Forced Induction Superchargers | Turbochargers | Intercoolers

Precision Turbo went bad twice in 3 months....now what?

Search this Thread

Old 05-16-2012, 08:58 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Okay, I have a question. Surely there is such a thing as "over oiling" No?
Old 05-16-2012, 09:52 PM
Banned

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Wicked69
Yes; in which case you would run a restrictor.
Old 05-16-2012, 10:39 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

did u have those filter on each time they broke? anything over -3 would be fine for the feed. precision always seems to say bs about this and that with -4 the are full of ****
Old 05-16-2012, 11:12 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by Wicked69
Every turbo is different. Example the turbos u have a pte6262 journal bearing can take as much oil as u can put in the top of it. But a pte6262b ball bearing turbo can not, so they have built in restrictions.

Last edited by Toxic-Evo; 05-17-2012 at 09:09 AM.
Old 05-17-2012, 07:44 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by Toxic-Evo
Every turbo is different. Example the turbos u have a pte6262 journal bearing can take as much oil as u can put in the top of it. But a pte6262b ball bearing turbo can not do they have built in restrictions.
Thanks for explaining that. Friday, I will have a -6 to a Y that then goes a -4 on each turbo. I'll fire it up and see how much more it pumps out prior to installation of the turbos.

I'll keep everyone updated.
Old 05-17-2012, 09:21 AM
Tenured Member

You guys are reading way to far into this. The oil feed is PLENTY! You don't have to drown a turbo in oil for it to survive a few miles.

There is clearly a pre-exsisting condition with the one turbo. The same turbo failed TWICE and was swapped to each side of the engine. While the other turbo had no issues.

The Y block is a good idea. Keep in mind you pumped 20 ounces out at IDLE!!! We are talking about OIL flow and not FUEL. 20 ounces is MORE than plenty!!!

If they don't fix it right this time then you need to throw that bitch through their front window. Completely unacceptable. The turbo business is blowing up right now and it would be in their best interest to fix it or make it right.

Good luck with them. I hope it works out for you.
Old 05-17-2012, 11:30 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by Tim @ LSX Transport
You guys are reading way to far into this. The oil feed is PLENTY! You don't have to drown a turbo in oil for it to survive a few miles.

There is clearly a pre-exsisting condition with the one turbo. The same turbo failed TWICE and was swapped to each side of the engine. While the other turbo had no issues.

The Y block is a good idea. Keep in mind you pumped 20 ounces out at IDLE!!! We are talking about OIL flow and not FUEL. 20 ounces is MORE than plenty!!!

If they don't fix it right this time then you need to throw that bitch through their front window. Completely unacceptable. The turbo business is blowing up right now and it would be in their best interest to fix it or make it right.

Good luck with them. I hope it works out for you.
Tim, Is that a 68 Chevelle in the picture? What do you have in the engine bay? Looks nice.
Old 05-17-2012, 11:42 AM
Tenured Member

Thanks! It's a 1968 Chevelle. I sent you a PM.
Old 05-22-2012, 04:37 PM
TECH Fanatic

I wanted to give an update. I am not sure how much oil a turbo actually needs but with the Aeromotive "Y" fitting that has a -6 (using a 3/8" line) and two -4's that feed each turbo, it definitely is pumping way more oil. Shoot I hope my two -10 Drain Lines are enough.

I used the same two 1 gallon antifreeze jugs for the test. Both turbo's are off the car and I fired it up. It only took about 15 seconds and I could see that there was a ton more oil coming out. I only let it fun for about 35 seconds and it nearly filled up both jugs in that amount of time.

I still don't know that this will fix the problem but if not enough oil was the problem it won't be anymore. I hope to have it all back together in a week or so and can keep an update on the turbo. If it works out and doesn't go bad then I think you have to commend Precision for taking care of the issue and trying to solve the problem. If the turbo still goes bad, then we'll see what happens.

I'll update again in a few weeks and then again after a couple hundred miles.
Old 05-22-2012, 04:45 PM

Received 31 Likes on 25 Posts

i didnt read anything about restrictors, are you running any on the turbos? or oil feeds?

should have at least an .080 on a Precision
Old 05-22-2012, 06:20 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by denmah
i didnt read anything about restrictors, are you running any on the turbos? or oil feeds?

