Forced Induction Superchargers | Turbochargers | Intercoolers

Should i sell my tt t/a?

Search this Thread

Old 06-16-2012, 11:35 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Should i sell my tt t/a?

So, long story short, i dove into this twin turbo project with high hopes and aspirations. I am in the Army and some how lucked up with a house with a garage. I was expecting to be here until the end of 2013 but suddenly came up on orders to deploy in september. My family has to leave now too so i have to move them all out now. The car has given me some problems, i wont lie. But for the most part, I was never too concerned as i knew i would get it right with a weekend of work. I finally got the car down to baton rouge (drove the whole way 200+ miles one way with no issues besides me having to pass on every sports car on I-10). The car needs a new tranny after the stage 2 t-56 broke on me after a test run. My wife has hit the end of her patience with me and this car and i just don't need to spend more time or money on it when i get back to the states. I'm not trying to see how much my car is worth, i know there is a thread for that. But I guess I'm trying to see if it would be worth me selling this car off or just keeping it and finishing the build. Car sits with the following

Built forged 408 iron block compstar rods callies crank wiseco -20~9.3:1 CR
block has been set up for 6 bolt per cylinder heads but has gm 317 heads
twin master power T70 t4 68 mm exh
custom futral grind cam
treadstone FMIC twin 2.5" in 3" out
twin tial 44 gates
50mm jgs bov
twin walbro 255 w/ hotwire kit
fic 96lb injectors
lunati .660" valvespring kit
yella terra shaft dual mounted rockers
victor jr intake w/ rails and aarons elbow
devils own meth kit
fast 92 tb
e boost street
bmr 1" lower springs
slp shocks
bmr torque arm
welded sub frames connectors

set up has just around 1k miles on it, car has unknown miles I have only put in 16k since mid 2009 when i bought it. Has never been to the track since i had it. previous set-up was a stout n/a set-up with ls1 making 465rwhp, but this turbo set up made 642 rwhp with a few issues on the dyno that will be discussed below.

These are the issues i currently have to deal with and this car to make it a nice, dd 800+ hp car:

*transmission just died on me and needs a stg 3 build

*rear end has no problems but needs to be a 9"

*i stupidly ran feed from my intake to an open breather pcv catch can, so i know that greatly contributed to my low dyno numbers and can easily be fixed with a "tee" and a few minutes

*hotside needs to be redone, backyard welding has it's consequences. truck manifolds are leaking on the p/s and is another contributor to the lack of power output

I must say, I was not setting out to build a show car so it doesn't look nearly as clean as some of the more tedious guys. I simply wanted a fast *** sexy looking trans am. The one pull i got on the highway resulted in a nice speeding ticket, but when she hit boost i felt every piece of hp. Obviously the car has some work that's needed to be done, but i'm not going to be dumb and sell it for too cheap where a built tranny and rear and a couple of weekends can have this car making close to 1000hp reliably. definitely if i had 6 bolt per cylinder heads. So i need to make up my mind soon, I only have a month and a half before i have to move. What do you guys think? maybe i should post it up to gauge interest as well.
Old 06-17-2012, 01:52 AM
TECH Enthusiast

I think at the end of the day you need to have a hobby, something that puts a smile on your face. It doesn't really cost anything to have it sit and it'll be there for you when you're ready to work on it again. I think everyone here knows they aren't getting anything close to what they paid for their setup, so unless you're personally disgusted with it, and have been for a long while, I'd let it sit and work on it when time, money, and family allows.
Old 06-17-2012, 01:58 AM
TECH Enthusiast

yes, i agree. i just have to take another 900 mile trip to pick the car up and store it on the east coast. i also forgot to mention the car has turbo k member as well. the more i think about it, there's no way i can live with myself if i sell the car being this close to finishing it. the only way i'd sell it would be if someone offered a price i couldn't refuse.
Old 06-17-2012, 05:33 AM
UNDER PRESSURE MOD

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts

I say keep it and finish it, unless someone where to offer you upwards of $15k for it.
Old 06-17-2012, 06:00 AM
12 Second Club

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Drop it off at my house and I'll have it running 4.0 when you return.
Old 06-17-2012, 07:58 AM
Captain Double Post

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

The market blows to sell a car like that, as someone said if ya ever did get an offer around 15 take it and dont look back if you wanna sell it that bad, but at the same time to even get something decent out of it, its gotta run and drive, my experience is cars that dont run dont do to well on the sale lol
Old 06-17-2012, 08:06 AM
TECH Enthusiast

lol yeah, i've put about $35k into it, and i haven't even been asleep yet lol. something does tell me to finish what i started. trust me, it's not the issues i'm running into thats fueling the sale. i was well aware that there would be a lot of little issues that would come up throughout the build of a stroker twin turbo build by a newb who has never done an oil change before this.
Old 06-17-2012, 08:39 AM
TECH Fanatic

Yep you need to keep it. As already posted you can see people don't have money for this hobby but are still here trying to play the game. Which means everyone will says its worth 10% of what you have in it. Mostly because that's all they could come up with. On a good day.
Old 06-17-2012, 08:39 AM
TECH Fanatic

Keep ir man.
Later on you will regret it.
Old 06-17-2012, 11:12 AM
TECH Enthusiast

unless it is costing you money to store the car somewhere. i would keep it and like these guys say just let it sit till you find the time and passion to work on it again.
Old 06-17-2012, 11:14 AM
TECH Addict

hail no

yeah my ex gf, and god and everyone complains about the car, but they all come and go, and at the end of the day itll always put a smile on your face.

