Forced Induction Superchargers | Turbochargers | Intercoolers

Help me plan my Turbo Build

Search this Thread

Old 05-20-2012, 09:27 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Help me plan my Turbo Build

Hello all! I am soon going to start collecting parts for my future turbo build to replace my ls1 in my 88 camaro. This will be a semi-budget build to. In the end id like to spend around 4-5k souly on the engine alone This is including i do all of the work i can myself. I know everything else will need to be upgraded as, however, im only concerned about the engine for now.

Anyways.. this shall be the first time im getting "into" motors and also turbos so i figure why not combine them . The goal is to have it so i can DD it without much to any problems. Not sure if i want to also have a dual pcm which will have a "street" tune that will be around ~600whp and a "track" tune which will be around ~800whp OR just use a boost controller so i can the power where i want to. Dual pcm seems safer but im not sure...
Right now im pretty much at the basics on what i want...

Main Goals:
-Reliable
-"stock" appearing (i LOVE sleeper cars)
-if i can, stockish sounding.

Engine Mods List:

-Lq4/lq9 rebuilt short block with stock crank and forged dished pistons/rods
-low compression truck heads that will receive some p&p with ls9 head gaskets
-z06 cam or a custom grind turbo cam (remember trying to keep it stockish sounding )
-turbonetics turbo capable of supporting my power goals/wastegate/bov using reversed truck manifolds and custom piping
-ebay 4" intercooler
-fast intake

Like i said this is a very basic list and hope to learn ALOT about building my own motor and dealing with a turbo. I dont think my goals seem to far fetched. I will also start contacting different shops when i start my build so i can get a good idea of the direction i want to go in.
Id love to hear some opinions/set ups some of you have on this. List isnt perfect and im sure it can be improved on
Ideas on the actual turbo setup is what really gets me. So any help on that will be much appreciated!
*Also I will have questions that arise im sure. Its been a long day and i cant think of them atm.
Old 05-20-2012, 09:52 PM
On The Tree

You should look into using the fast intake with boost. I think that I have read that they can crack. Most turbo builds I see that aren't using an OEM intake are using a carb style intake with an elbow.
Old 05-20-2012, 10:27 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by Cronic_Moronic
You should look into using the fast intake with boost. I think that I have read that they can crack. Most turbo builds I see that aren't using an OEM intake are using a carb style intake with an elbow.
I read up on it a bit and people seem to argue on the fast vs. lsx in terms of which is better. Im think of a ls intake as with boost i feel as if the fast isnt worth the extra dough. A carb intake wouldnt be my choice as i plan on keeping it fi.
Old 05-20-2012, 10:32 PM
TECH Resident

You can still use a carb style intake with efi. They have versions with injector holes and you can use a fab elbow this i what allot of guys are running on boosted motors.
Old 05-20-2012, 10:45 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by 6togo
You can still use a carb style intake with efi. They have versions with injector holes and you can use a fab elbow this i what allot of guys are running on boosted motors.
Do you guys really think normal lsx intakes are that weak at those hp levels? I didnt think theyd be much of a problem until you approach 1000whp+.
Old 05-21-2012, 02:32 AM
TECH Regular

Don't limit yourself by going with a T4 initially.

GT76 or GT80 from FI - what ever Tnetics has that matches a T6 w/ ~85mm exducer turbine
If you want to have the turbo maxed then a TN1100 from Tnetics.
It's basically a HP7675BB w/ I assume a 1.27 T6
But the GT76 is cheaper since it's a journal bearing

LS9 cam -dead smooth idle of course.....and works fine with stock rockers.
LS7 lifters
LS6 intake
all the above are cheap too!

That's enough for 1000fwhp.

The BB turbo will help with reliability.
Or you can run a big heavy BW S480 1.1 ar 87mm t6 for about same price as a GT it should last as long as the motor at least.

Search on screen name Stock48 for GT76 info.

Last edited by TurboS10; 05-21-2012 at 02:59 AM.
Old 05-21-2012, 07:26 AM
TECH Apprentice

That is crazy! Im not sure if i missed it but what kind of power was he making?
Honestly i never thought about using a ls9 cam. Im assuming it works fine with turbos just like a s/c.
The gt76 wouldnt be too much turbo right? I *plan* on using a built t56 for this so too much lag would end up being a problem. And since its a jounal bearing, how reliable would you say it is?
Thanks btw for you input/advice!
Old 05-22-2012, 01:37 PM
TECH Regular

An online calculator says he's making about 1000hp.

