Forced Induction Superchargers | Turbochargers | Intercoolers

ALUMINUM DANA 60s UNVEILED AT THE MOPAR NATS..

Search this Thread

Old 09-11-2014, 11:20 PM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default ALUMINUM DANA 60s UNVEILED AT THE MOPAR NATS..

I talked to the guy who cast these units for Mopars, he is a machinist out of Florida. He told me if I can get 100 guys to commit, that he will cast it for our F bodies. Over 100 lbs savings over regular Dana 60s!!! They use all strange components, 35 spline axles, True track diff.. He said these can handle over a 1000 horse power!!!!

Dana 60s eat the least amount of power from all differentials also. 7% for the Dana, 11% for the 12 bolt and 14% for the 9 inch. What is the main compliant for Dana 60's rear ends; well, that they are heavy pigs. The problem is solved!! I think he told me these weigh around 164 pounds complete, and the cast steel ones around 260s. He weighed them, near 100 pounds off. That is amazing to me!!!!!!!!!!!!

All I know is I want this in my F body now, and I hope this draws enough interest for him to cast them.

I dont know about you, but I want one, price will be around 2800 to 3000 dollars. Depends how many people commit to this rear end. Since he is a machinist, he is looking into making a bracket maybe, but I personally think we need to cast new units. If we try to weld something, it will hurt the heat treatment, but, there may be a way to make a bracket to fit. On mopars, there are holes drilled on the front snout, for a pinion snubber. So.. But, I think we need a new casting..

Also, if anybody is out of FL, he will need a car to test fit it on... Let me know if anybody is interested for this. Also, you can contact Bob at Brute Speed. And he can contact me.

I want one so bad!!! I held off on a rear end for the longest time, cause I dint want to add the weight. I was thinking on making my own, to make an Aluminum 12 bolt,to draw it on CAD, and just CNC it. Now I dont have to do that... See, Oldsmobile had Aluminum rear-ends as an option in 1970 for their W-30 cars, and was going to model it off of that. However, like I said, I dont have to go through the trouble to make a one off peice.

I think this is a work of art, and I hope there is enough interest here to get this done for our F bodies. Enjoy the pics!!!!
Attached Thumbnails ALUMINUM DANA 60s UNVEILED AT THE MOPAR NATS..-003.jpg   ALUMINUM DANA 60s UNVEILED AT THE MOPAR NATS..-product-photos-006.jpg   ALUMINUM DANA 60s UNVEILED AT THE MOPAR NATS..-product-photos-001.jpg   ALUMINUM DANA 60s UNVEILED AT THE MOPAR NATS..-product-photos-002.jpg   ALUMINUM DANA 60s UNVEILED AT THE MOPAR NATS..-product-photos-003.jpg  

Last edited by stage274; 09-11-2014 at 11:37 PM.
Old 09-11-2014, 11:35 PM
Launching!

Question

The thing is what type of aluminum is it being cast in, as well as does it go thru any heat treatment afterwards?
Old 09-12-2014, 12:01 AM
Launching!

Originally Posted by TrippyJoey
The thing is what type of aluminum is it being cast in, as well as does it go thru any heat treatment afterwards?
I think they are 6061... I will double check again... These castings are made to the utmost specs, and where made for the super-stock 9sec Mopar hemi racers.. And yes full heat treatment...
Old 09-12-2014, 06:23 AM
8 Second Club

Received 18 Likes on 12 Posts

Looks like a great piece. Is Bob at Brute speed the guy who makes them? I couldn't find anything on their website or in a google search yet. Looking for one for a ladder bar car so the one in the pictures would work.
Old 09-12-2014, 06:30 AM
12 Second Club

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Good luck getting a 100 people to commit to a idea though when there are so many other options out there.
Old 09-12-2014, 06:34 AM
10 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I am gonna get a dana 60 even if this dosent pan out but Im in no hurry to purchase one just yet. My only question is how long are we looking at for the 100 buyers to actually commit and what would the ETA be from the order date? An actual cost difference from the iron one would help as you probably know.
Old 09-15-2014, 06:37 PM
Launching!

I just talked to him through email, and he said, it could take a year to cast new ones. Bummer.. But, he is confident he can make a attachment to the current one, which would bring the price down, which is fine. He is in the process of making one now. He said, people would want to test, touch and feel, so he is working on that. He also said, prices can be much lower if he makes a bracket to attach to our torque arms.

