Forced Induction Superchargers | Turbochargers | Intercoolers

1000 HP Stock Bottom End - Unleashed Performance Turbo C5

Search this Thread

Old 04-14-2012, 11:49 AM
11 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Whats the vendor of methanol when Ur running e85? Didn't think there would hardly be any
Old 04-14-2012, 03:23 PM
Staging Lane

i think it is a snow kit, if i remember correctly
Old 04-14-2012, 04:13 PM
11 Second Club

Damn auto correct not vendor I meant advantages of meth on e85
Old 04-14-2012, 10:07 PM
On The Tree

I've seen this car and got to "play" around on the street with it versus my corvette. Rob's shop, Unleashed, did my setup as well. Its a bone stock ls2, with camshaft only, and a TVS2300 putting down 648hp through the rear wheels. It does have a Century built A6 automatic, plus a 3.42 rear. At 648hp at the rear wheels.... I figure thats close to 800 at the flywheel.
I've seen Rob's car run 144mph down the track while missing 2nd gear, its a beast of a car, especially when you consider its bone stock except a cam! He's dumping a ton of Meth into it, plus has a 1:1 regulator along with some other fuel system upgrades that helps him out a ton.
I'm out of fuel on mine (single walbro with boost a pump is maxed)... but hoping to upgrade some fuel compenents and a CAI on the supercharger to see if I can squeek 700hp at the rear wheels with it. We'll see how long it lasts! Whatever gets done to it, it will be by the guys at Unleashed. Rob's the best tuner and the SAFEST tuner I have ever dealt with. He'll only push it as far as you want to take it!

Billy
Old 04-15-2012, 11:46 PM
FormerVendor

Originally Posted by MattxFatal
Wow, that's truly remarkable.
Keep up the good work.
Can't believe those rod bolts have not **** the bed.
Awesome!

Aside from this build, how extensive are the other builds you all have done with those turbos?

Curious what kind of track record they've established.
-Matt
Thanks. I can't believe the rod bolts are still holding either!! As far as other builds with these turbo's, mine is the only one we've done so far that has any mileage (over 4k on mine so far). We are doing another rear mount single oil-less build (Talon77's), and a twin rear mount build on a 2010 SS. The SS is a daily driver for the customer, so it should rack up miles pretty quick. We'll be sure to update everyone with the results.

To answer the questions about the 80lb injectors, they are 80lbs at 3-bar, and I'm running 60psi base FP, with a 1:1 regulator, twin 255's in-tank, Boost-a-pump, and a Snow methanol kit with a single (600HP) nozzle set to come on at 7lbs and fully by 17lbs. I'm using VP methanol, and my injector DC is at 78% at 6500.

As far as any other questions regarding mods, or the build, please refer to our website. I've detailed the entire combination there.

Now for the update on the car:

Gotta share the bad with the good. In the quest for more HP, we did a little more dyno tuning and made a few pulls with the air filter off (several people wanted to know how much of a restriction it was, if any). As we typically do, we video recorded the dyno pulls. Upon playback, we noticed a tiny puff of smoke coming from the behind the pass tire right at the end of each pull. So we moved the video camera to underneath the car and aimed it at the exhaust manifold/cylinder head area. Upon playback of that video (still making 830+whp), it could clearly be seen coming from between the head and block, at the "notched area" in the head (factory stock 853 casting heads and graphite gaskets). To be honest, I'm shocked it took this long to start lifting the heads. And even more shocked that it made anywhere near this power with 853's!

So we pulled the heads and found both gaskets to be leaking in the same exact spots. Still not sure why GM put that notch in the heads, but it sucks. Regardless, I still want to push the factory shortblock some more. So we're going to throw in some ARP head studs and a set of LS9 gaskets and see how much that'll hold.

We'll keep you posted with the results....both good and bad.
Old 04-16-2012, 11:03 AM
Staging Lane

put it back together and lets see how far the stock short block can be pushed
Old 04-16-2012, 12:17 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Unleashed-Performance

Now for the update on the car:

Gotta share the bad with the good. In the quest for more HP, we did a little more dyno tuning and made a few pulls with the air filter off (several people wanted to know how much of a restriction it was, if any). As we typically do, we video recorded the dyno pulls. Upon playback, we noticed a tiny puff of smoke coming from the behind the pass tire right at the end of each pull. So we moved the video camera to underneath the car and aimed it at the exhaust manifold/cylinder head area. Upon playback of that video (still making 830+whp), it could clearly be seen coming from between the head and block, at the "notched area" in the head (factory stock 853 casting heads and graphite gaskets). To be honest, I'm shocked it took this long to start lifting the heads. And even more shocked that it made anywhere near this power with 853's!

So we pulled the heads and found both gaskets to be leaking in the same exact spots. Still not sure why GM put that notch in the heads, but it sucks. Regardless, I still want to push the factory shortblock some more. So we're going to throw in some ARP head studs and a set of LS9 gaskets and see how much that'll hold.

