Forced Induction Superchargers | Turbochargers | Intercoolers

Master power T3/T4 super 60 twin 6.0 lq4 ??

Search this Thread

Old 06-13-2012, 03:01 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Master power T3/T4 super 60 twin 6.0 lq4 ??

I've been doing alot of reading and more reading, the examples seem to be pretty endless.

2000 WS6 6 speed
Will put in a stock Lq4 with LS1 intake - staying stock for now
goal is 600-650 hp no higher than redline which I think is 6250. I'd hope to come close to this at least with no more than 10psi. I won't be upset if it's at least 550HP+ tho in reality.

I want to run twins so i'm thinking after all the looking these would fit that bill?? Will be intercooled of course.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Master-Power...sories&vxp=mtr

I know we all have lofty goals of 1000HP motors but I truely will stick to 650 max I think. Not racing per say. Is this a good choice?

Hope I covered all the requirements to answer this question.

thanks.
Old 06-13-2012, 03:29 PM
Launching!

i went with MP in the past BUT now there are better options out there. you can go with "entry level turbos" from precision turbo. just google them look for the 6076E, you can upgrade them later too.
a big plus is that they are cheaper then the MP units your looking at and make more hp

Last edited by abbaskhan; 06-13-2012 at 03:38 PM.
Old 06-13-2012, 05:55 PM
Staging Lane

Isn't that too big for twins? I tried to google that turbo, not seeing great reviews so far?
Old 06-13-2012, 06:41 PM
Launching!

I havent seen anything bad on them...and its a real reputable company..as for sizing they have options for exhaust housings so the answer is no not to big.....if i were to pick a Budget turbo for the price this would be my choice ...if u wanna pay more for less i wont argue

http://www.precisionturbo.net/turboc...rbochargers/18
Old 06-14-2012, 07:47 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

go with the master powers. they are a VERY good turbo and the size you chose is perfect.

i have twin master power 61s on my bone stock 6.0(well, i added nice valve springs because i had them) and on 11lbs the car flies. it is silly fast, and it builds boost extremely quickly.
Old 06-14-2012, 11:38 AM
Staging Lane

These??

What car do you have that in? How is the driveability, one thing i don't want to mess up is the street ability of the car as my wife will also drive it alot to work. So looking to avoid a sudden break the wheels boost and looking more for a smooth predictable acceleration. I know when a good turbo kicks in you feel it and at 600+ HP it should put you in the seat but it should be a predictable and very controllable thing (after you get used to it LOL) Having a touchy/jumpy car gets old really quick as like I said not doing a drag car. I'm probably putting in a S60 rear soon tho first. The turbo "size" i picked I thought would meet my goals (not hung up on brand name) so sounding good so far Thanks, this will be a fun build if I can get it going soon. Researching intercoolers next LOL
Old 06-14-2012, 03:17 PM
Launching!

If your hung up on MP turbos by all means go for it. There are some things u should know before you spend a 100 bucks more in order to get "Budget" turbos!

1.MP is not in the USA so good luck with customer service
2. No availble upgrades
3. Not easy to get replacment parts

IMHO and experience (building turbo cars since 1991) things always go wrong in a new build... it can be the smallest thing better to eliminate any future problems when u can.

I understand everyone on the internet is a expert and swears they know but nothing beats experiance How u get it is up to u... im just tryin to help you out......

BTW i have 2 MP T70 t4 .68 BNIB exhaust housings heat coated for a good price (i went with a single comp turbo instead) pm me if ur intrested.
Old 06-14-2012, 04:06 PM
Staging Lane

I'm not stuck on a brand, the size is what I was interested in regarding how it performed and behaved. I'd spend $200 more if it was made in the US. In today's world tho i would be shocked if even precision turbos (especially entry level) were not made in china. There's alot of internet knowledge out there lol, why I'm asking questions and doing my own research. In the end I'll decide based on many things. I thank anyone for there input and am not disregarding any recommendations as I don't want to do this twice to get what I want. I want power and driveability not big peak numbers or this spools like crazy. I rode in a twin turbo lambo the other day, car was really something but honestly as a driver i was not impressed. It was very touchy and only wanted to wake up above 6 grand. That 170MPH ride was cool i'll admit but i'm far from 20 or even 30 yrs old anymore. I know what I want can be done, seen plenty so I'm very open to suggestions and still researching this thing. thanks for your help, would love to hear answers to what I'm looking for not just big numbers.
Old 06-14-2012, 11:17 PM
TECH Regular

