Forced Induction Superchargers | Turbochargers | Intercoolers
View Poll Results: Is e85 worth it...closest station 17.4 miles away!
Run e85 eventhough closest gas station is 17.4 miles away
69.70%
Don't run e85, just go with 91oct and meth/alky inj.
30.30%
Voters: 33. You may not vote on this poll

E85 poll...should i or should i not? Closest station 17.4 miles.

Search this Thread

Old 06-13-2012, 10:44 PM
TECH Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I hear you guys...i think i'm gonna do it. Here's how i see it...there's a e85 station on my way to work. It's 17.4 miles away, but right off of the freeway. Once at work, the San Vacente station is about 7 miles away (i work in West Hollywood). Then i figure, if i want to go to the track i'll have 2 or 3 five gallon cans to get me there and back. This is not my daily driver but i'm sure once it's done i'll be hooked to driving it like someone hooked on crack...lol!

Fuel system is easy...just need to get my magnafuel protuner 525 pump upgraded to the 750 (less than $150). As far as fuel lines, instead of going complete braided hose like on my last build, i'll go braided from the fuel cell to the pump and go steel hard line with an fittings from the pump to the front of the car, then braided from there to the fuel rails and regulator. Same thing will be done for the return. The *** kicker is gonna be the $1000+ injectors...lol! The good thing is i probably won't ever need to buy injectors again.

Depending on how much hp tuners cost, it may be worth getting two perfect tunes...one for e85 and one for 91octane. All i would use hptuners for is to reflash the pcm whenever i feel like running either fuel. Are there still any dual flash pcm's out there??? I think i remember seeing them around a few years ago. That may be another option!

IT_SS, i think there's e85 stations in Torrance and Harbor City too!

Thanks for helping me decide which way to go fellas. I'm hoping that e85 will continue to get more popular and they'll start selling this stuff everywhere. It would be sweet if i had a station within 5 miles from the house!

Thanks,
Dee
Old 06-13-2012, 10:56 PM
10 Second Club

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Frost on here has the dual flast pcm iirc
Old 06-13-2012, 11:06 PM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by Atomic
Unless you plan on 20+ psi of boost, you will be fine with 93 and meth.
That's kinda why i was thinking about 91octane and meth (93oct not available in Cali). Guys, my goal is 1000rwhp or very close to it...no more! 20psi is my max...no more. My combo can only take so much. The weak link in my combo is the stock crank and the 4 bolt heads. Everything else is bulletproof for my power goals. Here's the set-up, Comp 80mm Billet Ceramic ball-bearing oil-less turbo, lq9 364ci 9:1compression, tfs 235's, fast lsxRT truck intake, Virginia speed vtc-3 cam, wiseco forged and coated pistons, Trend performance hardened and coated wristpins, Oliver billet rods with coated rod bearings and arp L19 rod bolts, dowelled main caps with arp main studs, coated cam bearings, morel link-bar lifters, C5R chain...etc.

I guess my question is, given the parts i have for my build, can 1000rwhp or close to it be achieved with 91 octane and meth with a max of 20psi? Or will i need e85 for my goals? I'd love to do e85, but if my goals can be met with pump gas and meth that'll be the best route IMO.

Thanks,
Dee
Old 06-13-2012, 11:30 PM
9 Second Club

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

If it were me and I had that distance to cover for a fill up I'd do it, but would invest in a 55gal drum. I have two 5 gals of e85 at the house, but I'm within a mile of the e85 station
Old 06-13-2012, 11:31 PM
Banned

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

My friends father has a hot rod, some kind of old TBucket with a big *** blower on it. He uses race gas. They sell it all over around here because of all the airboats we have and they use aircraft engines. But there's one station that sells 103 octane.....a little far from his house. Like 15 miles.

He went out and bought a 300 gallon tank on a trailer. He pulls it to the gas station every couple months with his pick-up truck when he needs gas and parks it in the back yard. He has an electric pump and fills his Tbucket up whenever he wants to.....easy......

Or get a couple 55 gallon drums and take them there to fill them up. You can find them almost free. $20 each on ebay for steel ones.

