Forced Induction Superchargers | Turbochargers | Intercoolers

Blowing through converter or something else? "pic of log included"

Search this Thread

Old 03-13-2012, 01:41 PM
TECH Addict

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Blowing through converter or something else? "pic of log included"

I'm having some top end problems with my truck. I have an FTI 10.5" 4000 converter built for my turbo single cab. I was logging my truck last night and noticed that my rpm's flat lined at 5400 then actually went down 50rpm or so while still at WOT then shot up to 5700 right when it shifted and then proceeded down to 4900rpm and thru the Whole WOt the MPH only went up a few MPH. If I hit it from a low roll I feel the power come in hard and then it just falls on it's face and while doing a high roll I never really feel any power the way I feel it should be pulling!

Here's what I have in my build

Lq4
PB 60E
FTI 10.5"
Isky 215/112*
s475 1.10AR T-6 12psi
.660 springs (could this be a problem?)

I don't think the tranny is slipping because I feel it shifting firmly and the tranny stays around 145*

I have a screenshot of the WOT pass that I will try and put up! Any info will be appreciated!

Pic of new log included with new problems on page 2 lol!
Attached Thumbnails Blowing through converter or something else? "pic of log included"-log.jpg  

Last edited by slowlsx; 03-16-2012 at 12:38 AM.
Old 03-13-2012, 03:13 PM
TECH Enthusiast

....something else
Old 03-13-2012, 06:23 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 69 Likes on 61 Posts

Logging fuel pressure?
NE knock seen on the log[s]?
Old 03-13-2012, 10:31 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

^^^ I dont think its a fuel issue wb is perfect and the duty cycles not off the map..
gap on plugs?? could be blowing them out. lock the tranny in third and do a roll pull with the tranny locked in third (log input shaft and output shaft)that will tell you if the tranny is slipping, you can also compare tcc slip vs input shaft but it really hard to tell.
MY.02 your blowing through the converter.... how old are the valve springs and lift on cam?
Old 03-13-2012, 10:34 PM
TECH Enthusiast

It would not be dropping rpm if it was blowing through the converter...maybe the tc locking and unlocking for some weird reason but not blowing through it
Old 03-13-2012, 10:44 PM
TECH Fanatic

I cant see the lock up only dropping 50rpm at wot.
but yes after saying that it would hang up in the higher rpms if it was blowing through.
still think
Old 03-13-2012, 10:56 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by 9sectruck
^^^ I dont think its a fuel issue wb is perfect and the duty cycles not off the map..
gap on plugs?? could be blowing them out. lock the tranny in third and do a roll pull with the tranny locked in third (log input shaft and output shaft)that will tell you if the tranny is slipping, you can also compare tcc slip vs input shaft but it really hard to tell.
MY.02 your blowing through the converter.... how old are the valve springs and lift on cam?
Las I remember I believe my gap is .032 I need to pull them and check. If they are intact .032 should I gap them tighter?

I don't think the converter will like me locking it up lol since it's it a triple disk. When I log input and output shaft what numbers am I looking for to tell if it's slipping?

The springs I really couldn't say how many miles are on them but I do know that the lift on the cam is .550ish on both sides
Old 03-13-2012, 11:50 PM
9 Second Truck Club

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Sounds like a ignition or valve float problem. I'd tighten the gap up to .026'' and try it. Also wouldn't hurt to pull valve covers and look for a possible broken inner or outer valve spring. That cam should pull good to 6200-6400 with that turbo.
Old 03-14-2012, 12:35 AM
TECH Addict

^ I'll give these a try before I pull out the converter!
Old 03-14-2012, 08:03 AM
TECH Fanatic

when you pull up the input shaft and output shaft in the scanner the two numbers should be spot on to each other. third gear is 1:1 so if the tranny is slipping the output shaft will have a slower speed then the input shaft, telling you the 3-4 pack clutchs are not holding.
agine use the scanner to comande/lock the tranny in third gear before you start the pull, I would lock it in around 45mph that way you can get a full long pull on the tranny.
I have my engine plug gap aroung 25 on the 12psi. The factory coils are pretty damn strong.
Old 03-14-2012, 02:31 PM
TECH Addict

when you pull up the input shaft and output shaft in the scanner the two numbers should be spot on to each other. third gear is 1:1 so if the tranny is slipping the output shaft will have a slower speed then the input shaft, telling you the 3-4 pack clutchs are not holding.
agine use the scanner to comande/lock the tranny in third gear before you start the pull, I would lock it in around 45mph that way you can get a full long pull on the tranny.
I have my engine plug gap aroung 25 on the 12psi. The factory coils are pretty damn strong.
So by logging the input/output shafts that's going to tell me wether my tranny is slipping, not if my converter is blowing through correct?