If you are sticking with the 6speed go with something between 5858's to 6262's T3 V-band exhaust housings, compact and upgradeable to 6767's without changing plumbing. $750 ea to door is what I paid for my 62's. street car will be happier smaller. Oh yes precisions are NOT made in the USA but Indiana is much closer to throw a **** turbo through a window than Brazil.
Old 06-15-2012, 11:38 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by abbaskhan
If your hung up on MP turbos by all means go for it. There are some things u should know before you spend a 100 bucks more in order to get "Budget" turbos!

1.MP is not in the USA so good luck with customer service
2. No availble upgrades
3. Not easy to get replacment parts

IMHO and experience (building turbo cars since 1991) things always go wrong in a new build... it can be the smallest thing better to eliminate any future problems when u can.

I understand everyone on the internet is a expert and swears they know but nothing beats experiance How u get it is up to u... im just tryin to help you out......

BTW i have 2 MP T70 t4 .68 BNIB exhaust housings heat coated for a good price (i went with a single comp turbo instead) pm me if ur intrested.
im not married to mp, but they make a good affordable turbo,with a low failure rate, and i would rather have a made in brazil turbo than a made in china one.

wicked69 just went through a situation with precision and after seeing how they handled his issue, i personally would never buy from them

https://ls1tech.com/forums/forced-in...-now-what.html

$500 to fix, you could almost buy a new turbo for that.
Old 06-15-2012, 11:43 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by black87c4

These??

What car do you have that in? How is the driveability, one thing i don't want to mess up is the street ability of the car as my wife will also drive it alot to work. So looking to avoid a sudden break the wheels boost and looking more for a smooth predictable acceleration. I know when a good turbo kicks in you feel it and at 600+ HP it should put you in the seat but it should be a predictable and very controllable thing (after you get used to it LOL) Having a touchy/jumpy car gets old really quick as like I said not doing a drag car. I'm probably putting in a S60 rear soon tho first. The turbo "size" i picked I thought would meet my goals (not hung up on brand name) so sounding good so far Thanks, this will be a fun build if I can get it going soon. Researching intercoolers next LOL
they are in my nova. drivability is good. as long as your wife doesnt slam it WOT haphazardly she will be fine. if she floors it in first gear, the car WILL get away from her.

you definitely dont want to go too big on the turbo then its making no power down low and when you get on it, it struggles for 3 seconds before its starts making steam.
Old 06-15-2012, 12:45 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by 71 chevy
im not married to mp, but they make a good affordable turbo,with a low failure rate, and i would rather have a made in brazil turbo than a made in china one.

wicked69 just went through a situation with precision and after seeing how they handled his issue, i personally would never buy from them

https://ls1tech.com/forums/forced-in...-now-what.html

$500 to fix, you could almost buy a new turbo for that.
No turbo company has a 100% reliable product thats a fact. I can find failures on all kinds all day long some are due to defects some are to to install errors. Any turbo no matter hows bad or good it is costs $ to fix...thats part of the game. IMHO percision has a better Record than MP, your case might be different. I dont wanna turn it into a this vs that thing....just to prove my point ill post some links to MP turbo issues.

http://www.google.com/url?sa=t&sourc...utj26Dk-YC-qmQ

http://www.theturboforums.com/smf/tu...ival-poll/105/

Last edited by abbaskhan; 06-15-2012 at 02:13 PM.
Old 06-15-2012, 04:04 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by black87c4
I've been doing alot of reading and more reading, the examples seem to be pretty endless.

2000 WS6 6 speed
Will put in a stock Lq4 with LS1 intake - staying stock for now
goal is 600-650 hp no higher than redline which I think is 6250. I'd hope to come close to this at least with no more than 10psi. I won't be upset if it's at least 550HP+ tho in reality.

