Forced Induction Superchargers | Turbochargers | Intercoolers

Supercharger Heat Soak

Search this Thread

Old 03-24-2012, 11:05 AM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Supercharger Heat Soak

Does anyone know which one dissipates heat better or runs at a lower temperature, painted or polished aluminum superchargers?

It would make sense that the polished aluminum would transfer heat better but what little info I can find says the painted surface works better. Does anyone know for sure?

Whipple or Maggie is what I'm curious about but please post on any supercharger you have experience with.
Old 03-24-2012, 12:51 PM
TECH Addict

Received 41 Likes on 29 Posts

Rough cast dissipates the fastest due to the greater surface area, but comparing it to painted or polished, the time difference is negligible

Pick whichever fits your budget and looks appealing to you
Old 03-24-2012, 01:16 PM
TECH Apprentice

Polished surfaces dissipate heat better in applications where they see direct light. The polished surface reflects light, instead of absorbing the heat from the light.

Otherwise, Pocket is right. The rough casting increases surface area and has a greater cooling capability.
Old 03-24-2012, 01:19 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by fknsmshn
Polished surfaces dissipate heat better in applications where they see direct light. The polished surface reflects light, instead of absorbing the heat from the light.

Otherwise, Pocket is right. The rough casting increases surface area and has a greater cooling capability.

Thanks for the input.

I knew the rough casting was better but my two choices are painted black or polished aluminum. Any thoughts there?
Old 03-25-2012, 02:08 AM
Launching!

This isn't going well, I will send an e mail to Whipple and ask them for an answer but I think I sent one in the past and got no response.
Old 03-26-2012, 07:20 AM
TECH Addict

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Go for a liquid cooled option!
Old 03-26-2012, 12:43 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by chuntington101
Go for a liquid cooled option!

Any idea how much more money that option is?
Old 03-26-2012, 12:58 PM
Launching!

I just called the Whipple tech support people and they claim there is no difference in operating temperatures between the two.

I guess I should have made that call before I made the post.

I still haven't gotten an e mail from them.
Old 03-26-2012, 01:46 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If you are worried about heat soak, get a better intercooler. A supercharger that is polished, painted, sandblasted doesn't make any difference in charge air temps. An intercooler has several orders of magnitude more surface area than a supercharger's case.
Old 03-26-2012, 04:59 PM
TECH Addict

Received 41 Likes on 29 Posts

Originally Posted by No Hope
I just called the Whipple tech support people and they claim there is no difference in operating temperatures between the two.

Because the difference is negligible. Your blower headunit is going to get stupid hot. Its the charge temp you need to worry about, by picking a good intercooler. Air wont be in the hot SC housing long enough to pick up enough heat to measure a difference. The heat comes from the compression of air. If you could somehow make a blower housing made of solid ice, it would still require an intercooler to maintain a manageable IAT

Same argument as composite vs alum intake manifolds, so pick whichever fits your budget and looks good to you
Old 03-27-2012, 07:15 AM
TECH Addict

Thats strange. KB reacon it makes a diference to theirs. Also i hear it helps keep the temps more equal bettwen the cold and hot end of the SC (outlet being the hot, inlet being the cool).

Chris.
Old 03-27-2012, 07:17 AM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by Pocket
Because the difference is negligible. Your blower headunit is going to get stupid hot. Its the charge temp you need to worry about, by picking a good intercooler. Air wont be in the hot SC housing long enough to pick up enough heat to measure a difference. The heat comes from the compression of air. If you could somehow make a blower housing made of solid ice, it would still require an intercooler to maintain a manageable IAT

Same argument as composite vs alum intake manifolds, so pick whichever fits your budget and looks good to you
you are right in the intercooler plays a bigger part in reducing temps, but the head unit temp will also play a part if much smaller. Dont forget that intercooler space is often very limited and thus you have to look at differnt areas for cooling of the intake.

Chris.
Old 03-27-2012, 07:20 AM
Banned

Exclamation

----METH----/thread
Old 03-28-2012, 09:04 AM
Launching!

Originally Posted by chuntington101
Thats strange. KB reacon it makes a diference to theirs. Also i hear it helps keep the temps more equal bettwen the cold and hot end of the SC (outlet being the hot, inlet being the cool).

Chris.

Common sense would say the non painted would be better.

I just want one so I can go faster and faster and faster. I just don't want it to blow up in the process.
Old 03-28-2012, 12:53 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Common sense would say the non painted would be better.

I just want one so I can go faster and faster and faster. I just don't want it to blow up in the process.
Whys that? Are you saying the thermal conductivity of a super thin layer of paint will somehow increase your IAT? The thickness of the coat is a HUGE portion of the equation. A 2" thick layer of paint would definitely have an effect on heat soak, but a .002" thick layer of paint is insignificant, especially given the small surface area of the blower.

Like I said before, concentrate on the intercooler (or meth/nitrous) to make the IAT decrease. The surface area of the blower exposed to air might be a couple square yards, the surface area of your intercooler is probably the size of a tennis court. Additionally, the amount of air in contact with the boundary layer in a supercharger compared to the air not in the boundary layer, plus the massive flow rate and tiny amount of time air actually spends in the supercharger, you are looking at miniscule temperature differences.
Old 03-29-2012, 01:56 AM
Launching!

Originally Posted by killernoodle
Whys that? Are you saying the thermal conductivity of a super thin layer of paint will somehow increase your IAT? The thickness of the coat is a HUGE portion of the equation. A 2" thick layer of paint would definitely have an effect on heat soak, but a .002" thick layer of paint is insignificant, especially given the small surface area of the blower.

Like I said before, concentrate on the intercooler (or meth/nitrous) to make the IAT decrease. The surface area of the blower exposed to air might be a couple square yards, the surface area of your intercooler is probably the size of a tennis court. Additionally, the amount of air in contact with the boundary layer in a supercharger compared to the air not in the boundary layer, plus the massive flow rate and tiny amount of time air actually spends in the supercharger, you are looking at miniscule temperature differences.

Yes, I'm saying no paint would be better than painted. I know the non polished or raw casting is better than polished aluminum so it stands to reason that no paint would be better than painted.

I've been reading up on meth systems, if anyone knows who makes the best system please post it.

I've got the itch to just buy one now and I have burned myself in the past by not taking my time and finding out all I can before I spend.

Quick Reply: Supercharger Heat Soak