Old 06-14-2012, 06:05 AM
TECH Addict

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

Im only 5 miles from the E85 station, I have a plastic 55 gallon drum with a pump on it I keep also.
Old 06-14-2012, 06:18 AM
9 Second Club

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

You guys realize you can order E85 and E98 in 55 gallon drums from most fuel suppliers? VP sells a cheap little hand pump that works really well for pumping into gas cans. Like already mentioned you can always tune to run which ever fuel you have available. Throw E85 in the car and run it hard when you want. Want to cruise across the country? Throw your pump gas tune in and go. Some guys make it sound like once you run E85 it's the only fuel you can run from now on lol.
Old 06-14-2012, 06:44 AM
On The Tree

i,m just about to do the swap soon have a station about 10km,s away that sells genuine e85 its on my way to work which i only drive to on sundays!!!can use the caltex e flex if desperate and take it easy!! doing the 200 litre drum for the tune with new turbo ,heads ,manifold ,intercooler etc will just use some 20litre gerry cans at home when needed!!!sick of paying $250 for 20litres of c16 when i do run at the drags!!!!anyway bring it on cheers
Old 06-14-2012, 01:16 PM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by Nitroused383
You guys realize you can order E85 and E98 in 55 gallon drums from most fuel suppliers? VP sells a cheap little hand pump that works really well for pumping into gas cans. Like already mentioned you can always tune to run which ever fuel you have available. Throw E85 in the car and run it hard when you want. Want to cruise across the country? Throw your pump gas tune in and go. Some guys make it sound like once you run E85 it's the only fuel you can run from now on lol.
Can the 55gal drums be ordered and delivered to your house with e85 fuel already in it? EDIT: just looked at vp's website, a 54 gal drum of e85 costs $543...that's just over $10 a gal plus shipping!!! It's much cheaper to buy your own 55 gal drum and fill it yourself at the pump. Cheapest i've seen for e85 in my area is $3.50 a gallon. $3.50x55gallons= $192.50!!!

Last edited by deeloc1; 06-14-2012 at 01:24 PM.
Old 06-14-2012, 01:47 PM
TECH Fanatic

You live in Cali just like me. I was tossing the idea in the air also, but I'd go 91 and Meth, it only comes on when you need it as mentioned. Lets be honest here in California we have a lot of wanna be fast civics and even camaros on 24 lol, I'd hate to run out of fuel when having fun. Only gas stations are here in California

Old 06-14-2012, 02:08 PM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by alexcoreas
You live in Cali just like me. I was tossing the idea in the air also, but I'd go 91 and Meth, it only comes on when you need it as mentioned. Lets be honest here in California we have a lot of wanna be fast civics and even camaros on 24 lol, I'd hate to run out of fuel when having fun. Only gas stations are here in California

That's true...i'm kinda banned from being able to take a road trip unless i do research for e85 stations near where i'm going. Huge pain in the ***...lol! But then again, like i said earlier...I'll drive this car to work occasionally and take it to Irwindale or Fontana occasionally. This is not my daily driver...and true, we have a bunch of slow *** civics and slow *** camaros...lol! Although, there is a few low 9 sec street cars out here too! That E85 list is outdated...I have confirmed that there is one in Fullerton, Pomona, Perris! Fullerton is actually the closest and cheapest to my house! Here's the link http://e85.drivealternatives.com/CA/Corona

Honestly, i'm still on the fence about e85. All positives point towards e85, but the refilling of a drum when i don't have a pickup truck, limited e85 stations etc is hard to swallow.

With pump gas and meth you can fill up everywhere and have better gas mileage...but you'll be down 100+hp on full boost compared to e85. I think with pump gas and meth I'll be able to hit atleast 900+rwhp with my 80mm turbo, TFS 235's, FAST lsxRT truck intake and vtc3 cam @20psi. IMO, that's plenty for a mostly street driven car! Hell, guys are making 800rwhp with 317 heads and ls6 intakes. The TFS 235's and Fast LsxRT intake gotta be worth atleast a additional 100rwhp with boost...lol!

