Forced Induction Superchargers | Turbochargers | Intercoolers

Precision Turbo THIEVES!

Search this Thread

Old 02-13-2014, 07:34 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Because I posted in here and just saw the thread, I figured I'd post up...

I had Alamo Turbochargers in Edmonton, Alberta go through my 6765 billets with the v band hot side, they were quite aware of why the turbos were passing oil so bad when they pulled them apart, the rings (much like piston rings) were sized wrong and had excessive gapping. Both turbos were rebuilt and never burnt a drop of oil since.
Old 02-13-2014, 09:24 AM
wrp
9 Second Club

Originally Posted by TDMKR496
Reed is a great dude and does quality work!
I think the key to this whole problem is to get the turbos in the right hands to get them set up right. Precision probably has a good design and reasonably quality products. They obviously lack the customer service and are probably stuck with the solution they have to sell. Reasonable tweaking by any of the quality vendors mentioned in the thread can probably make all the difference. I have to say I enjoyed talking to Reed and have a great deal of optimism based on the results I am seeing Works Turbo having with others. I would recommend any new Precision unit going straight to Reed before installing to save a lot of the issues described in this thread. I think some of us are concerned beyond the smoking, I for one have experienced an internal failure, twice with less than 100 miles on the unit. Whatever the reason, Work has a track record of straightening it out and their price point is very competitive.

Last edited by wrp; 02-13-2014 at 09:30 AM.
Old 02-13-2014, 09:48 AM
10 Second Club

Received 13 Likes on 8 Posts

Im having a Precision CEA 7675 installed on my car right now. This thread is making me nervous.
Old 02-13-2014, 10:15 AM
wrp
9 Second Club

Originally Posted by necrocannibal
Im having a Precision CEA 7675 installed on my car right now. This thread is making me nervous.
I would seriously contact Reed. For a very competitive price he can go through and straighten out any problems that might occur. His turnaround time is damned good too. Just my opinion. I would not run a precision turbo out of the box. They are not bad units, x% out of 10 shipped seems to need need tweaking. That is an opinion based on what I am seeing. The problem exacerbates when one breaks on a running motor. And, better yet, he is just a few hours down the road from you in Birmingham.
Old 02-13-2014, 10:58 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

These negative threads have made me think twice about running a Precision unit but I know soo many people that have always runned these units and have always been serviced good by Precision's customer service. Met a guy that was also running a PT-101 on his LSX441 and the turbo had a small compressor wheel issue but Presicion didn't bother fixing the used one and they gave him a brand new unit. This was a while back ago soo not sure if they have been lacking in customer serviced lately. Sucks to hear all this.
Old 02-13-2014, 11:23 AM
wrp
9 Second Club

Originally Posted by Blackpanther99
These negative threads have made me think twice about running a Precision unit but I know soo many people that have always runned these units and have always been serviced good by Precision's customer service. Met a guy that was also running a PT-101 on his LSX441 and the turbo had a small compressor wheel issue but Presicion didn't bother fixing the used one and they gave him a brand new unit. This was a while back ago soo not sure if they have been lacking in customer serviced lately. Sucks to hear all this.
I personally think they are good units and am not sure I would be so quick to throw them under the bus. That being said, I think it is prudent to have their units tweaked/checked before throwing the load on them. My understanding is that those that do that are having great success. Those units after all represent a significant investment and with all that sucking going on they are surely at the front of any problems.
Old 02-13-2014, 02:20 PM
TECH Fanatic

havent had any issues with my large frame turbo. but if i do i will be sending it into Reed for repair
Old 02-13-2014, 03:41 PM
TECH Fanatic

I had a precision 72mm that locked up the wheel against the cover probably 100 miles after install. Precision covered it then but it always pushed a little oil on the compressor side and I would end up with oil in my charge pipes. I had it rebuilt at majestic and that was an even bigger mess and it leaked oil like a siv. Sent it back to precision for another rebuild and promptly sold that bitch when I got it back. Their customer service sucks and had my buddy not been a dealer they wouldnt have taken care of it the first time.

