timing to get to the track!

The intake "hat" I have is not hard plastic though... its not silicone tubing or hard plastic... kinda in the middle. If I could get one in ABS plastic that wouldve been perfect!
Old 04-21-2012 | 08:20 PM
TECH Resident

Man I am genuinely excited, although you probably know I'm a huge fan of your car I'm in the process of having a very similar build to your old one, also a forged 370ci and a 4L80E, but I'll start with the D1SC first before I consider the F1C, I'm sure it will be plenty enough for me for quite awhile, especially if I keep it at low boost at first. Anything will be better than 180 rwhp to the wheels

What's your compression ratio if I may ask? Stock 317 heads, right (Going off of your sig). What cc pistons and headgaskets did you go with as well, if you don't mind me asking? Lol, sorry, I'm just curious since my build is in progress and you're my official reference point Oh! And one more thing, LS2 or LS6 intake? I'm assuming LS6, but just asking for posterity's sake
Old 04-22-2012 | 10:40 AM
Staging Lane

With the f1c, do they have any problems with belt slip? I have a d1sc now and want something a little bigger.
Old 04-22-2012 | 09:44 PM
12 Second Club

Originally Posted by eLiT3SnIpEz
Man I am genuinely excited, although you probably know I'm a huge fan of your car I'm in the process of having a very similar build to your old one, also a forged 370ci and a 4L80E, but I'll start with the D1SC first before I consider the F1C, I'm sure it will be plenty enough for me for quite awhile, especially if I keep it at low boost at first. Anything will be better than 180 rwhp to the wheels

What's your compression ratio if I may ask? Stock 317 heads, right (Going off of your sig). What cc pistons and headgaskets did you go with as well, if you don't mind me asking? Lol, sorry, I'm just curious since my build is in progress and you're my official reference point Oh! And one more thing, LS2 or LS6 intake? I'm assuming LS6, but just asking for posterity's sake
Honestly I dont know the current CR.... we went with the AFR heads with the bigger 72 CC chamber, the pistons are custom Diamonds, and the head gaskets were stock LS7s iirc. Were using a LS2 intake with a 92mm TB... the intake was dirt cheap and with it we are able to bolt on a nice big TB without mods.

If you have any more Qs just let me know and good luck!
Old 04-22-2012 | 09:52 PM
11 Second Club

Nice build. I'll be keeping an eye on yours. I just ordered everything for my car and will be doing something very similar.
Old 05-01-2012 | 11:47 PM
12 Second Club

Final numbers :

843rwhp and 796rwtq.

Considering a small little 370, 4L80E, and 9" its not too shabby. lol

We hit some limits when tuning.... the 4" FMIC is becoming a restriction at 18-20psi... and the PCV system is reaching its limits, lots of accumulation with the itty bitty catch can system Im running. When I get it home Im going to make some changes to the PCV before I run it at the track. Then when the timing and wallet is right Ill switch over to a A2W setup. Then really turn the wick up.... its wants to make more power but we've outgrown a couple components.

Pretty happy right now... cant wait to get it home which should be this weekend.
Old 05-02-2012 | 12:46 AM
Launching!

Badass numbers man!
Old 05-02-2012 | 08:59 PM
TECH Addict

make sure to film that monster at the track with a good cam and show us all what she will do. love seeing street cars at the track.
Old 05-02-2012 | 09:55 PM
11 Second Club

Nice results. How much boost does it actually make? I'm hoping I don't run into the same efficency problem when I start putting my car together next week. Nice numbers through and auto!
Old 05-02-2012 | 10:28 PM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by Avengeance
Final numbers :

843rwhp and 796rwtq.

Considering a small little 370, 4L80E, and 9" its not too shabby. lol

We hit some limits when tuning.... the 4" FMIC is becoming a restriction at 18-20psi... and the PCV system is reaching its limits, lots of accumulation with the itty bitty catch can system Im running. When I get it home Im going to make some changes to the PCV before I run it at the track. Then when the timing and wallet is right Ill switch over to a A2W setup. Then really turn the wick up.... its wants to make more power but we've outgrown a couple components.

Pretty happy right now... cant wait to get it home which should be this weekend.
Did you happen to remove the inlet hat to see how much of a restriction it was? You do know that the blower is capable of making the same power on a 370 as it would on a 427. Engine size has really doesn't have much to do with what the blower is capable of.
Old 05-02-2012 | 10:49 PM
12 Second Club

Do you know how much boost you are loosing through the 4" FMIC? Just curious for personal knowledge. Awesome numbers by the way through a 4L80 and 9"!
Old 05-03-2012 | 06:27 AM
LS1Tech Sponsor
20 Year Member

Nice numbers! Bob

PM's disabled, please e-mail me
E-mail: brutespeed@gmail.comob@brutespeed.com

https://brutespeed.com/ Link to website

Old 05-03-2012 | 12:58 PM
12 Second Club

Thanks everyone.... much appreciated. Cant wait to get to the track.