I want to run twins so i'm thinking after all the looking these would fit that bill?? Will be intercooled of course.

I know we all have lofty goals of 1000HP motors but I truely will stick to 650 max I think. Not racing per say. Is this a good choice?

Hope I covered all the requirements to answer this question.

thanks.

also, if you are doing a stockish low budget build, ive got a buddy here in town with twin china t3/t4s on his 5.3 . i think they were $180 each, and he has had them on for over a year and no problems yet. not too many driven miles but theyve performed well so far.
Old 06-15-2012, 07:43 PM
Staging Lane

Well, I have a budget of course but not looking for a low budget if u get what I mean. A cheapo china unit is not on my radar. Thanks for the info
Old 06-16-2012, 07:28 AM
TECH Fanatic

OP MP turbos are represented by Modular Turbo on here, they were very helpful to me when I was doing my turbo build, so I wouldnt worry about them. Have you looked at the Magnums? And if you want a good size look at something around twin 67s. I remember Parish on here was one of the first people to turbo a 6.0 GTO with twin 67s. Made 670/670 at right around 12 psi IIRC.
Old 06-16-2012, 12:37 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by abbaskhan
No turbo company has a 100% reliable product thats a fact. I can find failures on all kinds all day long some are due to defects some are to to install errors. Any turbo no matter hows bad or good it is costs $ to fix...thats part of the game. IMHO percision has a better Record than MP, your case might be different. I dont wanna turn it into a this vs that thing....just to prove my point ill post some links to MP turbo issues.

http://www.google.com/url?sa=t&sourc...utj26Dk-YC-qmQ

http://www.theturboforums.com/smf/tu...ival-poll/105/

master power is not the only game in town. they are an affordable, quite reliable turbo, and Ive been happy with the 4 ive owned.

that said, precision is the last company i would ever buy a turbo from. a precision turbo failure is what caused TIM LYNCH's car to burn down - enough said right there
Old 06-16-2012, 02:40 PM
Launching!

master power is not the only game in town. they are an affordable, quite reliable turbo, and Ive been happy with the 4 ive owned.

that said, precision is the last company i would ever buy a turbo from. a precision turbo failure is what caused TIM LYNCH's car to burn down - enough said right there
So Lemme get this straight. A RACE CAR caught on fire because of a part failure!!!! I Feel for him..Hate to say it but it happened all the time. Thats racing. Should he ask for money from the people who make his fire supression system because it obviously didnt work. or if his block cracked and leaked oil and then caught on fire should he ask for them to step up??
Racin is a different world...parts break all the time. Fact is he ran what he ran on precision turbos if he finds something (with sponsorship) thats better im sure he will run it.

BTW why wasnt he running MP turbos in his race car?
Old 06-16-2012, 03:40 PM
TECH Fanatic

yes parts fail all the time - precision seem to have the highest documented rate of failures; for every 1 failure from any other manufacturer, i see 10 from precision

2+2 = not ever buying precision turbos

matter of fact there is a discussion going on about their failure right now

http://www.yellowbullet.com/forum/sh...d.php?t=481264
Old 06-16-2012, 05:50 PM
Launching!

yes parts fail all the time - precision seem to have the highest documented rate of failures; for every 1 failure from any other manufacturer, i see 10 from precision

2+2 = not ever buying precision turbos

matter of fact there is a discussion going on about their failure right now

http://www.yellowbullet.com/forum/sh...d.php?t=481264
I saw that ...i think the truth lies somewhere inbetween. What you have is guys pushing a product as far and as fast as it can go. If they are exceeding design capacity then all bets are off. If the parts fail because of a defect then pte needs to step up. IMHO pte is, in a attempt to ramp faster, thinning down the shafts thats a compromise. I dont think the standard turbos have that problem nor do they get pushed as hard. I think its the new high end stuff. Just like the delay in the efr stuff from what ive heard. I think running the turbo not stressed is the key to longevity. Again for the limited $$ and with a limited amount of space the options are, well, limited.

Quick Reply: Master power T3/T4 super 60 twin 6.0 lq4 ??