Forced Induction Superchargers | Turbochargers | Intercoolers

F-Body Instruction Manual for "Ebay" Turbo Kits!

Search this Thread

Old 05-24-2012, 11:28 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Default F-Body Instruction Manual for "Ebay" Turbo Kits!

Hey guys, I forgot that when I originally did an Ebay kit, I prototyped it for the company, and in exchange for me making instructions, I'd get the kit at cost. I was cleaning up my files and found this! Hope it can help somebody....

Mods: I wrote this and own the content, so no, there is no copyright violation.

Turbocharger Installation Instructions
for 98-02 LS1 Camaro & Firebird

IMPORTANT, READ THIS FIRST: Study these instructions completely before proceeding. Engine and/or turbocharger damage may occur if any component within these instructions is improperly installed. Fatboy Garage, Godspeed, or any of its distributors cannot be held responsible for damages as a result of negligence or improper installation. This turbocharger system can be installed using common tools and automotive procedures, but the installer must have a thorough knowledge of automotive engine operation and feel comfortable working on the vehicle. If in doubt, consult a knowledgeable turbo installer. Check local laws regarding aftermarket modification to emission controlled vehicles. Remove the turbocharger kit from its carton and inspect for any obvious physical damage. All kit components are thoroughly inspected and carefully packaged prior to shipment from the factory. If any shipping damage is evident, contact your supplier and request that they process a claim with the shipper involved

Before proceeding, it is recommended to have the following items:
• GM F-body (Camaro/Firebird) repair manual
• A large table / workbench
• Standard selection of automotive tools
• Plenty of adjacent available workspace
• The ability to lift the vehicle safely (Floor Jack and Jack Stands)
• RTV sealant, Synthetic Oil and oil filter, engine coolant, Teflon Tape

Additional items recommended:

• MSD spark plug wires
• Spark plug wire heat shields & header heat wrap
• NGK TR6 spark plugs
• High flow fuel pump & new fuel filter
• 42-60 lb/hr high impedance fuel injectors depending on desired boost and power output
• Gauge pod with boost and wideband air/fuel ratio gauges
• Solid motor mounts due to heat
• Thin “pusher” style fans (stock fans cannot be re-used)

Removing Stock Components:

1. Remove ignition coils with bracket to allow removal of spark plugs.
2. Remove all stock exhaust components and emissions equipment.
3. Remove intermediate steering shaft.
4. Remove all intake components, leaving only the throttle body.
5. Refer to service manual to remove front bumper cover.
6. Remove radiator and electric fans.

Installing Oil Feed and Return Lines:

1. Refer to service manual for removing the oil pan.
2. Remove the oil filter adapter plate from directly above the oil filter and drill a hole allowing oil to flow from the cavity through the neck. Using a tap, cut threads to the appropriate size fitting. 1/8 NPT is common.
3. Using a stepped drill bit, drill a hole large enough to allow a 90° fitting to be tapped into the pan. Hole must be ABOVE the oil level to allow the turbo to drain properly. Run as large of an oil return as possible. -12 is common

Installing Turbo “Hotside”:

1. It is recommended that all hotside turbo piping be wrapped with thermal header wrap. “Hotside” refers to manifolds, crossover tube, merge tube, and downpipe. (3) 50 foot rolls will cover all piping.
2. Crossover pipe will need a new 02 sensor bung welded in. Any exhaust/muffler shop can do this for you.
3. Starting with passenger manifold, working your way over to the driver’s side, install right manifold, crossover, left manifold, and turbo merge pipe. (Note** leave all bolts/connections loose until ALL parts have been installed. This will allow for adjustment.)
4. The passenger manifold V-band connection may need to be notched to clear bell-housing. Drivers side manifold may need front bolt hole elongated with drill or dremel to align properly.
5. Install turbocharger with metallic gasket between flanges. Oil drain port (larger port) must be angled down.
6. Install spark plugs and wires before installing downpipe.
7. Install wastegate with a small tube venting to atmosphere.
8. The wastegate flange on the downpipe will need to be cut off and welded shut. Any exhaust/muffler shop can do this for you.
9. Install lower downpipe through motor mount area. (k-member might need to be lowered slightly – refer to service manual)
10. Install upper downpipe to turbo outlet and connect to lower downpipe via V-band clamp. Power-steering lines may need to be bent slightly out of the way.
11. **Larger turbos may require a custom downpipe.
12. Re-install steering shaft.
13. Once alignment is satisfactory, tighten all manifold bolts to manufacturer’s specifications and tighten all V-band clamps.