A 76 is fine for a street 350-370
But to make 1k you have to get the bigger turbine and compressor cover.
That's why the TC or GTK 76mm are only rated for 800 or so HP vs 1000+ for a T76.
For a stick car mostly street you'd want the TC or GTK 76mm or the HP76w/a 75mm t4 turbine. The TC 68mm turbine for 600 hp and the 75mm S turbine for 800 hp.
Old 05-22-2012, 02:24 PM
TECH Resident

The Shortblock sounds good and widely used.
I would run an aftermarket head with a thicker deck. AFRs, TFS, or PRC(aftermarket casting) heads would be awesome. The main reason people use 317 heads is to lower Compression on Stock Motors, if your building then engine you can choose a pistons to reach your CR.
ZR1 Cam or LS7 Cam (the same, the LS7 specs are based off of a different RR)
I would run a Borg Warner Turbo as they're reliable as can be. Precision has been having problems lately. And Garrett uses old technology. A BEP or BW S480 would be perfect (the BEP S476R even better).
I would run an LS6 Intake Manifold. They are less prone to splitting under boost.
Old 05-22-2012, 07:13 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by TurboS10
An online calculator says he's making about 1000hp.

A 76 is fine for a street 350-370
But to make 1k you have to get the bigger turbine and compressor cover.
That's why the TC or GTK 76mm are only rated for 800 or so HP vs 1000+ for a T76.
For a stick car mostly street you'd want the TC or GTK 76mm or the HP76w/a 75mm t4 turbine. The TC 68mm turbine for 600 hp and the 75mm S turbine for 800 hp.
Excuse my ignorance, whats the difference from a GTK 76mm from a T76? Also, im assuming you mean to switch out turbines to get the desired hp level?

Originally Posted by TheLS1Lover
The Shortblock sounds good and widely used.
I would run an aftermarket head with a thicker deck. AFRs, TFS, or PRC(aftermarket casting) heads would be awesome. The main reason people use 317 heads is to lower Compression on Stock Motors, if your building then engine you can choose a pistons to reach your CR.
ZR1 Cam or LS7 Cam (the same, the LS7 specs are based off of a different RR)
I would run a Borg Warner Turbo as they're reliable as can be. Precision has been having problems lately. And Garrett uses old technology. A BEP or BW S480 would be perfect (the BEP S476R even better).
I would run an LS6 Intake Manifold. They are less prone to splitting under boost.
I wouldnt mind using some nice heads, but like i said its a "semi-budget" build. And i know its probably worth it, but i cant justify spending $1.5k+ for heads when i can find some cheap truck heads that flow crazy and lower compression. Im sure i can get higher CR pistons to even it out. Im willing to spend more money for a reliable turbo so i can have peace of mind.
What company is BEP btw so i can try to look up their stuff?
Old 05-23-2012, 02:00 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Id put the money from the FAST intake into another aspect of the build. LS6 intake would be perfectly fine for a turbo setup.
Old 05-28-2012, 05:28 PM
TECH Regular

Yes, different turbine depending on most desired HP level. -mostly due to your 6spd-
Most likely you'd like a 7675 size turbo shifting at 6k w/the boost turned up.
It should rev to 6500 just fine w/ 8-10 psi street tune.

You'll be fine at your power level with 317's. -with a good tune-
People don't seem to have problems with them until 18+psi.

GTK = bling
It has a 68mm turbine same as the TC but a more expensive compressor cover with powder coat and surge suppressor porting, and ball bearings. Set up for 4 cyl or twins on big v8.

TC has polished standard cover 4/2.5 and journal bearings.

A T76 is the old generic designation. But usually a 4/3 "H" cover or 4/2.5 and a 75 mm exducer (small side) turbine.

You can't make a generic statement about Garret = old either- it depends on the turbo and what you want.
A PT88h is a popular turbo on here. It's based on an old garret T88 compressor.
People run 8's with them. Old works just fine in this application and cost's less.

BEP is another BW dealer. To me it looks like they just have better advertising. And the price to go with it.
I prefer ForcedInducitions.com (board sponsor) or TurboDaves or any of the board sponsor's. FI can get you the Tnetics or BW.
Ask them if the BW S475 or 478 w/ 83/74 T6 turbine will work with a manual trans 370.

Last edited by TurboS10; 05-28-2012 at 05:53 PM.

Quick Reply: Help me plan my Turbo Build