Forced Induction Superchargers | Turbochargers | Intercoolers

Supercharger = Insurance Dropped?

Search this Thread

Old 03-03-2012, 12:14 AM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Why would you tell them that in the first place!?!?!?!
Old 03-03-2012, 05:12 AM
Launching!

Originally Posted by xFLG KING PIN
I want it insured so I don't have to work my *** off for another one if my car gets stolen.

I would still have plenty of *** left but I would rather cash the insurance company's check.

Besides if I ever got in an accident I would have to request a blonde claims adjuster to miss the Supercharger on top of the engine and that request alone might tip them off.
Old 03-03-2012, 05:32 AM
11 Second Club

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

They don't do that **** with turbos, they know better.
Old 03-03-2012, 06:24 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

i asked state farms(14yr.member) that too about my modified hawk going from liability to full coverage. i was told that they would have to look over the car, set a value and as long as i keep ALL of the receipts they would cover me. i did my usual " can i get that in writing" and the girl said it would all be written out in the policy.. might pay a little more but still covered. could be because North Dakota doesn't have any safety or emissions inspections (?) ... car is still broken and still on liability though

... depending on what vehicle you have and blower selection, if it's a supercharger that is GM authorized and installed i would think they would cover you

Last edited by hawk584; 03-03-2012 at 06:31 AM.
Old 03-03-2012, 08:33 AM
TECH Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Stangkilr
I went through "collector car insurance group" I have my car covered for 50k and its $800/yr. I am 25.
this is what i do also. you have to do a little more work but it is totally worth it. i use american modern and they have been excellent. they even covered my 85 regal with 6.0 t76 without incident.
Old 03-03-2012, 08:38 AM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by robbyredneck
this is what i do also. you have to do a little more work but it is totally worth it. i use american modern and they have been excellent. they even covered my 85 regal with 6.0 t76 without incident.
Yeah, I spent 2 hours with my agent going through paper work and pictures. Worth every penny though.
Old 03-03-2012, 08:39 AM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by No Hope
Thanks that is what I was looking for.

How did they know about your mods? Did you tell them?
I told them EVERYTHING. I had to so its all covered incase something bad happens.
Old 03-03-2012, 02:22 PM
9 Second Club

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

A lot of mods out there clearly state for "off road use only" or "non highway use". In my state things like altering the exhaust or removing the cats is considered illegal. ORY or off road Y pipe, nope not legal lol. Even most aftermarket heads are not legal in states like Cali as they require CARB ratings. I believe the AFR 205's are CARB legal and so is the P1SC procharger but most other stuff is "for racing use only".
Old 03-03-2012, 06:09 PM
9 Second Club

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I got 20k additional coverage over the value of the car.
1st, don't tell them you are racing it. Thats an instant drop.
2nd, declare it as a show car that will see some weekend cruising. They will insure it as a low mileage/pleasure vehicle.
3rd, get a copy of all your receipts to your agent or if anything to have for your records.
4th, get pics of everything.

I have coverage now, but I was dropped from my insurance company as the car wasn't complete at the time the appraiser came out. Had nothing to do with the turbo setup or anything. It was a matter of not being drivable at that time. Now that I'm tuned and driving I was put back on and covered. My insurance actually went down because of the way they classed the car as a pleasure/show car and not a daily driving type policy. I can't drive it more than 6k miles a year which is well within the amount of miles I put on it anyway.
Old 03-03-2012, 06:11 PM
9 Second Club

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by xFLG KING PIN
Because people put far more money into their cars than what they are worth. Why would you not want to be covered? It's like having a baby and saying, "shhhh, lets not add him/her onto our policy and tell our insurance."
Old 03-03-2012, 06:20 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by willizm
I got 20k additional coverage over the value of the car.
1st, don't tell them you are racing it. Thats an instant drop.
2nd, declare it as a show car that will see some weekend cruising. They will insure it as a low mileage/pleasure vehicle.
3rd, get a copy of all your receipts to your agent or if anything to have for your records.
4th, get pics of everything.

I have coverage now, but I was dropped from my insurance company as the car wasn't complete at the time the appraiser came out. Had nothing to do with the turbo setup or anything. It was a matter of not being drivable at that time. Now that I'm tuned and driving I was put back on and covered. My insurance actually went down because of the way they classed the car as a pleasure/show car and not a daily driving type policy. I can't drive it more than 6k miles a year which is well within the amount of miles I put on it anyway.

That's some great advice, what insurance company do you use?

Quick Reply: Supercharger = Insurance Dropped?