Installing Turbo “Coldside”:

1. “Coldside” refers to the intercooler, intercooler piping, and silicon connectors.
2. Attach a cone filter to the air inlet of the turbo.
3. Using silicon connectors, direct the intercooler piping towards the passenger side of the engine bay.
4. Cut an access hole in the plastic shield and route piping around the frame rail towards the front of the car.
5. Move horns so that they do not interfere with piping. Vacuum reservoir from air conditioning may need to be relocated.
6. Remove metal bumper support, measure the widest point of the intercooler, and cut a section out of the front to allow the intercooler to mount inside of the support. Do not cut the top portion of the support.
7. Measure the mounting tabs on the intercooler and drill holes through the top of the bumper support and use bolts to secure the intercooler to the support.
8. Route piping from other side of intercooler up through a hole underneath the fuse block. (fuse block may require slight trimming of plastic)(air injection pump and all hoses must be removed)
9. Mount blow off valve in the piping close to the throttle body. (adapter pipe must be used or *weld flange to existing intercooler piping **aluminum welder required)
10. Low boost applications can use the stock mass air flow sensor. High boost applications must run a 2-bar speed density tune which eliminates the mass air flow sensor, yet requires a 2-bar map sensor. Mount various silicon connectors according to application.
11. Install stock intake air temperature sensor in the aluminum tubing near the throttle body. Stock grommet style can be used with low boost applications. High boost applications must use a threaded intake air temperature sensor.
12. Once all routing is complete, tighten all T-bolt clamps.
Old 05-25-2012, 07:53 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 64 Likes on 51 Posts

no pics ???
Old 05-25-2012, 08:59 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

^^^ you want him to install it too?
Old 05-25-2012, 11:07 AM
TECH Fanatic

dude, this is like 2 years old.... I just threw this up real quick to help anybody considering an ebay kit.

Im not going to spend an hour uploading pics to photobucket....
Old 05-25-2012, 12:33 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

You have a link to the exact kit
Old 05-25-2012, 12:46 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 12 Likes on 7 Posts

good write up! I'd love to have a turbo charged Trans Am.... get the old "turbo trans am" decals from back in the 3rd gen days !
Old 05-25-2012, 01:26 PM
11 Second Club

Good write up, thanks for posting it!!!! Could've used it more a month ago!!! Lol.
Old 05-25-2012, 04:37 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by baalic
good write up! I'd love to have a turbo charged Trans Am.... get the old "turbo trans am" decals from back in the 3rd gen days !
THAT would be cool!!

you should do it!
Old 05-25-2012, 05:46 PM
TECH Fanatic

Need to add in
- throw away the dp that comes in the kit and fab your own
- throw away the v-band gaskets that come with it , they just make it worse
- make a custom power steering line , stock one will melt and catch on fire

I recommend to anyone looking at a eBay kit , to just buy the hotside, buy a on3 t76, cx racing intercooler and pipe kit, you will need at least 60# injectors and I highly recommend converting to a return style fuel system with a 1:1 fpr
Oh and most important
BUY A QUALITY WASTEGATE
Old 05-25-2012, 06:00 PM
TECH Fanatic

VOTE for sticky BTW
Old 05-25-2012, 07:07 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

This for the PTK knockoff?
If so forgot to mention:
Need to slot and enlarge header bolts. manifolds do not line up correctly on heads.
02 bung may be welded wrong on pass side. Kit i seen had bung interfering with starter
Xover pipe may rub transmission bellhousing.
Gaskets and hardware are not reccomended for use. Shipped with grafite headers gaskets and 3/8-16 header studs
Old 05-26-2012, 02:11 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by NemeSS
This for the PTK knockoff?
If so forgot to mention:
Need to slot and enlarge header bolts. manifolds do not line up correctly on heads.