We'll keep you posted with the results....both good and bad.
Wow! Let's see what's what!
Old 04-16-2012, 02:26 PM
LS1Tech Sponsor

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Nice numbers! We went beyond the 850rwhp mark with Dave's junk yard 6l and then it finally bent the rods. We dyno'd it at 825rwhp at 19psi and 24psi took the rods out, not sure what the power was there but I would guess 875ish.
Old 08-25-2013, 08:07 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I know it's old but I really wanted an update on this.
Old 08-25-2013, 08:12 PM
Teching In

Great numbers but I'm in this waiting for the Big Bang. Stock bottom end pushing 1000 at the crank. I don't care e85 and meth won't save the rotating assembly from going through the side if the car being spun to redline.
Old 08-25-2013, 09:58 PM
10 Second Club

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I dont think this guy is still on here.
Old 08-25-2013, 11:05 PM
TECH Enthusiast

last log in shows 8-16-2013
Old 08-26-2013, 02:56 AM
Staging Lane

The car is still alive and has had zero issues. The car was sold to his friend who.has been driving the car like it should be and even does road racing with it. It's still amazes me that this motor is still going strong with no issues.
Old 09-06-2013, 05:25 AM
Teching In

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Rear mount turbo on Pontiac gto

Hi Unleashed-Performance

I have a Pontiac gto M6 and thinking of a building a rear mounted turbo
i have a stock ls2 and just bought headers from kooks Stainless 3"
i also have a camshaft lying in the storage COMP Cams 54-424-11
265/271, Lift .558/.563, 115

can you give me some pointers about building a turbo system like yours ?

what tubing size are you using to the exhaust and return from turbo ? model of turbo ? can i have my camshaft to a turbo setup ?

i also wants in the end to modify and drive the car on E85
what to use to tune the ls2 turbo e85 with ? diablo,hp,,,?

/Kjell
Old 09-06-2013, 06:43 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Unleashed-Performance
Made a few changes since the last thread. Added a FMIC and changed from a PTE 46mm wasegate, to a PTE 66mm wastegate for better boost control. Also switched from NGK TR6's to non-projected tip 7's. The Comp Oil-Less turbo now has over 4k miles on it, with 90% of those miles at 750+ rwhp. The factory engine in our '99 FRC C5 M6 is now at 117k. Factory stock: heads, head bolts, graphite gaskets, rod bolts, etc. The only internal mods are the custom cam, patriot gold valvesprings and pushrods, melling oil pump and LS2 timing chain. Still running E-85, 80lb injectors, twin 255lph walbro's in the tank, BAP, and Snow single nozzle meth kit. Again, this is my daily driver, but it's seen 17-18lbs of boost every day that I've driven it for the last 4,000 miles (all in the name of R&D of course).

Strapped it back on the dyno tonight to see if the FMIC and new WG helped at all. Apparently so. It laid down 840whp/845wtq. This was done on M/T 305/35/18 ET Streets, at 15lbs of air to keep them from spinning on the dyno. So I'm pretty comfortable estimating fwhp at 1000+. Not too bad for a high mileage, rear-mounted, daily driver. Best part is, it gets a little over 30mpg Hwy and averages 21 city on the E-85.

We do have a video of this dyno pull and I'll try to get it posted up as soon as possible. But for now, here's the graph:

What kind of timing are you running? Im at 14* on pump gas and twin 10lb meth nozzle using the pure stuff. Im seeing 17 psi on my s475 bone stock ls1 with excepting of the cam. Cam is 234/237 612/610 115+4lsa speced by Martin@Tick. Have yet to get to the dyno and find out what its doing. Mine has 130k on the engine lol. Your numbers are awesome. I hope it get somewhere north of 700rwhp and ill be happy lol.
Old 09-06-2013, 07:24 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 74 Likes on 40 Posts

Pretty sure there wont be any updates to this.. IIRC the guy who was updating this and what not is no longer with Unleashed.
Old 09-06-2013, 07:34 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Ryans99ls1
Pretty sure there wont be any updates to this.. IIRC the guy who was updating this and what not is no longer with Unleashed.
Ok lol
Old 09-24-2013, 05:28 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by omalley34male
Hi Unleashed-Performance

I have a Pontiac gto M6 and thinking of a building a rear mounted turbo
i have a stock ls2 and just bought headers from kooks Stainless 3"
i also have a camshaft lying in the storage COMP Cams 54-424-11
265/271, Lift .558/.563, 115

can you give me some pointers about building a turbo system like yours ?

what tubing size are you using to the exhaust and return from turbo ? model of turbo ? can i have my camshaft to a turbo setup ?

i also wants in the end to modify and drive the car on E85
what to use to tune the ls2 turbo e85 with ? diablo,hp,,,?

/Kjell
so far since rob has "left" they haven't produced one car in over a year that even comes close to this vette. they are now selling cars out front and doing general maintance on cars to keep the 3-4 employees busy, and not doing a good job at that.

Originally Posted by mrstepheneades
What kind of timing are you running? Im at 14* on pump gas and twin 10lb meth nozzle using the pure stuff. Im seeing 17 psi on my s475 bone stock ls1 with excepting of the cam. Cam is 234/237 612/610 115+4lsa speced by Martin@Tick. Have yet to get to the dyno and find out what its doing. Mine has 130k on the engine lol. Your numbers are awesome. I hope it get somewhere north of 700rwhp and ill be happy lol.
he was running no more than 14degrees.

Originally Posted by Ryans99ls1
that is correct, rob is no longer associated with unleashed
Old 09-26-2013, 05:47 AM
TECH Apprentice

How did he lose 160 horse power???

Stock they were rated at 350. And ALOT of c5's put down between 280-325. So worst case he had a loss of 70. Best case loss of 25.

So wouldn't that make his flywheel around 865-910???? Your drive train loss doesn't go up cause you make more power. I've never understood how people think it does.

Quick Reply: 1000 HP Stock Bottom End - Unleashed Performance Turbo C5