Forced Induction Superchargers | Turbochargers | Intercoolers

Boiling fuel or cavitation in boosted application?

Search this Thread

Old 05-15-2012, 09:41 AM
TECH Resident

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Fbodyjunkie06
Well I'm just glad I could be of some help with the timing and boost.

Hope you get this fuel situation squared away.
thoughts on using an adjustable pressure switch to activate the "up-speed" on the fuel pump speed controller?
Old 05-15-2012, 09:43 AM
10 Second Club

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by dville_gt
thoughts on using an adjustable pressure switch to activate the "up-speed" on the fuel pump speed controller?
I like the idea of the pressure switch instead of the controller as MM said it they unreliable and expensive, not only that as you stated it is dictated by RPM and not load as map pressure activated would be.

I think you're going in the right direction.
Old 05-15-2012, 09:51 AM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Can you run a bigger cell? I run a aeromotive elimator aswell with same filter, going thru a boost referenced regulator. But i'm carbed and I street drive the car all the time no issues. I would look into either bigger sump or fuel cooler moroso sells one cheap
Old 05-15-2012, 09:52 AM
TECH Resident

I like the idea of the pressure switch instead of the controller as MM said it they unreliable and expensive, not only that as you stated it is dictated by RPM and not load as map pressure activated would be.

I think you're going in the right direction.
I already own the speed controller just hadn’t been using it since it doesn’t pick up my tach signal from my 0411 pcm without the $80 tach driver (and I hadn’t had a problem with the fuel overheating before it started getting hot outside with this new turbo setup).

The speed controller has two activation methods, one is a set rpm threshold, i.e. @ 3k rpm it goes to full speed. Problem with this is I cruise at 3k rpm on the highway. I supposed I could set it even higher, but one the 2 step/tbrake I can build boost at lower rpm’s then just flashing the converter so I’d inherently still risk boosting at the lower speed setting.

The other activation method is “manually switched” activation. If you ground one of the pins it puts the pump into the high speed mode. This is where I’d use the pressure switch. Set the pressure switch to ground that pin at say 2psi of manifold pressure. Aeromotive claims the eliminator at low speed supports ~500rw, there is no way my motor would make nearly that much without a lot more than 2 psi so it seems like this would cover me well.

As I am sure you know the controller doesn’t simply provide lower voltage to the pump as that would blow it up, the controller pulses the pump to achieve the low speed operation, this is why I’d have to use my pump speed controller in conjunction with the pressure switch for activation of the controller.
Old 05-15-2012, 09:59 AM
10 Second Club

I already own the speed controller just hadn’t been using it since it doesn’t pick up my tach signal from my 0411 pcm without the $80 tach driver (and I hadn’t had a problem with the fuel overheating before it started getting hot outside with this new turbo setup).

The speed controller has two activation methods, one is a set rpm threshold, i.e. @ 3k rpm it goes to full speed. Problem with this is I cruise at 3k rpm on the highway. I supposed I could set it even higher, but one the 2 step/tbrake I can build boost at lower rpm’s then just flashing the converter so I’d inherently still risk boosting at the lower speed setting.

The other activation method is “manually switched” activation. If you ground one of the pins it puts the pump into the high speed mode. This is where I’d use the pressure switch. Set the pressure switch to ground that pin at say 2psi of manifold pressure. Aeromotive claims the eliminator at low speed supports ~500rw, there is no way my motor would make nearly that much without a lot more than 2 psi so it seems like this would cover me well.

As I am sure you know the controller doesn’t simply provide lower voltage to the pump as that would blow it up, the controller pulses the pump to achieve the low speed operation, this is why I’d have to use my pump speed controller in conjunction with the pressure switch for activation of the controller.
I honestly didn't know that it pulsed, as when I bought my last turbo car from Mighty Mouse it already had dual walboro's and I never had to research that aspect of a bigger pump(s) or one that needed a speed controller to work. I was aware of the controller and what it's function was, but not how it actually achieved that function.

