Forced Induction Superchargers | Turbochargers | Intercoolers

Technical quetions for my custom procharger kit

Search this Thread

Old 03-13-2012, 03:25 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Technical quetions for my custom procharger kit

Background: I am fabbing up an unintercooled (possibly meth later) procharger kit and have some technical questions. The car is a stock LS6 '05 cts-v. I want to run 6-7 lbs. Here is a couple pictures that are very close to the setup I want to do.

Topic 1: MAF
Do I want to try and set it up as a blow-through or draw-through? The pic above obviously is draw-through. I'm not sure where I'm going to stick the MAF yet as everything is going to be pretty crammed, but I need to know where I CAN put it. I don't have much piping to work with. What are the restrictions on where i put it, ie: you need some amount of straight pipe before the MAF to get a good reading. Also, stock MAF should be fine right?

Topic 2: Bypass Valve
At this boost level, do I need any more than just the regular bypass valve like the one seen here:

Is it going to hurt anything if I ran it VTA even though the air it will be venting will be metered since this will probably all be after the MAF? I plan on doing the regular recirculation for smog, but if I can VTA I'd rather do that.

BTW, I'm not really looking for criticism's on running unintercooled as I've done a good amount of research and know what I'm getting into. There will surely be more questions coming as I get further into this.

Thanks!
Old 03-13-2012, 08:00 PM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

add a small meth system to your recipe and you will be fine.

I ran a P1 for a while at 10psi, no intercoolers, but with meth.

Another old timer on here ran a V1 vortech pullied up to 15psi, with no intercooler, just meth and it did great.
Old 03-13-2012, 08:18 PM
10 Second Club

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I have never seen a procharger set up have a drawn threw MAF set up. And I am willing to bet that that car has an SD tune(no MAF). Also I think the MAF needs to be in the charge pipe and after the BOV inorder to properly control idle fueling also why I don't think you could run the MAF infront of the head unit.

And for 6psi non intercooled should be ok. But adding a Meth kit will really help
Old 03-14-2012, 12:41 AM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by dschmittie1
I have never seen a procharger set up have a drawn threw MAF set up. And I am willing to bet that that car has an SD tune(no MAF). Also I think the MAF needs to be in the charge pipe and after the BOV inorder to properly control idle fueling also why I don't think you could run the MAF infront of the head unit.

And for 6psi non intercooled should be ok. But adding a Meth kit will really help
I forgot, that's something I wanted to ask about, what do I need to do to run no maf? Are there downsides to it?

And I will probably be adding a trunk mount 3 gallon meth kit, i just want to see the results without first.
Old 03-14-2012, 07:08 AM
TECH Apprentice

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Have your tuner do a speed density tune to delete the MAF.
Old 03-14-2012, 11:12 AM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by GarrettM
Have your tuner do a speed density tune to delete the MAF.
What would a tuner usually charge for an SD tune? Normal tunes rule of thumb is $500 so I'm curious on SD.

Quick Reply: Technical quetions for my custom procharger kit