Forced Induction Superchargers | Turbochargers | Intercoolers

1977 Trans Am Rear Mount Turbo 5.3 build (Rob Raymers old TA) Dyno Results 759hp

Search this Thread

Old 03-25-2012, 09:41 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

So this thing has some heavy parts with the 9" rear end and turbo 400 trans...so the car is a little "chunky"....these things weighed 3605 from the factory with the heavy Pontiac engines. The 5.3 is a little lighter thankfully but I would still guess its going to be around 3700lbs or so.
I can get a pretty big tire under it, so that's at least a strong point. It's going to be a fun little experience. I'm going to push this 5.3 and see what it can take and how much this turbo can produce. I've got another engine ready to drop in when needed

Thanks

Billy
Old 03-25-2012, 09:44 PM
On The Tree

Oh...and more pictures tomorrow... They are working on it tonight doing some pipe plumbing. Should see some nice progress now that the turbo arrived!!
Old 03-26-2012, 05:31 AM
On The Tree

Default few updated pictures...

So here's a few updated pics of the build so far. The intercooler piping is all done, along with the piping up to the intake manifold. They've also completed some more of the routing for the cold side under the car. I think its coming together very nicely!!
Attached Thumbnails 1977 Trans Am Rear Mount Turbo 5.3 build (Rob Raymers old TA) Dyno Results 759hp-photo-mar-26-6-18-25-am.jpg   1977 Trans Am Rear Mount Turbo 5.3 build (Rob Raymers old TA) Dyno Results 759hp-photo-mar-26-6-18-30-am.jpg   1977 Trans Am Rear Mount Turbo 5.3 build (Rob Raymers old TA) Dyno Results 759hp-photo-mar-26-6-18-35-am.jpg   1977 Trans Am Rear Mount Turbo 5.3 build (Rob Raymers old TA) Dyno Results 759hp-photo-mar-26-6-18-40-am.jpg   1977 Trans Am Rear Mount Turbo 5.3 build (Rob Raymers old TA) Dyno Results 759hp-photo-mar-26-6-18-47-am.jpg  

Old 03-26-2012, 09:10 AM
TECH Regular

Looks good man...are those ebay valve covers? If so, i have the same ones! Set-up looks sweet man!
Old 03-26-2012, 07:37 PM
On The Tree

So saw this mentioned on another thread and figured I'd ask about it. I know these comp turbo's spool really quick, but what do you think about a little shot of nitrous to help it along in the beginning??? Good idea or bad???

And dee....yeap on the valve covers
Old 03-27-2012, 05:26 PM
TECH Regular

I've been hearing that it prob won't be needed since the turbo spools so fast. If you need help with the turbo spooling early, Justin from Comp Turbo recommended a quick spool valve. I personally am trying to stay away from filling bottles...that't exactly why i am going the turbo route...lol! Same reason why i'm going e85 and staying away from meth injection. Don't want to rely on refilling bottles or buying more meth.

Anyway, here's a video of how beneficial the quick spool valve is with turbos that take forever to spool if you've never seen it.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_KNLKVgg8po
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I6ZCOTFET6s

Last edited by deeloc1; 03-28-2012 at 06:06 PM.
Old 03-27-2012, 09:25 PM
On The Tree

I've heard these things spool like MAD...so hoping the length and size of piping won't affect it too much and create any delay. It doesn't seem to delay Robs vette any! We had the two vette's in Cinci one night and were doing some street racing and I swear that turbo hit about as hard as my TVS2300 did from the time we nailed it and took off. It was crazy how fast it picked up!! Just figured i'd ask Thanks for the vid dee...thats freakin impressive!
Old 03-27-2012, 10:07 PM
Teching In

"Quick Spool Valve"?? Son of a B**** that is just a much crappier version of my Progressive Turbo Lag Elimination or PTLE invention!! Son of a b****. Sigh. At least my own car has superior technology to this "Quick Spool Valve" device, even if I didn't get it out to everybody else. sigh.
Old 03-28-2012, 04:49 PM
On The Tree

Deeloc....

The more I think about your setup in the back of an ElCamino the badder I think that is man!! Thats going to be nothing but FLAT OUT COOL!!!

So... I gotta say something about Unleashed Performance and Rob Raymer in particular. He had a vision for this car back when I bought it from him that he wanted to see complete. For the most part i've let him run with his vision of the car for a couple reasons. First and foremost, its BAD ARZZ!!! The ideas and little things that most people don't think about he does, and its coming through in the build of this car. For example, the old exhaust on these cars with the two pipes turned down behind the rear tire. Rob contacted stainless works to make a set of 3" old school style twin pipes to match the stock look. This will come off the turbo and turn into these pipes... Very cool!! The ideas he's come up with on the fuel system bracketry and mounts in the trunk are awesome as well. Nobody likes looking at holes in the trunk with bolts or things poking through... Robs shop has built custom brackets to make sure there are no bolts through the trunk for mounting the fuel cell, battery or anything else.

I just really appreciate the attention to detail and care he's putting into this things.

Billy
Old 03-29-2012, 07:28 AM
On The Tree

With the availability of E85 around my area, rob and I figured we'd go that route for a little more power. This will be my first E85 car, so should be interesting we've got the fuel system mapped out and some brackets being water jetted right now for the fuel pump mounts. Soon as they are complete and on the car I'll load up some more pictures. The fuel cell mount is complete along with rear battery tray so some good progress so far.