If spark is being blown out it would cause the rpm's to just hang there like that? I figured they would go up like normal just no power would be there.
Old 03-14-2012, 03:05 PM
TECH Fanatic

yes that will tell you if the trannys slipping only. nothing with converter.
if you are blowing out spark the engine can not rev.
when you blow out spark its basically the same as a 2 step it will cut spark to keep at a floating rpm
Old 03-14-2012, 03:17 PM
TECH Addict

yes that will tell you if the trannys slipping only. nothing with converter.
if you are blowing out spark the engine can not rev.
when you blow out spark its basically the same as a 2 step it will cut spark to keep at a floating rpm
Yea I was doing some research on spark blowout and they say the Rpms dip momentarily which is what it's doing but they also say the afr's will get fat, wonder if that's the case all the time because my fuel looks perfect.
Old 03-14-2012, 03:34 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by stock48
Sounds like a ignition or valve float problem. I'd tighten the gap up to .026'' and try it. Also wouldn't hurt to pull valve covers and look for a possible broken inner or outer valve spring. That cam should pull good to 6200-6400 with that turbo.
Yeah for sure I had TR6 plugs at .035 and it was running like crap above 5000rpm, put in new TR6s with the default gap of .024 or whatever it is and it fixed it, runs perfectly for a few months on those plugs. Setup is a 6.0 and 76mm turbo at 7psi using stock coils.
Old 03-14-2012, 03:40 PM
TECH Fanatic

if you tuned the car while it was blowing spark out then you probably pulled the fuel out as it started to fatin up as the spark was blowing out.
Old 03-14-2012, 04:07 PM
TECH Addict

if you tuned the car while it was blowing spark out then you probably pulled the fuel out as it started to fatin up as the spark was blowing out.
Ding ding ding! Now that I think about it all of the sudden it would start to go rich at WOT and I figured it was doing so because of the weather change so I started adjusting it. So I should be really careful when I tighten up the gap because it's going to be very lean if that was the problem!

Would that explain why when I give it maybe half throttle it would only make about 7psi and run like a bat out of hell vs me going WOT and making full 12psi and spark blowing out?
Old 03-14-2012, 09:01 PM
TECH Fanatic

well **** after 10mins of typing my computer crashed and lost everything I wrote.
but yes more boost will actually raise static compression in the cylinder, which kinda acts like a insulator inside the cylinder that effects the spark, its hard to explain how compression in the cylinder effects the spark
on your tune add sum fuel and retard sum timing to be safe taking off again
Old 03-14-2012, 10:03 PM
TECH Addict

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

What is your RPM going through the traps? Take that and your MPH, rear gear, tire size and you can figure out how many RPMS you blowing through. My Nova had a shitty converter in it and I was going through the traps like 1000 rpms higher than I should have. I was hitting 131mph but with my tire size, gear ratio, and RPM it calculated out that I should have been doing like 160mph+ lol.... thats blowing through the converter.

If yours is doing that between shifts, that would be slipping... could be line pressure, bad pump, clutch packs, heat, or something else related. It could still shift hard... Unless you sustain those shift points where your slipping its not going to over heat. Only way to really know is to log it and thats what you did and thats what it looks like to me.

Last edited by pwrtrip75; 03-14-2012 at 10:09 PM.
Old 03-15-2012, 10:34 PM
TECH Addict

Well I tightened up the gap from .032 to .025 and it was 1/4 quart low on tranny fluid so I topped it off and gave it a go. Seems like It fixed it but now i have a new problem I'll post up a picture of the log. Seems like the converter is locking as soon as I go into 3rd or right before 2nd but then unlocks right away or atleast that is what if felt like. Rpm's dropped 1000rpm then went right back up and started pulling.
Old 03-15-2012, 10:50 PM
TECH Fanatic

you have a pm

Quick Reply: Blowing through converter or something else? "pic of log included"