(IN THERE)
02 bung may be welded wrong on pass side. Kit i seen had bung interfering with starter

(IN THERE)
Xover pipe may rub transmission bellhousing.

(IN THERE)
Gaskets and hardware are not reccomended for use. Shipped with grafite headers gaskets and 3/8-16 header studs

(Yes I agree on that)
Answered above
Old 05-26-2012, 02:16 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by tripblackls1
Need to add in
- throw away the dp that comes in the kit and fab your own
(Another good option)

- throw away the v-band gaskets that come with it , they just make it worse
(Gaskets? Mine never came with v-band gaskets...?)

- make a custom power steering line , stock one will melt and catch on fire
(Agreed. I wrote this more for the super cheap user, so everything in there is assuming youre being as cheap as possible.) If it was me I would just not but an ebay kit in the first place LOL

I recommend to anyone looking at a eBay kit , to just buy the hotside, buy a on3 t76, cx racing intercooler and pipe kit, you will need at least 60# injectors and I highly recommend converting to a return style fuel system with a 1:1 fpr
Oh and most important
BUY A QUALITY WASTEGATE
Absolutely on the wastegate. I blew up my stock motor on a china wastegate
Old 05-26-2012, 04:36 AM
Banned

You have a link to the exact kit.

Old 05-26-2012, 01:29 PM
TECH Fanatic

Not allowed to link per forum rules , BTW there is better kits made by sponsors on this forum (modular turbo , and kyturbo) that are very competitive in pricing, the eBay kit usually not a simple bolt up kit and will need some finessing
Old 05-26-2012, 04:49 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Very nice explanation on the and very helpfull shold be on the sticky !!!
Old 06-12-2012, 09:21 AM
Launching!

Can you run poly motor mounts with this kit? I have a bmr Turbo k member and don't know if solid mounts will work.

Could you wrap the turbo with a on3 blanket to help with the heat?

What is the best size turbo to run with this kit? T76 or 67mm? Don't really know that much about turbos...will any T4 work?
Old 06-29-2012, 05:34 PM
TECH Addict

Received 108 Likes on 91 Posts

for the 2 bar MAP, how high is high? im planning on keeping mine under 10psi for now but if i get a 2bar MAP, would i still have to have it SD tuned or would it stil work correctly? just wondering.
Old 06-29-2012, 08:23 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by QIK E
Can you run poly motor mounts with this kit? I have a bmr Turbo k member and don't know if solid mounts will work.

Could you wrap the turbo with a on3 blanket to help with the heat?

What is the best size turbo to run with this kit? T76 or 67mm? Don't really know that much about turbos...will any T4 work?
Yes, I ran polys with it, but i made a heat shield so they wouldnt melt.
any T4 will work, turbo size is dependent on your HP goals

Originally Posted by JoshuaGrooms83
for the 2 bar MAP, how high is high? im planning on keeping mine under 10psi for now but if i get a 2bar MAP, would i still have to have it SD tuned or would it stil work correctly? just wondering.
anything over 15psi you need a 3bar map

you can still run a MAF, but I prefer my SD.
Old 07-30-2012, 02:20 PM
Teching In

Hi,

This post is amazing. I would love a ebay kit on my 2000 Trans Am ws6. If i paid you, would you do a setup on my ws6? I live in Los Angeles, and noticed you in Orange County, Thanks

Quick Reply: F-Body Instruction Manual for "Ebay" Turbo Kits!