Forced Induction Superchargers | Turbochargers | Intercoolers

DIY water to air intercooler

Search this Thread

Old 04-17-2004, 07:33 PM
Adkoonerstrator

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Wow, looks good Steve. The air-water looks like it does a MUCH better job at dropping temps then the alky alone did.

How long did it take for the air temps to come back down to normal cruise temps after the run? Do you have any guages hooked up to monitor the intercooler water temps, just wondering how long it takes for the water to cool off with that big A/C condenser as the heat exchanger. The one in the trucks has over 450 square inches of fin area with a wide open shot of air coming into it, kinda gets me thinking.

Good job, very nice setup you got there...even a little bling here and there.
Old 04-17-2004, 08:07 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

XLR8NSS, thanks!
Temps dropped to about 82 degrees in about 2-3 minutes after the run.
I don't have a temp sensor for the water but when I got back it was what I would call "room temp". Not warm and not cold.
Yes, I used to think alky did a wonderful job reducing temps.
But I found what was happening when I measured charge temps was the nozzle was to close to the sensor. It was "wetting' the sensor and the sensor was really measuring the alky temp. When I moved the nozzle way back from the sensor I found the true IAT was not anywhere near as low as I had thought.
This combo with the 9th mechanical fuel injector works great. I use just one fuel now and no need for larger injectors and my Charge temps are low enough to keep the motor HAPPY. I am running pump gas( well Cam2 100 octane unleaded pump gas ) at about 10.5-1 A-F. I don't know about dyno queen style power but my acceleration tests show the rich mix does not hinder performance. The motor just "feels" better and smoother run with a rich A-F. I'm tired of taking it apart so rich it stays.
The project was a lot of work but I feel it was all worth it now.
Steve

Quick Reply: DIY water to air intercooler