It'll really **** her off when she finds out its not worth near whats in it though. Also, after the car is gone, honestly, she is just going to find something else to be aggravated about if we are being serious here. sox are inside out, toilet seats up...being in the army your never home etc....
Old 06-17-2012, 11:40 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 74 Likes on 40 Posts

^ i wish there was a like button.

but yeah you need to keep it. if she is really upset with the car, then put it in storage for awhile and let her calm down and slowly bring it back into the picture. even if it doesnt get straightened out now, it will eventually. and like someone already said, everyone needs a hobby
Old 06-17-2012, 02:52 PM
9 Second Club

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Keep at it man, if you have to shelve it for a little bit so be it, but don't give it up. I put about 12 months into my build and my GF was about to give up on our relationship and trying to justify quality time with my son while working in the garage isn't easy to do for most of the summer. Not only that, but I travel most weeks mon-thur so trying to manage time was not easy so I understand what most guys have to do to finish a project like this. Balance it out though and she should be happy. Once it's done then life will be easier.
Old 06-17-2012, 06:17 PM
TECH Addict

with FI you are never done, you just have grace periods.
Old 06-17-2012, 06:27 PM
TECH Enthusiast

It's as simple as this, if you want to sell it you will lose $20 grand in it. I highly suggest you keep it.
Old 06-17-2012, 06:59 PM
Captain Double Post

My girl hates,hates,hates my car, but the car will put a smile on my face 7 days a week as long as the weathers nice, the girl she will put a smile on my face about once a week lol and sometimes i dont even get that lmfao
Old 09-14-2012, 02:29 AM
TECH Enthusiast

lol, you guys are right. I can't get rid of my baby (car) because my baby (wife) is having a mood swing. I have decided, after talking to my wife (not really a debate anymore), i'm going to keep the car. I am going to redo the entire turbo kit so that it looks and performs better. And i'm going to dump another $15k to get the drivertrain built for 1000 hp as well. I told her it'll cost a lot (didn't tell her how much) but she'll be able to keep all of the income taxes next year and another 3k from the military payment i'm expecting when i get back to the states. She went for it so life is good. Now i am over here rocking back and forth with anxiety for when i get back to finish the build. of course after catching up with the wife and baby. Thanks for all the support you guys. I would have been a mean grumpy drunk without my car. And i don't even drink.
Old 09-14-2012, 03:22 AM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by LT1TA
lol, you guys are right. I can't get rid of my baby (car) because my baby (wife) is having a mood swing. I have decided, after talking to my wife (not really a debate anymore), i'm going to keep the car. I am going to redo the entire turbo kit so that it looks and performs better. And i'm going to dump another $15k to get the drivertrain built for 1000 hp as well. I told her it'll cost a lot (didn't tell her how much) but she'll be able to keep all of the income taxes next year and another 3k from the military payment i'm expecting when i get back to the states. She went for it so life is good. Now i am over here rocking back and forth with anxiety for when i get back to finish the build. of course after catching up with the wife and baby. Thanks for all the support you guys. I would have been a mean grumpy drunk without my car. And i don't even drink.
My wife used to nag constantly about my car(s) lol, but i bought her an 08 TBSS so now she somewhat understands the reasoning. And i work for every penny invested into my car, not her, so ultimatley at the end of the day its my decision!! And the others are right, hell when i was in the Military (army) she bitched about me being gone on deployments. The bitching will never end hahahaha!
Old 09-14-2012, 11:07 AM
Banned

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by LT1TA
Glad to see you're keeping it.

I don't know about $15K for the drivetrain though. Maybe $8K, depending on what route you go. You can get a brand new T56 Magnum for $2800. Fab 9 with torque arm for $2500. You can go with a McLeod RXT ($1100 with flywheel) or one of the new Monster twin disk clutches. And say another $400 on a driveshaft. You'd be set to make 1000whp with this.

This is just going off experience from my build. I pieced together and had a friend build the center section on the rear end, so I saved on that.
Old 09-14-2012, 11:28 AM
12 Second Club

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Glad you are going to keep it. You will be glad.

Quick Reply: Should i sell my tt t/a?