Forced Induction Superchargers | Turbochargers | Intercoolers

which intake for my boosted application?

Search this Thread

Old 05-31-2012, 09:22 AM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default which intake for my boosted application?

Right now I have an AES 399 iron block being built to see some serious boost and Bryan(who is great to deal with) recommended me a supervictor intake but my question to all of you that have done it, here are my questions and concerns.

1-I have a ultra z hood and don't want to have to hack up my hood to get the supervic to fit so is this intake even an option for me? ive searched on many threads talking about elbow restrictions bottlenecking up the setups so im a little leary of this.

2-Fast 102/102, I want to be able to keep my car streetable and in saying that id like to stick to the max of spinning the motor up to 6800-7000 rpm and I know this would fit under the hood so I'm leaning toward the fast but have any of you have issues with the fast at certain boost levels?
just trying to get a real world answer so I can make my decison.
power goals on low boost around 750-800 and turned up on race gas around 1000-1100 rear wheel hp
Old 05-31-2012, 09:48 AM
11 Second Club

Received 36 Likes on 30 Posts

You are going to need the Victor Jr for your horse power goals of 1100whp, what is the cowl size on the Ultra Z Hood, I am not fimiliar with anyone in my area running one; so i cant picture one in my head?

One of my track friends, who I go to the track with weekly. Has a Simliar motor 386, with a PT-8884 Precision Turbo $2700 Turbo. He is running the Victor jr. with a 6061 inlet from 6061.com and a VFN 4'' cowl hood. I do know that that it did not clear his SS Hood. There was no clearance issues on the VFN Hood Though. I can tell you from being around the fast intake and from dyno gaphs the fast will flow into the 6800 rpm range and then flatten out. They make great products, if you are staying in that power range. I can tell you from a LS6 to the Victor w/ 6061 Elbow he saw over 112hp gains he claims from 4500+ spiking at the top 7800rpms. I have never seen his dyno sheet from before or after. So, I would be just going off of his word. At 5800 feet above sea level he runs 9.1's@152.

**But another thing "I" would do if I was you is call around to some of the performace shops in the LS Community running Turbo/race car setups and ask them what they run. Call QTP, Texas Speed, Spohn, Thunder Racing, Speed Inc, Etc and get there input. If there is a race team running, they will have awnsers for you. They have probabley ran every combo avaliable.**

So, If you want to wrap it high and make high volumes of boost I would look in to more of a top end intake mainfold. But there are people including myself that have made a 1000hp on LS6 Manifolds. So, I could imagine the fast would only be more efficent. Good Luck, Let us know what you come to find out and choose.

O, and by the way he makes 1300hp on 28-??+ lbs. So its a track car, but when tuned down he can drive it on the street.

Last edited by 99Ls1fever; 05-31-2012 at 09:59 AM.
Old 05-31-2012, 10:17 AM
On The Tree

I have a ls6 intake manifold but I was told I would have clearance issues...im assuming because of the mast ls3 style heads...will get that clarified in about 10 minutes but I just got off the phone with speed inc and they said the fast 102 isn't good for over 14-15 pounds of boost ill just blow it apart so now im seriously considering a vic jr ( not sure what type of elbow) or a stock ls3 as of right now I really don't want to spin this motor much past 7000 at all because I want it to last me quite some time...do you think the ls3 is do able or will that become an issue also at 20+ pounds of boost?
Old 05-31-2012, 10:27 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

The LS6 manifold will not bolt to the LS3 heads. The LS3 manifold is better at higher boost leavels then the Fast Intakes. There reason being is the fast intakes are a multiple peice intake. One that can be taken apart for porting. Because of this they have several sealing survaces that can blow gaskets out with higher boost. The stock LS3 manifold is a one peice design. No place for it to start leaking.

You can also look into some of the fabricated manifolds. But they are not cheap.

Have you considered fabricationg some engine mounts to lower the engine a little bit? This might give you the clearance you need up top to keep from cutting on the hood you have. I did this but I did it with a aftermarket BMR engine craddle. I am not sure how much room you have to lower the engine with the stock engine craddle.
Old 05-31-2012, 10:39 AM
On The Tree

Texas WS6 I'll look into possibly modifying the engine mounts, my suspension is being built right now by Burkhart Chassis so they are in "my back yard" so to speak so hopefully that can solve the possible clearance problems... I would really like to keep it somewhat streetable and not rev over 7000 so thats why I am now leaning towards the stock ls3 for now but my only concern with the vic jr or the supervic is if I get one and put it on am I going to feel low end loss and effect driveability and will it result in making me put a restrictive elbow (which i don't want to do) on just to clear the hood....decisions decisions.lol Thank you for the responses guys I appreciate it.
Old 05-31-2012, 10:46 AM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by 99Ls1fever
You are going to need the Victor Jr for your horse power goals of 1100whp, what is the cowl size on the Ultra Z Hood, I am not fimiliar with anyone in my area running one; so i cant picture one in my head?

