Forced Induction Superchargers | Turbochargers | Intercoolers

Supercharger = Insurance Dropped?

Search this Thread

Old 03-02-2012, 05:10 PM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Supercharger = Insurance Dropped?

I'm planning a Supercharger install in the next month or two so while I was at my insurance agents office paying a premium I asked "hypothetically" how much my insurance would go up if I wanted to have the Supercharger covered on my policy.

My agent called the underwriters and they said that a Supercharger that is not part of the original equipment by the manufacture is considered a maximum performance upgrade and my policy "might" not be renewed.

Has anybody ran into this bullshit? I've been working 2 jobs to save up enough money for a Supercharger.

Before you post it, I know DON'T TELL THEM. If I'm adding $7000 worth of hardware under the hood I would like to get another one if it gets stolen without working 2 jobs again.
Old 03-02-2012, 05:13 PM
TECH Resident

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by No Hope
I'm planning a Supercharger install in the next month or two so while I was at my insurance agents office paying a premium I asked "hypothetically" how much my insurance would go up if I wanted to have the Supercharger covered on my policy.

My agent called the underwriters and they said that a Supercharger that is not part of the original equipment by the manufacture is considered a maximum performance upgrade and my policy "might" not be renewed.

Has anybody ran into this bullshit? I've been working 2 jobs to save up enough money for a Supercharger.

Before you post it, I know DON'T TELL THEM. If I'm adding $7000 worth of hardware under the hood I would like to get another one if it gets stolen without working 2 jobs again.
Never heard of being canceled, if you don't drive a ton of miles you might be able to find some type of specialty insurance or just call around and you can prob find somebody to cover it
Old 03-02-2012, 05:21 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Just tell them you'll be looking for a different insurance company if they won't insure it.
Old 03-02-2012, 05:37 PM
10 Second Club

I have never really disclosed what i had done to my vehicle. But I have my vehicle insured as a collectors or specialized vehicle. Then you take it to an independent appraiser to have it appraised, and hold on to that report for when and if something happens. This is a good idea regardless if you are going to carry extra insurance. A friend of mine was hit by a drunk driver while driving his show truck. That Appraisal is what got him the money for his vehicle he deserved. Another persons insurance is going to try to pay you as little as possible.
Old 03-02-2012, 05:41 PM
Launching!

This can't be right, my agent must have talked to some pimple headed kid fresh out of bean counter school. I would think the aftermarket companies wouldn't stand for it.

Is there anyone out there who has a Supercharger added on their policy? Or did I asked my insurance agent the worst question I could have asked?
Old 03-02-2012, 05:48 PM
Staging Lane

Default SC and Ins

You might check out Chrome ins group (big on Power Tour)...it's my understanding they'll cover our cars for apprx $20K without apprasial..

A good company that understands performance and "semi" classics.

Good Luck
Old 03-02-2012, 05:55 PM
DMM
TECH Fanatic

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Don't really understand what the big deal is...if you ever have any type of claim they are going to drop you anyhow. That is the new business tactic they use...everyone gets dropped, everyone get charged more from that point on.
Old 03-02-2012, 05:57 PM
TECH Fanatic

My insurance company came out and vauled my car and showed them how much i spent and what was done. Insurance went up a little bit but all of the performance parts are covered if in a crash
Old 03-02-2012, 06:13 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by DMM
Don't really understand what the big deal is...if you ever have any type of claim they are going to drop you anyhow. That is the new business tactic they use...everyone gets dropped, everyone get charged more from that point on.

My truck was totaled in a flood last July, they paid my $4000 more than what I paid for the truck and my insurance didn't go up a dime.