Last edited by deeloc1; 06-14-2012 at 02:18 PM.
Old 06-14-2012, 02:24 PM
TECH Fanatic

You have a good point, I live 9 miles away from the San Vicente station. I know a few of the 9sec import cars, not bashing them, more like the sticker bolt on kind. Think it through only you will know if its worth it, we don't really know where you drive on a daily basis. I hate that we don't have more e85 pumps I'd definitely go e85 and I only drive my car 3 miles to work and a total of 25 miles a day if that. Dammit it might just be worth it, look what you guys have done
Old 06-14-2012, 02:25 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Im seriously considering just running e85 in my car and no intercooler. No a2a or a2w.
Only gonna be around >15psi. Not a dd, with the occassional nice weekend as a driver.
Old 06-14-2012, 02:32 PM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by alexcoreas
You have a good point, I live 9 miles away from the San Vicente station. I know a few of the 9sec import cars, not bashing them, more like the sticker bolt on kind. Think it through only you will know if its worth it, we don't really know where you drive on a daily basis. I hate that we don't have more e85 pumps I'd definitely go e85 and I only drive my car 3 miles to work and a total of 25 miles a day if that. Dammit it might just be worth it, look what you guys have done
Lol! See what i'm saying?! Work is 56 miles away from home. There is a e85 station in Fullerton that is 17.4 miles from my house, enroute to work. Once at work in West Hollywood, the San Vacente station is about 7 miles away. If i want to drive from home to Irwindale Speedway or California Speedway in Fontana, there's a E85 station in Pomona. Then you figure, guys are getting around 12 miles to the gallon on e85. I have a 16 gal fuel cell so i'll be able to drive 192miles before empty if i don't get into any roll races on the freeway...lol! This is why the decision is so hard!
Old 06-14-2012, 03:44 PM
9 Second Club

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

My local fuel supplier sells 55 gallon barrels of methanol, e98 or e85 for right around $200. It's not VP fuel, of course VP is going to rape you and no they do not deliver to your house you need to go pick it up. But it's guarenteed to be E85 and not winter blend **** E75 or whatever it is.
Old 06-14-2012, 10:12 PM
11 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Do it! Get HP tuners and have 2 tunes like I said before. That will give you the best of both worlds. You can run both fuels, safely and still get "Race gas performance" with the E-85. I don't think our quality of E-85 is as bad during the winter since it doesn't get nearly as cold. Also...it smells awesome! lol Do the conversion, get a 55gal drum setup and slowly start filling it...every time you get gas fill up a 5gal container and use that to transfer fuel. I run 18psi on 91+meth right now and I'm limited....I'm in the middle of switching over now.
Old 06-14-2012, 11:00 PM
Teching In

The biggest concern to me would be the cost of the fuel system and potentially the setup to get both a pump gas/meth tune as well as a E85 tune. If the fuel system cost doesn't make you balk, then really there's no reason not too. Just use E85 when you want and pump/meth when you want and switch tunes accordingly. At worst you've over spent on a fuel system and tune and at best you get to enjoy the extra power E85 provides when it's available and you can keep everything as is now when you can't get to an E85 pump.
Old 06-14-2012, 11:02 PM
TECH Resident

I plan on making the switch to e85 before the next time i have to do emissions. I say go for it. Theres lots of people pleased with the results and in my eyes it outweighs a drive to fill up.

I just bought a house and luckily theres 2 e85 stations within minutes from me gonna make my transition easy once im ready.
Old 06-15-2012, 03:55 AM
10 Second Club

Instead of spending extra money on meth setup and a pump gas tune, just spend that money on a bigger fuel cell setup for e85! My ltd has a 39 gallon tank and rx7 had a 27 gallon tank so could drive long distances! Also can carry 4 gas cans easily in the trunk of the ltd so would have a 1000+ mile range.
Old 06-15-2012, 05:04 AM
TECH Senior Member

Just remember to make sure your fuel filters are E85 compatible. I run an aeromotive eliminator with a pre and post aeromotive filter and the 100 micron paper filter is not E85 compatible so you have to use the stainless in both.

I might do an E85 tune along with my 93+meth so I can run a 26lb tune on E85 and stick with 20 on 93+meth. How far will 80lb injectors get you with E85?

Quick Reply: E85 poll...should i or should i not? Closest station 17.4 miles.