the cam is 226-239 560- 600 112
Old 05-23-2012, 12:58 PM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

LSA would be better at 115 up
Old 05-23-2012, 01:11 PM
TECH Resident

it tpis custom cam its a little diffrent clay said but i lost my cam sheet. and it is really close to it he said
Old 05-23-2012, 01:21 PM
TECH Addict

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Adam123
LSA would be better at 115 up
^ this
Old 05-23-2012, 01:29 PM
TECH Resident

is it a bad cam? or not as efficent as the 115???

sorry i dont know cams thanks
Old 05-23-2012, 03:33 PM
Launching!

You want less overlap as possible, that's why we use a wider lobe separation angle. When you have overlap exhaust gas may enter through a partially open valve. This happens because exhaust pressure is greater than charge pressure.

If you are looking to buy that cam for a turbo project I would say no. If you already have the cam and want to use it, keep your boost level low.

I've heard the Z06 cam is a great cam for boost, I think it's lsa is 121 but that is just off the top of my head. But you have a lt1

And remember if you run boost it's a good idea to change valve springs.
I got my cam from Texas Speed, I just called and told them my HP goals and how I wanted the car to run. They gave me a 228 230 lsa115 or 116, have to check my cam specs.

Hope that info helps

Just read your info, with the money you have spent on your motor I would get a custom grind with atleast a 118 lsa. Looks like you are building a beast. What year lt1 motor are you building and are you using an aftermarket ecm?

Last edited by Adam123; 05-23-2012 at 03:41 PM.
Old 05-23-2012, 03:41 PM
TECH Addict

Received 35 Likes on 21 Posts

I know the 'internet knowledge' is minimize exhaust overlap for a boosted application, but has anyone actually done back-to-back testing on this?

I've been part of several back-to-back dyno marathons for N/A cam testing, but I've never done it for a boosted application.

FWIW I have a -2 overlap cam.

I'm asking because over the years I've seen some boosted setups put down some pretty damn impressive numbers with some pretty damn big cams.
Old 05-23-2012, 04:51 PM
On The Tree

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by NoGo

I'm asking because over the years I've seen some boosted setups put down some pretty damn impressive numbers with some pretty damn big cams.

<---------- Same here!!!!
I say if you already have the cam use it it might do better then you think!!
Old 05-23-2012, 05:16 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by NoGo
I know the 'internet knowledge' is minimize exhaust overlap for a boosted application, but has anyone actually done back-to-back testing on this?

I've been part of several back-to-back dyno marathons for N/A cam testing, but I've never done it for a boosted application.

FWIW I have a -2 overlap cam.

By that you mean the amount of exhaust duration is 2 degrees less than the intake duration?
Old 05-23-2012, 05:59 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by Adam123
You want less overlap as possible, that's why we use a wider lobe separation angle. When you have overlap exhaust gas may enter through a partially open valve. This happens because exhaust pressure is greater than charge pressure.

If you are looking to buy that cam for a turbo project I would say no. If you already have the cam and want to use it, keep your boost level low.

I've heard the Z06 cam is a great cam for boost, I think it's lsa is 121 but that is just off the top of my head. But you have a lt1

And remember if you run boost it's a good idea to change valve springs.
I got my cam from Texas Speed, I just called and told them my HP goals and how I wanted the car to run. They gave me a 228 230 lsa115 or 116, have to check my cam specs.

Hope that info helps

Just read your info, with the money you have spent on your motor I would get a custom grind with atleast a 118 lsa. Looks like you are building a beast. What year lt1 motor are you building and are you using an aftermarket ecm?
i have the 24x swap and i already have that cam in the car. tpis set it up for me. i told them what i want and thats what they gave me. i lost the data sheet too. so when i was there getting the car tuned today i ask the engine builder what i have and he said its close to there zz9x cam and thats the specs on the cam its not 100% those numbers but close he said.

but we got it some what dialed in with the fic2000 injectors and my cranks sensor went bad and it took two ******* hours to get we would have had it done today if it wasnt for that and hi tech locked my ecu so i had to buy a used one from tpis too and start from scratch. but it layed down a little under 400 rwhp at 2500 rpm and still not in boost. he was getting the drivability good. and i had my 4.11 in the car. im putting my 3.25 in befor i go back i never ran the gears yet and dint want to run them on the dyno first. so i left my old gears and spool in.
Old 05-23-2012, 06:01 PM
10 Second Club

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Duration, lift, lsa and icl numbers mean nothing if the valve events they represent aren't correct.

To properly spec a cam and see truly how good it is, the person specing the cam needs to know what size turbo(mainly turbine size and housing), rpm range of the motor, intake being used, type of transmission(auto of manual), rear gear and stroke along with the type of cylinder head.

In a power adder application we are already forcing air in, so the main thing to concentrate on is getting that air out. Only way to do that is through the exhaust valve. To do that, we manipulate the cam timing.

Really in a F/I custom cam you spec for the best EVO possible(exhaust valve open) and let the rest of the numbers fall where they may to meet that evo goal. You do this with exhaust duration, lsa and icl.

The intake lobe is only there really to dictate rpm range and dynamic compression with IVC and IVO(intake valve close&open).

Last edited by Fbodyjunkie06; 05-23-2012 at 06:07 PM.

Quick Reply: how good of a boost cam is this