Its State Farm and I've been with them for 30 years. I don't want to change but I would like some feed back before I press it with them.
Old 03-02-2012, 06:22 PM
TECH Enthusiast

You need to find a new insurance company if that is their position as it will only get worse if you need them. As stated above there are plenty of companies out there that will cover your upgrades without all the BS. I use Grundy and have had a claim in the past without an issue.
Old 03-02-2012, 06:22 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I have state farm as well and as long as you don't need to make a claim they are happy to take your money and be a good neighbor. On my motorcycle they straight out told me if I get a ticket, wreck or anything they would drop me. Is that like a good neighbor? Seems like a bad neighbor to me.
Old 03-02-2012, 06:27 PM
Captain Double Post

Jtot, has the right idea. Special insurance lil collector car is the way to go. Im sure there are options to get it covered. I think its called grundey collector car isurance. Call around imo I would have told them to suck it. There are options out there you can take to get things like mods covered.might be a lil harder to do on a dd but a weekend car you should have no issues.I know I looked at a c5z a few years ago and for some reason my insurance company wont cover that car lol pretty gay if you ask me
Old 03-02-2012, 06:50 PM
TT-TECH Veteran

Mine just adds a customazation (SP?) policy to my cars (Farmers, but previously State Farm).
Old 03-02-2012, 06:56 PM
Launching!

I still have seen any post from people who have ran into this. It makes me think the underwriter was just being a dick.

If I change insurance companies my rate will go up at least 25% to 35%.

I'm writing down the names of the other insurance companies everyone has posted, thank you.
Old 03-02-2012, 07:07 PM
10 Second Club

The issue is the underwriter sees the whole picture we are just looking at parts of it. I know of plenty of people who have been dropped from insurance for making modifications to their car as well as plenty of people who have had claims not paid\partially paid because of modifications to their car. The underwriters job is decide if your situation is worth the risk. This is based on your credit, accident history, age, driving record. Some of those things I believe are not fair indicators but this is the reality of it. So basically if they feel that based on the entire picture insuring you is a risk they may drop you. That is their right as a business.

As another example not car related a friend had a couple claims on her house due to natural disasters. They decided to drop her because they didn't feel it was worth the risk. Mind you this is in Arizona where there are no real known natural disasters. Been with the company for 30 years as well. This is the joy of insurance companies.
Old 03-02-2012, 07:22 PM
11 Second Club

I got a letter from American Family insurance 2 months ago saying they dropped the 2002 because I use it to race. My agent didnt know a thing about it when I called him. He ended up getting me setup with some other policy for more coverage and its cheaper.
Old 03-02-2012, 07:30 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by jtotheizzo
The issue is the underwriter sees the whole picture we are just looking at parts of it. I know of plenty of people who have been dropped from insurance for making modifications to their car as well as plenty of people who have had claims not paid\partially paid because of modifications to their car. The underwriters job is decide if your situation is worth the risk. This is based on your credit, accident history, age, driving record. Some of those things I believe are not fair indicators but this is the reality of it. So basically if they feel that based on the entire picture insuring you is a risk they may drop you. That is their right as a business.

As another example not car related a friend had a couple claims on her house due to natural disasters. They decided to drop her because they didn't feel it was worth the risk. Mind you this is in Arizona where there are no real known natural disasters. Been with the company for 30 years as well. This is the joy of insurance companies.

She didn't give the underwriter my name or any information about me. She just gave the info about the car. It was on a speaker phone and I was sitting there when the underwriter made the statement.

He sounded like a young kid who was quoting out of a book
Old 03-02-2012, 07:32 PM
TECH Addict

Geico sent me a letter last week, letting me know that due to the amount of modifications on my car including the s/c they will no longer be covering me. so yes it does happen.
Old 03-02-2012, 07:33 PM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by I8UR4RD
Geico sent me a letter last week, letting me know that due to the amount of modifications on my car including the s/c they will no longer be covering me. so yes it does happen.
I went through "collector car insurance group" I have my car covered for 50k and its $800/yr. I am 25.
Old 03-02-2012, 07:47 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by I8UR4RD

Thanks that is what I was looking for.

How did they know about your mods? Did you tell them?

Quick Reply: Supercharger = Insurance Dropped?