One of my track friends, who I go to the track with weekly. Has a Simliar motor 386, with a PT-8884 Precision Turbo $2700 Turbo. He is running the Victor jr. with a 6061 inlet from 6061.com and a VFN 4'' cowl hood. I do know that that it did not clear his SS Hood. There was no clearance issues on the VFN Hood Though. I can tell you from being around the fast intake and from dyno gaphs the fast will flow into the 6800 rpm range and then flatten out. They make great products, if you are staying in that power range. I can tell you from a LS6 to the Victor w/ 6061 Elbow he saw over 112hp gains he claims from 4500+ spiking at the top 7800rpms. I have never seen his dyno sheet from before or after. So, I would be just going off of his word. At 5800 feet above sea level he runs 9.1's@152.

**But another thing "I" would do if I was you is call around to some of the performace shops in the LS Community running Turbo/race car setups and ask them what they run. Call QTP, Texas Speed, Spohn, Thunder Racing, Speed Inc, Etc and get there input. If there is a race team running, they will have awnsers for you. They have probabley ran every combo avaliable.**

So, If you want to wrap it high and make high volumes of boost I would look in to more of a top end intake mainfold. But there are people including myself that have made a 1000hp on LS6 Manifolds. So, I could imagine the fast would only be more efficent. Good Luck, Let us know what you come to find out and choose.

O, and by the way he makes 1300hp on 28-??+ lbs. So its a track car, but when tuned down he can drive it on the street.
I am not 100% sure what the cowl height is on it, ill have to check when I get home tonight but just a fair ball park id say maybe 2-3 inches taller in the middle section of the hood but everything else is virtually stock with the opening at the front so I'm sure I'll have to do some hacking.
Old 05-31-2012, 10:52 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 31 Likes on 13 Posts

I was in the same boat your were in.I did not want to cut hood nor cowl. I called Marcella and he is building me a intake that will fit under cowl and will take a ton of boost.
Old 05-31-2012, 11:20 AM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by LS6 Z28
Texas WS6 I'll look into possibly modifying the engine mounts, my suspension is being built right now by Burkhart Chassis so they are in "my back yard" so to speak so hopefully that can solve the possible clearance problems... I would really like to keep it somewhat streetable and not rev over 7000 so thats why I am now leaning towards the stock ls3 for now but my only concern with the vic jr or the supervic is if I get one and put it on am I going to feel low end loss and effect driveability and will it result in making me put a restrictive elbow (which i don't want to do) on just to clear the hood....decisions decisions.lol Thank you for the responses guys I appreciate it.
I would look into k member spacers and see if anyone has them or runs them. And then get coil overs in the front to adjust the ride height. It will help with hood clearance issues. I have one off custom drop motor mounts, they helped a little bit but I still had to notch my hood for my blower.

Good Info to know about the Fast Intake Manifolds. Thats why I was referring you to Race Shops that have track cars. They know a lot of info that board people cannot speak about from personal experiance. Alot of hear say, etc. I did not know you are running LS3 Heads, or I wouldnt have suggested the LS6 idea. Very Cool, I am a big fan of them. They are bad ***! IMO, I would contact Mast Motorsports they are very impressive. And IMO Build the best heads bar none and ask them what intakes they have been seeing success with on there heads and what they would reccommend.

Remember, there isnt going to be a long lasting motor or engine when pushing 850-1000 hp around all the time. I have seen people get 30-40k out of some, but you cant build a race car motor and expect it to last forever.
Old 05-31-2012, 11:51 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 45 Likes on 31 Posts

why don't you use the factory ls7 intake?
Old 05-31-2012, 12:02 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by MIGHTYMOUSE
I didn't know the ls7 intake would work with the ls3 style heads...if it does then ill def and strongly consider it. Thanks David! I'll eventually get a similar setup to yours one day,by the way, your car is SICK!!! lol
Old 05-31-2012, 12:17 PM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by MIGHTYMOUSE
MM- Is right, idk why that didnt cross my mind, getting old is a b*tch!