I am in no hurry also, and after I seen this, I dont want anything but an aluminum Dana 60 rear end!!!
We will need still a guy out of Florida for test fitting. He is very confident he can fab a bracket up.

Last edited by stage274; 09-15-2014 at 06:43 PM.
Old 09-15-2014, 06:42 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by MUSTANGBRKR02
Good luck getting a 100 people to commit to a idea though when there are so many other options out there.
Like what? A 9 inch that eats 14 to 15%.. Or a heavy *** Dana ...

This is equivalent to the weight of our 7.5 inch rear ends. I want an Alum Dana in my F body, and I know others would go this route also, if it was available.

I dont want a heavy *** Dana anymore.. Not when I can have this.
Old 09-15-2014, 11:40 PM
12 Second Club

Originally Posted by stage274
Like what? A 9 inch that eats 14 to 15%.. Or a heavy *** Dana ...

This is equivalent to the weight of our 7.5 inch rear ends. I want an Alum Dana in my F body, and I know others would go this route also, if it was available.

I dont want a heavy *** Dana anymore.. Not when I can have this.
My Fab 9 MWC is light and is the strongest thing on the market in bolt in applications.

Like I said good luck getting a 100 people to commit and pay on a idea that isn't even a option when they can buy 3-4 other options ready to go.
Old 09-17-2014, 06:12 AM
Launching!

Originally Posted by MUSTANGBRKR02
My Fab 9 MWC is light and is the strongest thing on the market in bolt in applications.

Like I said good luck getting a 100 people to commit and pay on a idea that isn't even a option when they can buy 3-4 other options ready to go.
I know the fab 9 is bad ***... But it eats almost 15% of the power... That's because the gear is set low in the diff.

Believe or not the Dana eats the least amount of power. Anyways, I will be working with him, looks like I might be drawing up a bracket, to fit a torque am. I dont need people to commit anymore.

Casting new rear ends, looks like will be a no go. However, if this rear end becomes an option, you better believe people will opt for this one. Especially for people making less than 700 rwhp, it eats the least amount of power. 7% vs 15% for the 9, that is a huge deal. Now combine that with the weight savings, its a no brainier.

So we will see where this goes now. I will be talking to him in the next few days.

I like the fact, we can keep drive-train loss at a min, and now this weighs the same as a stock 7.5 rear end. Whats not to like about that. I will keep the board posted if this can manifest into a reality.
Old 09-17-2014, 07:20 AM
12 Second Club

If it happens then that is great. Another option means the prices may go down on the others. I couldn't care about a perceived 15% loss. I have more than enough power to manage with my new setup. If drive train loss was a huge issue everyone would have 6 speeds.
Old 09-17-2014, 07:27 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Looks pretty darn nice.
Old 09-17-2014, 11:40 AM
Restricted User

Received 104 Likes on 87 Posts

The only thing holding me back on getting the strange s60 is weight.
Old 09-18-2014, 04:56 AM
Launching!

Originally Posted by JoeNova
The only thing holding me back on getting the strange s60 is weight.
I just weighed my 2002 ws6 collectors edition yesterday. It came in at 3500 on the money, quarter tank of gas, light weight seats, no back seats, no spare, or jack. However, its pro-charged, tube front end, tubed heavy frame connectors, and a tubed torque arm. I am not going to add 160 pounds to it, by going with a normal steel strange rear end if I dont have to.

I want to loose 80 pounds more actually, by going with light weight rims; maybe black painted c5 z06 rims, and a lithium battery which saves 40 pounds by itself.

And the guy who does not care about power loss, the more power you make the more power you loose. He does not realize, if you loose about 13% on a normal drive train on our cars, and then you add 14 to 15 percent on top. Well your eating close to 30% of your power. Yes its a huge deal!! I want to keep it right around 13% or less.

CarCraft Magazine did a rear dyno test, they tested this old ford, with an auto, 9 inch, also had a mechanical fan on the front; it was a 351 making 377 hp. It lost 37% of its power. The fan alone took 7%, then the 9 inch about 14 to 15%. Then they tested this stage one Buick 4 speed car, it ate 18%, but it had a viscous style fan. Our cars eat around 13%, I seen some of our cars eat much less also.

So these are the hard numbers, its fine if you are making 700 HP, but, 30% is 30% vs 13% to 15% loss.

http://www.carcraft.com/techarticles..._friendly.html

Last edited by stage274; 09-18-2014 at 05:10 AM.

Quick Reply: ALUMINUM DANA 60s UNVEILED AT THE MOPAR NATS..