Forced Induction Superchargers | Turbochargers | Intercoolers

Boost controller and wastegates on blower cars

Search this Thread

Old 04-09-2012, 08:11 PM
11 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by trav-tech
Is it set up to dump back in to the inlet of the sc to work like a bypass valve or does it just dump the boost out?
No it vents to atmosphere but i would guess it would work to the inlet I really haven't thought about that. thanks jeff
Old 04-09-2012, 11:07 PM
TECH Fanatic

i think its not popular because you need a big blower to do it well.. a d1sc is gonna be spinning hard to be able to make big power... then when you want less power on the gate all your doing is making the air hotter and spinning the blower harder.. With an f1 there is plenty of room and you dont have to pulley it up the max blower speed to make big and little power.
Old 04-10-2012, 05:55 AM
9 Second Club

Received 179 Likes on 154 Posts

You are not making the air hotter as it is being compressed less. No compression, no heat.
Old 04-10-2012, 12:25 PM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by got-a-ls1
i think its not popular because you need a big blower to do it well.. a d1sc is gonna be spinning hard to be able to make big power... then when you want less power on the gate all your doing is making the air hotter and spinning the blower harder.. With an f1 there is plenty of room and you dont have to pulley it up the max blower speed to make big and little power.
I dont know that I agree there is alot of big power being made now with d1's and its nice to cruise around 400rwhp and and actually hook it up on the street and add the boost as you need it. thanks jeff
Old 04-10-2012, 12:38 PM
TECH Addict

Received 35 Likes on 21 Posts

Its a cool idea to have boost settings at the push of a button. Hook that bitch up to a boost-by-gear boost controller.

I would like to see a setup that throttles the s/c inlet for boost control to avoid the heavy drive issues, but I don't think there is an easy way to do this.
Old 04-10-2012, 12:50 PM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by NoGo
Its a cool idea to have boost settings at the push of a button. Hook that bitch up to a boost-by-gear boost controller.

I would like to see a setup that throttles the s/c inlet for boost control to avoid the heavy drive issues, but I don't think there is an easy way to do this.
The AMS 1000 has a boost by gear option in it. thanks jeff
Old 04-10-2012, 02:17 PM
9 Second Club

Received 179 Likes on 154 Posts

I think someone did adapt a DBW throttle to do this. Not sure if it ever got to sale though.
Was over on the Vette forum a couple of years ago.
Old 04-10-2012, 05:45 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Interested to see the data logs from this. I have a F1R and paired with my 4L80E would be a mean SOB on the street as well as the strip. Controlling ramp with the AMS would be killer.
Old 04-10-2012, 06:14 PM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by 1INSANEGTO
Interested to see the data logs from this. I have a F1R and paired with my 4L80E would be a mean SOB on the street as well as the strip. Controlling ramp with the AMS would be killer.
I talked to the tuner today and it will this weekend at the soonest for the data logs but as soon as I get them Ill post them. thanks jeff
Old 04-10-2012, 09:27 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by stngtamr29
I dont know that I agree there is alot of big power being made now with d1's and its nice to cruise around 400rwhp and and actually hook it up on the street and add the boost as you need it. thanks jeff
im not saying d1's dont make big power, im saying not everyone would want to have to spin it to the max rpm all the time to only make 500 horsepower on low boost. headunits aint cheap. hence its better to do it with a big blower where there is plenty of room and not spinning max rpm.
Old 04-10-2012, 11:45 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Think this setup would still be viable for someone running lower overall boost?
Ive got a procharged lt1 that id like to be able to see 7-8 psi on the street, but with a quick ramp rate, as in not spinning to 6k before i see that kind of boost, but be able to run 12-15 at a track. Would this kind of setup still be decent for that, or is it a deminishing returns kind of deal at that low of boost
Old 04-11-2012, 08:30 AM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by stngtamr29
I talked to the tuner today and it will this weekend at the soonest for the data logs but as soon as I get them Ill post them. thanks jeff

Nicely done. I've been talking with Jeff/Nick/Zach about this for years. I'll eventually get around to doing it on my car and pulley my F1C way down. That boost by gear function has got to be awesome.
Old 04-11-2012, 09:14 AM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by got-a-ls1
im not saying d1's dont make big power, im saying not everyone would want to have to spin it to the max rpm all the time to only make 500 horsepower on low boost. headunits aint cheap. hence its better to do it with a big blower where there is plenty of room and not spinning max rpm.
I can see where your coming from I just remember when I had my d1 it only made 604 but on most nights of the year that was still a little much on the street and would have liked to tame it down a just little just for traction.thanks jeff
Old 04-11-2012, 09:20 AM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by BigBadWhitey
Think this setup would still be viable for someone running lower overall boost?
Ive got a procharged lt1 that id like to be able to see 7-8 psi on the street, but with a quick ramp rate, as in not spinning to 6k before i see that kind of boost, but be able to run 12-15 at a track. Would this kind of setup still be decent for that, or is it a deminishing returns kind of deal at that low of boost
Actually that is the very reason I used this setup I think it would work great for your application. thanks jeff
Old 04-11-2012, 09:43 AM
Teching In

there is a very good article in gm high-tech jan/2012 on this subject. a bigger blower and a wg will give you max (wg) boost quicker. and extra boost with a push on the button cool setup
Old 04-11-2012, 10:35 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

The reason this is not more popular is the head unit is overworking when spinning fast but bleeding boost. If you use it for small changes it should work well, big changes on a street driven car will be hard on the head unit and drive system.

Kurt
Old 04-11-2012, 12:27 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by 427
The reason this is not more popular is the head unit is overworking when spinning fast but bleeding boost. If you use it for small changes it should work well, big changes on a street driven car will be hard on the head unit and drive system.

Kurt
is it harder for the blower making 15 psi and only 8 going in the engine vs 15 going in the engine..?
Old 04-11-2012, 12:35 PM
TECH Addict

Received 35 Likes on 21 Posts

Blower load is a function of flow more than boost. The highest load you can put on your blower is simply opening up the discharge to atmosphere and letting it rip. When you open up what is essentially a giant boost leak you are inducing much more flow through the blower.

FWIW, some blowers seem to take this better than others. Prochargers seem to do okay, but I'm sure its not great for the unit. Some blowers, I know for a fact, can't do an open discharge. Also, it may tear up your belt sooner than later.

Last edited by NoGo; 04-11-2012 at 12:59 PM.
Old 04-11-2012, 01:06 PM
Teching In

Blower load is a function of flow more than boost. The highest load you can put on your blower is simply opening up the discharge to atmosphere and letting it rip. When you open up what is essentially a giant boost leak you are inducing much more flow through the blower.

FWIW, some blowers seem to take this better than others. Prochargers seem to do okay, but I'm sure its not great for the unit. Some blowers, I know for a fact, can't do an open discharge. Also, it may tear up your belt sooner than later.
I see..Thanks
Old 04-11-2012, 03:25 PM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by ls2 goat
Nicely done. I've been talking with Jeff/Nick/Zach about this for years. I'll eventually get around to doing it on my car and pulley my F1C way down. That boost by gear function has got to be awesome.
Hey Jeremy yeah Zach was the first to bring this to my attention and after doing a little research and everyone telling me it wouldn't work I had to try it. I looked at your car today and its alot like mine "out of room" but Im sure we could find a place to fit everything. When will you be picking yours up? Jeff said it would be done this week. I bet you cant wait, it should be a fun ride. thanks jeff

Quick Reply: Boost controller and wastegates on blower cars