It will save you money and people put down big numners on those all day. I am not sure what there rpm range is though, maybe M.M. can chime in and give you more info. I am sure it has to be close to 7,000rpms I would think.

But at the same time if you have the coin, I wouldnt second guess going with a sheetmetal intake manifold. Wilson Manifolds Makes One that is pretty sick. I can't think of who else builds them. But I am sure there is a few guys on here that could help you out with info on them.

Last edited by 99Ls1fever; 05-31-2012 at 12:22 PM.
Old 05-31-2012, 12:33 PM
On The Tree

well I'll keep everyone updated as to what I end up choosing and how the numbers play out. Hopefully here in about a month or sooner everything will be done, buttoned up and shredding tires
Old 05-31-2012, 12:45 PM
TECH Senior Member

i just read they wont interchange

check out this pic

credits to this link
http://forums.corvetteforum.com/c6-t...on-an-ls3.html
Old 05-31-2012, 12:51 PM
On The Tree

thanks for the input MM! hey on a side note have you sold that car yet? I got 17 k ; ) lol in all seriousness though I hope someone buys it you have it listed for a hell of a deal...whats your next "new project" going to be?
Old 05-31-2012, 01:29 PM
TECH Senior Member

yep paid for just awaiting pick up.. cant tell yet!
Old 05-31-2012, 01:36 PM
10 Second Club

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I would personally use a Holley EFI intake or the Edelbrock.

The main thing is what is your cam spec'd to turn rpm wise? Your going to want to match your cam to what intake you are running.

It sounds like you already have the engine and that would lead me to think you already have the cam.

If this is the case and AES is wanting you to run a Super Victor then they had the cam spec'd for a super victor. If you put a stock intake manifold on it, the manifold won't support the operating range of the cam and you will be left with a combo that should make peak power at 7000-7250+ versus one that is limited to 6700-6800rpm.

If your going to have two tunes and run low boost on the street and high boost on the track, how does turning the motor higher rpm wise make it not streetable, if your going to have a high boost kill tune for the track, turn that SOB up!!!!! Then keep the rpm's reasonable when your playing on the street. I can tell you now there aren't many places you can "play" with a 700rwhp car on the street and feel comfortable doing it That alone should keep it streetable in itself by using your right foot

Just trying to figure out where you stand with all this though that's all.
Old 05-31-2012, 02:08 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by Fbodyjunkie06
I would personally use a Holley EFI intake or the Edelbrock.

The main thing is what is your cam spec'd to turn rpm wise? Your going to want to match your cam to what intake you are running.

It sounds like you already have the engine and that would lead me to think you already have the cam.

If this is the case and AES is wanting you to run a Super Victor then they had the cam spec'd for a super victor. If you put a stock intake manifold on it, the manifold won't support the operating range of the cam and you will be left with a combo that should make peak power at 7000-7250+ versus one that is limited to 6700-6800rpm.

If your going to have two tunes and run low boost on the street and high boost on the track, how does turning the motor higher rpm wise make it not streetable, if your going to have a high boost kill tune for the track, turn that SOB up!!!!! Then keep the rpm's reasonable when your playing on the street. I can tell you now there aren't many places you can "play" with a 700rwhp car on the street and feel comfortable doing it That alone should keep it streetable in itself by using your right foot

Just trying to figure out where you stand with all this though that's all.
They haven't spec'd me out a cam yet I'll probably get one custom grinded but what I was referring to is I'm like a lot of people who put a lot of money into a setup you don't want to pull it apart 6 months down the road so I figured running 2 tunes would do 2 things 1 get my comfortable with the car and used to finding the sweat spot on the stall converter with the trans brake then little by little turn it up but if I want to take it to a cruise in or just to romp on every now and then I don't need 20+ pounds I'd turn it down some because I figure its less wear and tear ya know and ID LOVE the new Holley but I want to try to stick with something that will fit under my hood
Old 05-31-2012, 02:35 PM
Coal Mining Director

I'd put the factory LS3 on it.
Old 06-02-2012, 05:46 PM
On The Tree

well I got an update, after a long and hard decision I ended up ordering the vic jr so I could spin the motor up pretty good and in talking with many people about this, they have talked me into getting a cam that will rev to 7500 to take advantage of the pt88 ill be throwing into the mix. Hope the engine is getting close to be getting done im anxious as hell! the only thing im worried about is clearing an elbow under the hood and no i DONT want the ultra low profile elbow that looks like its way to restrictive so hopefully the taller one will fit. As soon as this engine gets put in ill post up some pics.

Quick Reply: which intake for my boosted application?