No. I was told that the turbo was "coking." They sent me pictures and you can definitely tell that the turbo shaft and bearings are getting hot. Precision believes it is because a lack of oil. I was running a -4 off a block above the oil filter and the using a "T" fitting and a -4 to each turbo. For some reason one turbo kept going bad. Now I am running a -6 and a 3/8th line to a "Y fitting and then to a -4 to each turbo. From what I was told from someone the turbos I have can have as much oil as you can give them and I was not giving them enough.

I know there is plenty of oil coming out now!
Old 05-23-2012, 07:50 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 69 Likes on 61 Posts

"I used the same two 1 gallon antifreeze jugs for the test. Both turbo's are off the car and I fired it up. It only took about 15 seconds and I could see that there was a ton more oil coming out. I only let it fun for about 35 seconds and it nearly filled up both jugs in that amount of time."

Nearly 2 gallons in 1/2 minute..Think about that. You are circulating more than the entire oil pan capacity thru those turbos in 30 sec. THAT'S NUTZ!
Were you refilling the crank case while you ran the test??
If not, there's something wrong with this picture...............
Old 05-23-2012, 08:20 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by Old Geezer
"I used the same two 1 gallon antifreeze jugs for the test. Both turbo's are off the car and I fired it up. It only took about 15 seconds and I could see that there was a ton more oil coming out. I only let it fun for about 35 seconds and it nearly filled up both jugs in that amount of time."

Nearly 2 gallons in 1/2 minute..Think about that. You are circulating more than the entire oil pan capacity thru those turbos in 30 sec. THAT'S NUTZ!
Were you refilling the crank case while you ran the test??
If not, there's something wrong with this picture...............
There is more than enough oil to run the engine cold for 30 secs losing that oil. I didn't let the car run all day. I let it run for 30 secs with the oil level full at idle. I think it was fine. Now that I know everything is working I will drain the remaining oil and replace with new oil and filter.

Also, it didn't fill the jug in the sense I had the top open. If you read the previous threads you will see a picture of the jugs I made and cut open. It filled out 2 full qts in 30 secs or so. Twice as much as in the previous test. The jugs are nearly full because the fronts of them are cut out.
Old 05-23-2012, 03:09 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 69 Likes on 61 Posts

U r rite....
Old 05-24-2012, 12:06 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by denmah

if it is a journal turbo, it doesnt need restrictors.

ball bearing is a different story. but precison ball bearing turbos come with the restrictor installed
Old 06-02-2012, 06:05 PM
On The Tree

Any updates?
Old 09-16-2012, 09:03 AM
TECH Resident

I spent hours one time troubleshooting my supposed oiling problems with my Precision journal bearing, billet wheel SC6265sp. Worked with a couple of guys at Precision to do every goofy test they wanted done, but to no avail. By the way, this turbo made nasty sounding wicked boost, so I really wanted it to work well. I had to change around the drain setup, try different size feed lines, run the car with it tilted like crazy, you name it.

Finally they were getting ready to have me send it in for repair "under warranty," but I got a strange feeling that I was going to be left with a big bill for their work...

The vendor I got the turbo from told me that no matter what Precision says, a .070" (or slightly smaller) restrictor is nearly a mandatory thing with their turbos. With a little massaging of the I threw a .070" nitrous jet into the fitting into the turbo, and "voila!" no more problems at all.... The whole thing gave me very mixed feelings about Precision. The turbo really was awesome, but they didn't seem to know how to use it. What the heck?
Old 09-16-2012, 09:12 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by Tjabo
The vendor I got the turbo from told me that no matter what Precision says, a .070" (or slightly smaller) restrictor is nearly a mandatory thing with their turbos. With a little massaging of the I threw a .070" nitrous jet into the fitting into the turbo, and "voila!" no more problems at all.... The whole thing gave me very mixed feelings about Precision. The turbo really was awesome, but they didn't seem to know how to use it. What the heck?
I have a PT7675 I bought new and had smoking problem, with no restrictor it was shooting oil out of the compressor and turbine. I called Precision and asked my vendor and they said to send it in. Bad idea jeans, I wound up with a .060 restrictor I think it is, it still smokes for a seconds around 100* engine temps on cold mornings, but otherwise it seems to be fixed. It seems to be a good turbo other than that, Im waiting for the time it fails because of the restrictor. Only around 1200 miles on it so far. Precision and vendor both said no restrictor needed. Last Precision I buy, never had an issue with BW or Turbonetics.

Quick Reply: Precision Turbo went bad twice in 3 months....now what?