Originally Posted by Bob@BruteSpeed
Nice numbers! Bob
Thanks Bob... you were a big help with this whole process. I know I PMed you a lot of Qs during my build and I appreciate all your help!

Here is the replacement we used for the intake issue.... we did not try removing the inlet hat. Id love to see what it would do without but its tuned the way its driven as I dont plan on removing it after I get it back. I dont believe there is any other solution then what we did with the alum fabricated intake hat. Bob@brutespeed had a really neat solution with a smaller radiator which allowed a straight shot out of the blower but for now we'll go with what we got.

What will it make?  370 - F1C - E85 - lots of other stuff!-photo-3.jpg

Dont know how much boost we're losing across the FMIC. We are spinning the blower to 73,000 rpm... saw 20-21psi. We originally saw 17psi with the 4.25 pulley... but we were putting in a lot of timing (23*+) to make low 800s at the wheel... with all that timing we felt that it was safer to run more boost and less timing with a smaller pulley... even if the net HP was the same. We put on a 3.7 pulley and with a lot less timing but seeing 20-21psi we were able to net the 843HP/796TQ. It has a lot more in it but we hit the limits of the FMIC and PCV... so for now it is what it is. Im going to address the PCV issue before I hit the track.

*edit*

With the smaller pulley we were able to achieve a safer tune and a lot more power under the curve naturally.
Old 05-04-2012 | 05:48 AM
LS1Tech Sponsor
20 Year Member

Thanks everyone.... much appreciated. Cant wait to get to the track.

Thanks Bob... you were a big help with this whole process. I know I PMed you a lot of Qs during my build and I appreciate all your help!

Here is the replacement we used for the intake issue.... we did not try removing the inlet hat. Id love to see what it would do without but its tuned the way its driven as I dont plan on removing it after I get it back. I dont believe there is any other solution then what we did with the alum fabricated intake hat. Bob@brutespeed had a really neat solution with a smaller radiator which allowed a straight shot out of the blower but for now we'll go with what we got.

Attachment 352400

Dont know how much boost we're losing across the FMIC. We are spinning the blower to 73,000 rpm... saw 20-21psi. We originally saw 17psi with the 4.25 pulley... but we were putting in a lot of timing (23*+) to make low 800s at the wheel... with all that timing we felt that it was safer to run more boost and less timing with a smaller pulley... even if the net HP was the same. We put on a 3.7 pulley and with a lot less timing but seeing 20-21psi we were able to net the 843HP/796TQ. It has a lot more in it but we hit the limits of the FMIC and PCV... so for now it is what it is. Im going to address the PCV issue before I hit the track.

*edit*

With the smaller pulley we were able to achieve a safer tune and a lot more power under the curve naturally.

That inlet hat looks nice! Make sure you put a bracket on it to brace it, or you may lose the inlet hat when you launch the car. Ask me how I know... lol
Bob

PM's disabled, please e-mail me
E-mail: brutespeed@gmail.comob@brutespeed.com

https://brutespeed.com/ Link to website

Old 05-04-2012 | 09:49 AM
12 Second Club

Originally Posted by Bob@BruteSpeed
That inlet hat looks nice! Make sure you put a bracket on it to brace it, or you may lose the inlet hat when you launch the car. Ask me how I know... lol
Bob
Good to know! lol
Old 05-04-2012 | 06:46 PM
12 Second Club

What size headers are you running?
Old 05-04-2012 | 10:49 PM
TECH Fanatic

over looked once again. Meat heads

Originally Posted by 5w20
Did you happen to remove the inlet hat to see how much of a restriction it was? You do know that the blower is capable of making the same power on a 370 as it would on a 427. Engine size has really doesn't have much to do with what the blower is capable of.
Old 05-06-2012 | 03:25 PM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by 5w20
Crank and blower pulley size?
LS2 intake?
What size headers/exhaust?
Engine compression ratio?
Wow.... let me go grab all the specs on the rod weights, individual injector flows, and spark plug gaps then maybe we can have some fun with this thread.
Originally Posted by LS1RedZ
What size headers are you running?
Maybe you will be more lucky than me, or you could just receive a snide remark like I did. I did ask some legit questions according to his thread title. "What will it make?"
Old 06-19-2012 | 12:11 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by JAX04
Sounds like it'll take off for sure!

Thats odd about the elbow, i have the 5" one, and i can stand on it, 250lbs, and it doesnt budge. I believe it has some steel rod inside on the back bone though.

Either way, im excited to see your results, Joe, i was wondering if you were gonna see this thread, lol
Oh yeah I was waiting for results lol. Now I need to get mine on the dyno after I plumb up the vacuum pump to see what it'll do.
Old 06-19-2012 | 12:43 PM
TECH Addict

hell im still waiting for the track numbers! curious what the car weighs too considering you are pushing an iron block. ill bet shes a tire fryer!

Quick Reply: What will it make? 370 - F1C - E85 - lots of other stuff!