Thanks

Billy
Old 03-29-2012, 06:15 PM
TECH Regular

Going e85 now?! NICE! That thing should make some great power! Good luck with traction...lol!
Old 03-29-2012, 08:15 PM
On The Tree

Thanks man..... I'm hoping so

Do you have a build thread going for the elcamino? I got a g-body with a front mounted turbo that I'm hoping to wrap up soon as well. Been working on that thing forever lol.... but it's getting closer! I got a few Pics of it in the garage... 1980 Malibu with a 540cid bbc and a 110mm big thumper turbo.

Anyway good luck on yours man, can't wait to see that thing!
Old 03-30-2012, 08:57 AM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by Talon77
Thanks man..... I'm hoping so

Do you have a build thread going for the elcamino? I got a g-body with a front mounted turbo that I'm hoping to wrap up soon as well. Been working on that thing forever lol.... but it's getting closer! I got a few Pics of it in the garage... 1980 Malibu with a 540cid bbc and a 110mm big thumper turbo.

Anyway good luck on yours man, can't wait to see that thing!
I don't have a build thread...still waiting on parts. Waiting on my mandrel bends and hooker manifolds as we speak. Gotta go buy some welding gas and then I'll start working on the hot side once that stuff is delivered!
Old 04-03-2012, 07:30 PM
FormerVendor

Thumbs up

Originally Posted by Talon77
So... I gotta say something about Unleashed Performance and Rob Raymer in particular. He had a vision for this car back when I bought it from him that he wanted to see complete. For the most part i've let him run with his vision of the car for a couple reasons. First and foremost, its BAD ARZZ!!! The ideas and little things that most people don't think about he does, and its coming through in the build of this car. For example, the old exhaust on these cars with the two pipes turned down behind the rear tire. Rob contacted stainless works to make a set of 3" old school style twin pipes to match the stock look. This will come off the turbo and turn into these pipes... Very cool!! The ideas he's come up with on the fuel system bracketry and mounts in the trunk are awesome as well. Nobody likes looking at holes in the trunk with bolts or things poking through... Robs shop has built custom brackets to make sure there are no bolts through the trunk for mounting the fuel cell, battery or anything else.

I just really appreciate the attention to detail and care he's putting into this things.

Billy
Wow Billy, when I said talk us up, you went all out!! (j/k, I never asked. Cuz I didn't need to, lol)

Anyway, thank you VERY much for everything you've said and done for myself, and my business. You've stuck with me through thick and thin (literally) and dare I say, you're one of my longest standing customers? Like 10-11yrs?? However long it's been, I'm just glad we've gotten to be friends as well. And I apologize that it took so long to post in your thread, but as you know, we've been overwhelmed at the shop for the last 6-8 weeks. And this is one of the first days I've been home before midnight.

As far as the Trans Am build, it's going really well. And more importantly, I'm glad YOU like it! This thing WILL be at Car Wars at the end of the month. Providing the fairly-stock 5.3 doesn't object. I can't wait for you to see everything when it's done. Personally, i think this is one of the coolest builds ever. But of course I'm biased. (btw, deeloc's build is wicked too!)

Gotta get back to answering some PM's now. But I'll see you at the dyno in the morning with your other sleeper.....
Old 04-03-2012, 08:43 PM
On The Tree

Haha well thanks Rob. The car is coming along great man, thanks a ton for all you guys do on it!!! And yes..I still have the LID on my 2001 firehawk from your first shop!

See ya tomorrow at the dyno for "sleeper #2" lol

Billy
Old 04-09-2012, 06:22 AM
On The Tree

Here's a few updated pictures of the Trans Am. Turbo is mounted and hot/cold side are ran. I really like that if you look under the car, it looks like just plain dual exhaust on the car when its really the turbo piping.
Also, the 3" dual exhaust tips are in place for the "sleeper" affect
The goal is to have this thing done for the Street car shootout at the end of this month! Should be fun!!

Thanks,

Billy
Attached Thumbnails 1977 Trans Am Rear Mount Turbo 5.3 build (Rob Raymers old TA) Dyno Results 759hp-duals.jpg   1977 Trans Am Rear Mount Turbo 5.3 build (Rob Raymers old TA) Dyno Results 759hp-turbo_mount_bar.jpg   1977 Trans Am Rear Mount Turbo 5.3 build (Rob Raymers old TA) Dyno Results 759hp-rear_view2.jpg   1977 Trans Am Rear Mount Turbo 5.3 build (Rob Raymers old TA) Dyno Results 759hp-side_exhaust.jpg   1977 Trans Am Rear Mount Turbo 5.3 build (Rob Raymers old TA) Dyno Results 759hp-turbo_mounted.jpg  

Old 04-09-2012, 09:04 AM
TECH Addict

I have been wondering about these comp turbos. Funny a buddy of mine has a very similar car with an 8.1 in it and we want to turbo it as well. Lots of good ideas
Old 04-09-2012, 09:59 AM
Coal Mining Director

Those exhaust tips are KILLER.
Old 04-09-2012, 06:38 PM
TECH Regular

That turbo placement is SICK!!! Exact position i was thinking of in the bed! Sick, sick build man!
Old 04-09-2012, 07:20 PM
On The Tree

Haha thanks dee I'm getting pretty stoked about it getting closer! Soon as we get it fired up and running I'll post some vids up of it. My local track has a car wars on April 29th...that's really what I'm shooting for!!!
How's yours coming around? Gathering any more parts yet?
Thanks for the tips comment fire... They are seriously old SkEwL cool

Thanks

Billy

Quick Reply: 1977 Trans Am Rear Mount Turbo 5.3 build (Rob Raymers old TA) Dyno Results 759hp