I have moved on to a BW from Work and will never buy a precision turbo again.
Old 02-13-2014, 07:10 PM
SSZ
TECH Fanatic

The way i see it, unless it is your own fault, you should NEVER have to buy a new unit and send it to someone else for a checkover. THat to me is total bullshit.
I realize their units make good power but still. You pay top dollar for their stuff. Should not have to have it checked over by someone else.
Old 02-13-2014, 10:32 PM
wrp
9 Second Club

Originally Posted by SSZ
The way i see it, unless it is your own fault, you should NEVER have to buy a new unit and send it to someone else for a checkover. THat to me is total bullshit.
I realize their units make good power but still. You pay top dollar for their stuff. Should not have to have it checked over by someone else.
I don't disagree it is bullshit, I just don't have weeks and weeks to argue with them. For a few hundred bucks I am up and running with confidence. It's just insurance.
Old 02-14-2014, 04:35 AM
SSZ
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by wrp
I don't disagree it is bullshit, I just don't have weeks and weeks to argue with them. For a few hundred bucks I am up and running with confidence. It's just insurance.
I can understand that. I am just a small fish but i will stay away unless they turn their customer service around. And, there are lots more options for turbos nowadays. I guess its pick your poison and what are you willing to spend. Good luck with your stuff wrp.
Old 02-14-2014, 01:10 PM
wrp
9 Second Club

Originally Posted by SSZ
I can understand that. I am just a small fish but i will stay away unless they turn their customer service around. And, there are lots more options for turbos nowadays. I guess its pick your poison and what are you willing to spend. Good luck with your stuff wrp.
I'm not disagreeing with you at all. I got 2 grand tied up in the pieces of ****. Everyone I know has the same exact issue and I haven't seen one lately last more than 100 Miles. No hope in getting my money back, this seems the only viable option for me. They will have to turn it around before I would buy anything else from them.
Old 02-15-2014, 12:56 AM
TECH Regular

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I tend to just stay out of witch hunt threads like these, and I stop worrying. Some people have bad experiences, simple as that. Sucks to be them. They should quit crying, find their part in the situation, and try to get in the solution instead of just bitching. I bought a used 7675 with unknown miles, I work it like a borrowed mule everytime I drive the car, and have never had an issue.
Old 02-15-2014, 06:28 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by CameronVic
I tend to just stay out of witch hunt threads like these, and I stop worrying. Some people have bad experiences, simple as that. Sucks to be them. They should quit crying, find their part in the situation, and try to get in the solution instead of just bitching. I bought a used 7675 with unknown miles, I work it like a borrowed mule everytime I drive the car, and have never had an issue.
I don't think it's a witch hunt friend. People just voicing their opinions rather strongly on what they believe is a poor product. They have already addressed potential fixes. Ie. don't buy another, buy it & have someone fix your brand new turbo or buy an older model.
Old 03-06-2014, 09:38 PM
wrp
9 Second Club

Just an update on mine. Sent them in to have them checked out and rebuilt if necessary. One brand new unit, right out of the box with less than 15 minutes of runtime was completely hosed and the other was about one dyno pull from a complete failure. Would have preferred to have the money back but that not being an option we are moving forward to replace the entire bearing housings and bearing sets. Only thing left of Precision will be the housings and wheels. These will be pretty good Borg Warner Units when we get them back.
Old 03-06-2014, 10:36 PM
On The Tree

sad to hear people pay alotta money for junk!!!
Old 08-19-2014, 11:00 PM
wrp
9 Second Club

By way of update, my former Precision's, now Works Turbochargers are holding up well after about 1000 miles, nearly 10 times longer than they held up when they were Precisions new out of the box.

Last edited by wrp; 08-19-2014 at 11:05 PM.
Old 08-19-2014, 11:23 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Any problems with your precision turbo?
Old 08-20-2014, 03:08 AM
TECH Regular

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Old 08-22-2014, 07:11 AM
Launching!

Received 9 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by 1989k1500
Not the first time people have had problems with PT by any means.

Theres a ton of people they have fucked on yellowbullet.

http://www.yellowbullet.com/forum/sh...ight=precision

WTF.... I will never use their products again either.. I had a run in with them 15 years ago... Never again... They treated me like crap also... One thing in the car business, you have to take care of your customers. I dont know how they are now, but from the sound of it, they have not changed. It sucks, you spend big money and you have a melt down like this, to destroy the entire car... Wow, just wow!!!

On the flip side, I never had a problem with my turbonectics ball bearing turbos.

Quick Reply: Precision Turbo THIEVES!