Sounds like a solid plan to set it at 2psi, hell you might find that you have to tune around that too much with fueling or VE and set it higher at like 5-6psi. Just find out what works best, you have always figured the other problems out I know you'll get this one worked out too.
Old 05-15-2012, 10:08 AM
TECH Resident

I honestly didn't know that it pulsed, as when I bought my last turbo car from Mighty Mouse it already had dual walboro's and I never had to research that aspect of a bigger pump(s) or one that needed a speed controller to work. I was aware of the controller and what it's function was, but not how it actually achieved that function.

Sounds like a solid plan to set it at 2psi, hell you might find that you have to tune around that too much with fueling or VE and set it higher at like 5-6psi. Just find out what works best, you have always figured the other problems out I know you'll get this one worked out too.
I thought about the tuning aspect but since the regulator holds the pressure consistent I figure the injector is going to see the same thing either way regardless if the pump is working harder or not?
Old 05-15-2012, 10:09 AM
TECH Resident

And it doesn't "pulse" it like on-off-on-off

Per their site
Avoid any device that reduces voltage to your fuel pump. Low voltage will destroy a 12V DC motor. The Aeromotive FPSC does not reduce voltage! The FPSC emits a pulse modulation signal that is harmless to the pump’s motor.
Old 05-15-2012, 10:16 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 45 Likes on 31 Posts

simple free test, remove ALL the filters and see if it helps.

last 'street/race' car i worked on with an aeromotive pump and controller i took that **** off and threw it in the garbage. owner couldn't be happier with the results.

one 255 to drive around on, one bosch 340 under boost via eboost trigger got him 1200 to the tires. one from each corner of a small sumped tank.
Old 05-15-2012, 11:59 AM
10 Second Club

I thought about the tuning aspect but since the regulator holds the pressure consistent I figure the injector is going to see the same thing either way regardless if the pump is working harder or not?
Now I'm not quite sure, you've got me wondering.

MM any thoughts? I know your BS3 triggers your two other 255's via TPS % would he have to pull some fuel out of where the second pump kicked on at?
Old 05-15-2012, 12:54 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 45 Likes on 31 Posts

you will see a slight jump in pressure as flow increases, nothing to write home about unless you have an undersized regulator/return.

if your regulator can hold the pressure down at idle now with the pump on full blast, then idling with the pump on 'half blast' should be a piece of cake.
Old 05-15-2012, 01:18 PM
TECH Resident

not trying to defend aeromotive here, but wouldn't running 1 small pump and 1 large aux pump (triggered by a third device) introduce as much (if not more) room for failure then the aeromotive controller. at least with the controller there is a 50/50 chance it'll fail on high or that it will just fail all together (thus the engine stalls). with the aux pump the trigger could fail and/or the pump itself, either of which would go unnoticed until you leaned it WAY out and popped the motor.

obviously this is not "likely", but failures never are i suppose
Old 05-16-2012, 01:34 PM
10 Second Club

not trying to defend aeromotive here, but wouldn't running 1 small pump and 1 large aux pump (triggered by a third device) introduce as much (if not more) room for failure then the aeromotive controller. at least with the controller there is a 50/50 chance it'll fail on high or that it will just fail all together (thus the engine stalls). with the aux pump the trigger could fail and/or the pump itself, either of which would go unnoticed until you leaned it WAY out and popped the motor.

obviously this is not "likely", but failures never are i suppose
I would think so.

You have several options to choose from.

Like MM said, it's kinda about what your plans are for the car. If you want it to be able to idle for extended periods of time and then run full out, find the most dependable way to do it.

Race cars just have to go full out and don't need to really worry about idle.

You get the picture
Old 05-16-2012, 01:42 PM
TECH Regular

That's what u need then. I couldn't remember which one was more free flowing. I had the same issue with twin A1000 pumps on my old setup. I switched to the aeromotive 100 micron stainless filters and it fixed the problem completely
Old 05-16-2012, 01:52 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I know when we run an aeromotive a1000 or eliminator pump we run a minimum -12 in and -10 out to the Y. Running a typical oil cooler as a fuel cooler does wonders. Install it on the return side of the fuel system. The fuel controller is a must in my books. I have used them with zero issues.
Old 05-17-2012, 04:28 PM
10 Second Club

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

An In tank magnafuel 4303 is what has been recommended to me. Thinking that would be a good setup especially if I used a fuel cooler

Quick Reply: Boiling fuel or cavitation in boosted application?