Forced Induction Superchargers | Turbochargers | Intercoolers

Methanol pre-blower results

Search this Thread

Old 03-20-2012, 02:15 PM
10 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Methanol pre-blower results

Long story short, I have made a Eaton 112 S/C setup for my motor that has no heat exchanger. My local tuner recommended an Alky control system and to spray it in the manifold below the blower. I called to order a kit from Alky control and he stated that placing the nozzle in front of the throttle body was the way to go. I have heard from a few people who tune and dyno these setups everyday that spraying meth before the blower yields minimal results.

Does anyone have results from same day testing with meth using a nozzle before the blower? IAT temps with and without meth on.

Thanks
Old 03-20-2012, 03:26 PM
TECH Resident

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

I have the intercooled maggie and on a fairly cool day we were seeing 135* IAT's when tuning. That was without meth. I haven't installed a meth kit yet but with as hot as the maggie run you really cant go wrong from everything I have read. I know GMHTP did one on a Camaro with a tvs unit. I dont remember if it was before or after the TB but it was definately before the blower. It cooled it down A LOT! They picked up close to 100 rwhp/tq if I remember correctly. There is some talk about the meth being hard on the rotors in the blower but not enough to worry about.

I know the blower itself gets hot enough wrinkle the paint on it. I have watched mine melt a bag of ice in no time. So to run the meth through the blower will definately help. Get it hooked up and let is know how it works.
Old 03-20-2012, 06:47 PM
FormerVendor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Its really hard to nail down how effective it is, until you see what you can get away with. On the ZR1s, we can pic up 30-50 rwhp, spraying pre- blower.
Old 03-21-2012, 04:30 AM
9 Second Club

Received 180 Likes on 155 Posts

As long as the rotors can handle it, there should be no downsides really. But if you're spraying between the TB and rotors you'll need some sort of solenoid so they dont draw fluid in due to vacuum.

If it's in front of the TB you should be fine. I'd still say for better cooling though, and given how hot the air can get that using 50/50 water/meth will be better. The water will continue cooling long after the methanol has evaporated
Old 03-21-2012, 04:55 AM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Eaton doesnt recomend any meth being put pre-blower due to it stripping the coating off of the rotors.
Old 03-21-2012, 04:58 AM
9 Second Club

Received 180 Likes on 155 Posts

Originally Posted by chance575
Eaton doesnt recomend any meth being put pre-blower due to it stripping the coating off of the rotors.
But water should be safe ? And is the better cooling agent, especially when temperatures are higher.
Old 03-22-2012, 06:38 AM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I've personally had great results with spraying pre compressor in combination with post compressor...
Old 03-22-2012, 10:40 AM
10 Second Club

Originally Posted by chance575
I personally would strip off the coating before it flakes off anyways as this is the norm in the SVT world. I done it to both svt vehicles I used to have. A 01 Lightning and an 03 Cobra with no boost loss or issues either.
Old 03-22-2012, 11:58 AM
TECH Resident

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by JRENIGAR
I personally would strip off the coating before it flakes off anyways as this is the norm in the SVT world. I done it to both svt vehicles I used to have. A 01 Lightning and an 03 Cobra with no boost loss or issues either.
From all that I have read the boost loss, if any, is very minimal and easily compensated for with a slightly smaller pulley (or larger crank).

How much power were you able to pick up when adding meth? How much did the IAT's drop? How much additional timing were you able to add?
Old 03-22-2012, 03:59 PM
10 Second Club

Originally Posted by kyoytey1693
From all that I have read the boost loss, if any, is very minimal and easily compensated for with a slightly smaller pulley (or larger crank).

How much power were you able to pick up when adding meth? How much did the IAT's drop? How much additional timing were you able to add?
I apologise if my comment was confusing, I just meant that I tore the blower down and noticed the coating starting to flake off from normal use. I decided to use aluminum aircraft stripper avaliable from wal-mart to strip off the remaining coating to keep the intercooler core from being stopped up. I never used meth or nitrous but both vehicles were used when I bought them so I cant say if either were ever used.

Quick Reply: Methanol pre-blower results