Forced Induction Superchargers | Turbochargers | Intercoolers

Engine sits high after BMR turbo k-member Install

Search this Thread

Old 08-08-2012, 05:56 PM
10 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

so what did u find out?

On the 6061 website it has this as its pic and it fits nice.

Old 08-08-2012, 07:44 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

my edelbrock looks aot shorter thna that 6061, u need a measure that thing
Old 08-08-2012, 07:45 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Location: Home town Clive,IA current town FORT BENNING GEORGIA

mine sits high like yours but that is because of running L92 heads my edelbrock intake is like 2" taller.......
Old 08-09-2012, 07:36 AM
TECH Fanatic

prolly a stupid question....but the trans is in correct??? if not the motor is prolly rocked back a bit?

I had my bmr turbo k-member in and mocked up and a vic jr., 6061 elbow AND a nitrous plate fit! it rubbed the black shroud on the cowl a very little bit but it did all fit...maybe bmr's jig was off a bit or the guy building them might have cut the motor mount support tubes a little long.
Old 08-09-2012, 08:42 AM
LS1Tech Premium Sponsor

Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts

Hey guys our k-members should locate the motor very, very close to stock engine position. Our jigs are set up to locate everything precisely time after time so there shouldn't be any tolerance differences from one BMR k-member to another. When you are running a bunch of different products many times you can run into the compounding tolerances which I think is what is happening in the OP's case.

Find a Quality alignment shop near you!
Old 08-09-2012, 09:16 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by BMR Sales2
Hey guys our k-members should locate the motor very, very close to stock engine position. Our jigs are set up to locate everything precisely time after time so there shouldn't be any tolerance differences from one BMR k-member to another. When you are running a bunch of different products many times you can run into the compounding tolerances which I think is what is happening in the OP's case.
Stock LS1 motor, LS6 heads, stock mounts with urethane inserts. Trans is mounted. I think the picture from the elbow maker's website is probably from a stock car with sagging old mounts. I'm going to space the k-member down and cut the cowl. I've been out of town and busy, so I haven't done it yet.
Old 08-09-2012, 10:40 AM
LS1Tech Premium Sponsor

Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by enginjoe
Stock LS1 motor, LS6 heads, stock mounts with urethane inserts. Trans is mounted. I think the picture from the elbow maker's website is probably from a stock car with sagging old mounts. I'm going to space the k-member down and cut the cowl. I've been out of town and busy, so I haven't done it yet.
Good deal. When you get back working on the car let us know how it all goes.

Find a Quality alignment shop near you!
Old 08-09-2012, 12:35 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Definitely. I'll post some pics when I'm done, so anyone else in this predicament will know what happened.
Old 08-15-2012, 04:32 PM
LS1Tech Premium Sponsor

Received 19 Likes on 15 Posts

Hey there, how much higher was it sitting? The poly inserts aren't going to "give" as much as the factory rubber will. So the engine will sit higher just by using those. And, if your mounts are worn down a little, the poly mounts will make this even more noticeable.

As Kyle said, our parts are made in jigs with extremely tight tolerances. This hasn't been a problem we've encountered very often, but when we have, it has been associated with "fresh" motor mounts. The difference is usually within an inch as well.
- Kevin
(813) 986-9302

Like us on Facebook!
Old 08-15-2012, 05:19 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by BMR Tech2
Hey there, how much higher was it sitting? The poly inserts aren't going to "give" as much as the factory rubber will. So the engine will sit higher just by using those. And, if your mounts are worn down a little, the poly mounts will make this even more noticeable.

As Kyle said, our parts are made in jigs with extremely tight tolerances. This hasn't been a problem we've encountered very often, but when we have, it has been associated with "fresh" motor mounts. The difference is usually within an inch as well.
- Kevin
Post #2 is where mine is, post #21 is where the manufacturer of the elbow advertised it to be. There is quite a big difference. I'm pretty convinced that it is the brand new poly mounts vs. some old worn down ones in the picture from the vendor's old website.

Old 08-30-2012, 08:55 PM
10 Second Club

so hey.. is there something im missing or does my motor look crooked on the BMR k-member? I tried to slide what little adjustment there is on the bolts but all bolted up and with my UMI solid motor mounts it looks crooked.

Old 08-31-2012, 12:58 AM
10 Second Club

well.. i put the stock shell with my poly mounts on and seemed to have straightend it out.. I guess it was the UMI solid mounts.

Old 08-31-2012, 08:54 AM
Banned

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by waterbug1999
well.. i put the stock shell with my poly mounts on and seemed to have straightend it out.. I guess it was the UMI solid mounts.
The UMI solid mounts do not work with the BMR turbo k-member, they position the motor sideways, had this issue and had to have some motor mounts custom fabbed. UMI solids only work with stock or UMI k-members I believe, which boggles my mind since they all should position the motor like stock, but who knows.

Also, to the OP, is the intake an LS3 or cathedral port? I know the LS3 versions are taller than the cathedral vic jr's, had this issue on mine as I was going to run a vic jr with a 6061 elbow as well.
Old 08-31-2012, 09:52 AM
TECH Enthusiast

It's an LS1 victor jr...

https://ls1tech.com/forums/parts-cla...fuel-rail.html
Old 08-31-2012, 10:58 AM
10 Second Club

Originally Posted by westtexasbuff
The UMI solid mounts do not work with the BMR turbo k-member, they position the motor sideways, had this issue and had to have some motor mounts custom fabbed. UMI solids only work with stock or UMI k-members I believe, which boggles my mind since they all should position the motor like stock, but who knows.

Also, to the OP, is the intake an LS3 or cathedral port? I know the LS3 versions are taller than the cathedral vic jr's, had this issue on mine as I was going to run a vic jr with a 6061 elbow as well.
ok... ill have to get ahold of UMI.
Old 09-02-2012, 10:07 AM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by BMR Tech2

- Kevin
this makes no sense, it's built on a jig, and is within an inch? really?! why would you not build everything around "fresh" mounts.. I design processes that hold tenths every time the job is ran.. I would only assume a part that is sold for 500 dollars would be built within 1/16th of an inch..

Quick Reply: Engine sits high after BMR turbo k-member Install