Forced Induction Superchargers | Turbochargers | Intercoolers

5.3 Twin Turbo Size Reccomendations? (And my introduction?)

Search this Thread

Old 12-01-2015, 07:09 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 5.3 Twin Turbo Size Reccomendations? (And my introduction?)

Hello, I'm obviously new here. Just researching for a possible swap I may do over next year and love to soak up information!

Interested in doing a 5.3 TT 4l80e into a 1989 Toyota Supra. My early on goals will probably be 500-700 crank. 600+ Wheel sounds awesome to me any more just sounds like I'll be spending lots of money going through tires. It's not my daily, currently have a Prius for that, but I may go back it it being my daily once I finish college and don't drive 400 miles a week delivering pizza. My dad wants to sell his truck and put an ls in something so hey, why not the mk3!

I stumbled across this kit which I love: (http://www.cxracing.com/mm5/merchant..._Code=LS1#term)
And here is the turbos used in the kit:
http://www.cxracing.com/mm5/merchant...ory_Code=TRBT4

I'm worried a twin GT35 T4 .68 AR 62mm would be too high end for the motor? I'd prefer at least most of my torque by 3000rpm and be able to stomp and just go quickly. Should I look for maybe similar in a t3 housing?

As far as the lm7 build. Is it realistic to be able to put out 600whp with ls6 cams and intake, arp head studs, new gaskets, valve springs, injectors and a MAP tune? And how reliable would this be? (I won't be hammering full throttle all the time but love to spool a little quite often.)

Will the ls6 cam have any 'thump' with a quieted down exhaust? (I still need to make it sound smooth like a supra somehow!) Just curious because my dad is obsessed with idle thumping and would probably want to cam it just for that.

Also a stupid question: Twin vs big single, which is louder with more turbo whistle? This is a very important question. :'D

Anyways, looking forward to digging into this build. As a long time Toyota fan it's amazing how cheap and easy it is to build chevy smallblocks especially for how strong they are. Should be cheaper than going 2jz!
Old 12-01-2015, 07:24 PM
On The Tree

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The cx kit should work ok and the gt35 are knock offs so yea there not too high end for a 5.3. Twin 62's and 14-16lbs should net close to 600whp. I would go t4 for the flange size. And as for turbo whistle... Ya I'm gonna skip that.
Old 12-01-2015, 07:28 PM

I hear the eBay turbos are pretty quiet but I can be wrong
Old 12-01-2015, 07:39 PM
Staging Lane

Thanks for the quick replies! They just seemed like kind of big turbos for a street car for only having 2.7L to spool each one of them. They're certainly bigger than my 57 trim t04e on my supra currently that has 3L to spool it. I realize they're knock off's. I have a mk3 not a mk4.
Old 12-01-2015, 08:04 PM
On The Tree

60's might spool a little faster but it's really the turbine side that will dictate that. V8 power band is more narrow than i6 and 4 cyl. Usually producing more torque and exhaust velocity early. I'm gonna use 60's with a 6speed in my camaro FYI.
Old 12-01-2015, 09:15 PM
Staging Lane

I'd assume since it's a truck motor if I keep a low end cam it could spool well down low since it was made to make torque down low but I still don't know everything about these motors. Essential I would just want to avoid waiting long for boost, stomp on it in the right gear and be boosting a second or two later. I hate when some guy in his truck can outrun you cause he's got instant low torque and you have a moment before you hit power but he lets up before you even get going lol!..

The turbo diesels are popular here in KY. Same thing happened when I ran against a ecoboost truck he took off, but right when my clutch caught on I flew by him. I suppose is the LM7 is making 400ftlbs off of boost it should be plenty to move the car before turbos.

TLDR: I want positive pressure 2000-2500rpm and full boost 3000-3200.
Old 12-01-2015, 10:51 PM
8 Second Club

I had the same cxraxing gt35 turbos on my twin turbo 5.3 gto
It made 730 at 17psi through an unlocked auto
Saw 23psi a decent amount on the street
They spooled at less than 3000 rpm and carried fine to 7k

I was happy with them for sure
Lit off quick and made quite a bit of power
Easy to package and cheap
Old 12-01-2015, 11:07 PM
Staging Lane

Awesome! That's absolutely great information and reassuring to me. How did they sound compared to your single setup now as by your sig?

Also why did you go to single? Less complications? I was also seeing if CX had the same tubors with a oil cooled housing to make things simpler. With the water did you just run them in series from one turbo to the other and then through your heater core or did you split them off and run parallel?

Also mind telling me the rest of your setup on the 5.3 at the time? Headwork? Cam choice? Fuel? You seem to have hit my goal pretty easily there so wouldn't be stupid of me to do a very similar setup.
Old 12-01-2015, 11:17 PM
8 Second Club

My single turbo setup makes a lot more noise...lol
The turbo whistle on the precision is much louder, the exhaust is only like a foot long so it's quite a bit louder.
I wanted a better drag car, the gto was fun, but it had some pretty big drawbacks trying to race it competitively. A single 76 is as big as you can go now in the class ive been racing in, its not as fast to spool on the street but i dont drive the cobra much anyway.

No water plumbed to them, just left the fittings open
Ran oil to them just like normal

Setup was a flat top 4.8 piston in a 5.3
Stock 243 heads
Ls2/ls6 cam
E85 fuel

Pretty basic setup
Old 12-01-2015, 11:24 PM
8 Second Club

https://ls1tech.com/forums/forced-in...win-gt35s.html

Heres my build thread from last winter when i put it together
Old 12-02-2015, 12:34 AM
Staging Lane

Isn't it a really bad idea to not plumb water lines back in if it's a daily? I thought water lines were introduced to cool the turbo from heat soaking after a shut down or is it good enough to just let it idle for a minute or roll to your destination?..

I also thought oil when just used for lube has a smaller path through the turbo where as oil cool the oil goes through more parts of the turbo? I sound so smart.

Quick Reply: 5.3 Twin Turbo Size Reccomendations? (And my introduction?)