Forced Induction Superchargers | Turbochargers | Intercoolers

Fireball Twin Turbo Third Gen Camaro Build thread

Search this Thread

Old 05-20-2013, 08:56 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I've felt inspired to start fabricating again after going to the OCMD car cruise LOL.

So I've stared at it this morning and played around with some ideas. Not saying it can't be done, but I can't reasonably figure out how to plumb two turbos correctly while retaining a 4th gen AC system. The compressor and the little expansion cylinder are just in seriously inconvenient areas

So the revised plan is to retain Power steering and work with that. Will retain the heater though.

Kinda sucks, but such is life
Old 05-20-2013, 10:07 AM
9 Second Club

Just wear your cooling vest you had for racing.....don't need no stinkin' a/c
Old 05-20-2013, 02:36 PM
10 Second Club

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

No way to put the turbos around where the battery tray areas are on either side? Maybe put box the frame rails and put some CM tubing in its place, run the hot pipes up and the down pipes on the outside of the kmember area?
Old 05-20-2013, 02:55 PM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by WheelsUp84z
No way to put the turbos around where the battery tray areas are on either side? Maybe put box the frame rails and put some CM tubing in its place, run the hot pipes up and the down pipes on the outside of the kmember area?
that's where they are. Sneaking a 3" downpipe by the engine with a compressor and drier installed is the problem...
Old 05-20-2013, 02:58 PM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Fireball
that's where they are. Sneaking a 3" downpipe by the engine with a compressor and drier installed is the problem...
Relocate the drier behind/under the dash. You'll just need to come up with two custom hoses right?
Old 05-20-2013, 04:53 PM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by White.Lightning
Relocate the drier behind/under the dash. You'll just need to come up with two custom hoses right?
condenses too much moisture.
Old 05-20-2013, 05:43 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 46 Likes on 31 Posts

GMHTP did a 3rd gen Firebird with a Vintage Air unit all under the dash. I am not sure what it took for under hood space but its a much more compact unit than the stock 3rd and 4th gen setups. Maybe something to look into if you really want to keep AC..

http://www.gmhightechperformance.com...s/viewall.html
Old 05-20-2013, 05:43 PM
TECH Veteran

Glad to hear your back at it Brian!

Stick the downpipes out the fender.... Straight out. Face the inlets inward and down pipes straight out
Old 05-21-2013, 06:11 AM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by JAX04
Glad to hear your back at it Brian!

Stick the downpipes out the fender.... Straight out. Face the inlets inward and down pipes straight out
No. Downpipes are going all the way to the rear.
Old 05-21-2013, 06:12 AM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by 1bdbrd
GMHTP did a 3rd gen Firebird with a Vintage Air unit all under the dash. I am not sure what it took for under hood space but its a much more compact unit than the stock 3rd and 4th gen setups. Maybe something to look into if you really want to keep AC..

http://www.gmhightechperformance.com...s/viewall.html
AC isn't a requirement. it was more of a can I do it kind of thing. The compressor was giving me bigger fits than anything. Besides, the compressor was awfully close to the steering setup, that alone might have caused issues.
Old 05-21-2013, 07:34 AM
TECH Senior Member

Didn't get a whole heck of alot done yesterday, but every little bit is a step closer to completion

-Removed the driver door thats rusted out on the bottom.
-Wire wheeled the hinge areas and hit the surface rust with some rust converter
-Cut out some cancer in the driver side toe-kick area, need to get some metal to patch it back together.
-Welded the driver side "stress" crack on the roof.
-Cut the driver side fender support area to fit the AirRaid Turbo filter
-Figured out how I think I want to plumb everything
-Ordered a bunch or stainless mandrel bends to build the headers, intermediate pipes, and the beginnings of the downpipes.

hmmm...what about Viper Red? I shot my race car with the summit racing paint and it came out pretty decent

Old 05-23-2013, 06:14 AM
TECH Senior Member

Got a little bit done yesterday.

Pulled off the wiper arms that haven't moved in 15 years. Driver side came off with some persuasion, passenger side popped the block out of the arm and it is still stuck on the spindle. Hit it with some penetrating oil to see if I can yank it off tonight. I also ended up cracking the windshield doing this....no biggie though since I planned on having fresh glass installed after paint.

Removed the cowl to assess for cancer in that area. No rust, but something built a wicked nest in the cowl using the Jute padding from under the dash Need to figure out a way to replace the screen in the cowl cover...

Hoping to get the hot side fabricated in the next month or so, figure out where to put some add-ons (radiator overflow, remote oil filter, etc) so I can get the engine bay fully disassembled. I think I'm going to buy myself a decent Eastwood soda blaster so I can fully strip the engine bay to bare metal. I know the DIY blasters take longer, but I have all the time in the world. Besides, I'm all for buying myself new tools

My current goal is to get the entire car into paint by the fall so I can focus on all the laborious tasks like rewiring, plumbing, etc over the winter.
Old 05-23-2013, 06:45 AM
9 Second Club

It's good to see you back at it Brian. Are you still planning to buy a pipe bender to do cages?
Old 05-23-2013, 07:24 AM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by 1fast bird
It's good to see you back at it Brian. Are you still planning to buy a pipe bender to do cages?
Yes...JD model 3. Need one bent for the truck?

Last edited by Fireball; 05-23-2013 at 07:51 AM.
Old 05-23-2013, 08:33 AM
9 Second Club

Yes...JD model 3. Need one bent for the truck?
Eventually yes. Not a priority at this time but really want to do my own. Gotta get some use out of my little Miller tig. Just need to find out how to do a cage in a full framed vehicle since it's not 6"x6" steel plates welded to the floor.....
Old 05-23-2013, 08:42 AM
TECH Senior Member

Eventually yes. Not a priority at this time but really want to do my own. Gotta get some use out of my little Miller tig. Just need to find out how to do a cage in a full framed vehicle since it's not 6"x6" steel plates welded to the floor.....
cut floor, weld to frame, patch floor.

Local place I used in the past to buy moly has closed shop. I may look into a S&W moly cage and see how it fits before opting for a bender. Bonus is that S&W is local to us
Old 05-23-2013, 08:43 AM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Check out MWC's pre-bent cages. I'm not sure how they compare in price to S&W though.
Old 05-23-2013, 08:56 AM
9 Second Club

How much tubing is needed to bend a main hoop? There is a place I found online that sells chromoly tubing pretty cheap but they won't ship anything over 8 feet.....

My bird had an S&W cage....the chassis builder that did mine said they don't fit great. He had to tweek a few things and made his own door bars to fit the door panels
Old 05-23-2013, 09:02 AM
9 Second Club

cut floor, weld to frame, patch floor.:
That sounds easy but my question is more about the main hoop. It would end up being wider than the frame rails so it's not that cut and dry.....
Old 05-23-2013, 10:17 AM
TECH Senior Member

How much tubing is needed to bend a main hoop? There is a place I found online that sells chromoly tubing pretty cheap but they won't ship anything over 8 feet.....

My bird had an S&W cage....the chassis builder that did mine said they don't fit great. He had to tweek a few things and made his own door bars to fit the door panels
I seem to remember that it required to be closer to 10-ft for the hoop.

apparently they fit pretty well on the 3rd gens from what I saw on TGO. I'm debating on just doing a MS cage since its more ductile that 4130, which would be good for a street car. Would still TIG it in of course.

Last edited by Fireball; 05-23-2013 at 10:24 AM.

Quick Reply: Fireball Twin Turbo Third Gen Camaro Build thread