Forced Induction Superchargers | Turbochargers | Intercoolers

RedRocket's 01 Z28 build - S480, Tick Cam, SBE LQ4, 4L80E, E85

Search this Thread

Old 04-02-2015, 07:03 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I haven't got the trans freshened up yet, but I have a anti-roll bar for it and some gears.
Old 04-03-2015, 07:13 AM
9 Second Club

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Yeah, that was one mistake I made with that car, changing to the 3.00 gear. This one has 3.42's so I am going to try them out and see how it does. I will probably hate it with the TH400 though. I like to drive my cars alot.

If for some reason you ever decide to sell anything (turbo, turbo kit, etc.) for whatever reason, let me know! HA.
Old 04-03-2015, 03:57 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by RedRocketZ28
Yeah, that was one mistake I made with that car, changing to the 3.00 gear. This one has 3.42's so I am going to try them out and see how it does. I will probably hate it with the TH400 though. I like to drive my cars alot.

If for some reason you ever decide to sell anything (turbo, turbo kit, etc.) for whatever reason, let me know! HA.
Sounds good.
Old 04-03-2015, 11:12 PM
FormerVendor

Received 15 Likes on 10 Posts

You got a smoking deal on that F-body with the parts you say it has on it!

Good luck on the new build sir, keep us in mind too!
Old 04-04-2015, 10:16 AM
8 Second Club

Received 18 Likes on 12 Posts

He had all those good parts in it and STILL doesn't even have a bar in it????? Lol

I had a tubbed 68 Camaro with a cage and a full back seat. No reason you can't have a cage in a family car. Even swing out bars are good to 8.50.

At least you don't have to change your screen name!
Old 04-06-2015, 08:16 AM
9 Second Club

Originally Posted by Martin@Tick
You got a smoking deal on that F-body with the parts you say it has on it!

Good luck on the new build sir, keep us in mind too!
Thanks, Martin. I will definitely keep you in mind again for the new build.

Originally Posted by Ratical
He had all those good parts in it and STILL doesn't even have a bar in it????? Lol

I had a tubbed 68 Camaro with a cage and a full back seat. No reason you can't have a cage in a family car. Even swing out bars are good to 8.50.

At least you don't have to change your screen name!
Yeah yeah, I know, haha. I will more than likely get one installed before it hits the streets. The goal is to have it complete in a year from now. I lack time, funds, and ambition to get it going this summer. Once I get started on some things I will probably document it again in another thread.
Old 09-14-2015, 07:57 AM
9 Second Club

So, I will go ahead and bump this thread back up. Two weeks ago I was close to traveling to Illinois to buy a completely stock Z28. I had a few drinks in me and messaged Slow94Forumla asking if he thought the current owner of my old car would sell it back. The next day I got a message from the owner saying he would consider selling it back to me. Well, it is now back in my garage as of last Thursday. I couldn't be more excited to have it back.

The previous owner, who posted in this thread (2002camaroSS), did some nice things to it while he had it. This spring, the stock 80E **** the bed and he had it rebuilt and upgraded by a place near Chicago. The converter was sent back to Circle-D and upgraded to a triple disc. Also added were subframe connectors, an anit-roll bar, and the rear gear was changed to a 3.50 from the 3.00 I had in it.

I put around 200 easy miles on the car this weekend as everything is pretty fresh still. Only saw about 8 lbs. of boost and nothing over 5,000 rpm. It certainly feels good to have boost back in my life. I plan on doing a few things to it in the upcoming weeks to get it ready for a track visit next month. I already bought a 2-step for it, it needs the Mickey's replaced and I'm trying to decide on what tires to go with, will be picking up some Viking shocks for the rear to replace the cheap Comp 3-ways as well. It has a pretty gnarly vibration around 70-75 mph that I need to get figured out too. We are going to check the pinion angle and make some adjustments there and I may even take the driveshaft out to have it checked. When I had the car previously it vibrated around the same speed but after messing with the pinion angle it seemed to tone down a bit.

Other than those few changes I don't plan on doing much else to it. The engine still seems to run strong and sounds good. I may try pushing it a little harder this fall at the track than I did in the past, so we will see if it holds together. This is a Gen III motor so it has the weaker pistons and rods in it. I have a set of Gen IV's in the garage that I may swap in over the winter but at the same time I don't want to fix what isn't broken. This motor has certainly surprised me (knock on wood).

Anyway, here is a pic from the drive back being pulled by my Rainier 5.3 which did awesome. Glad I kept the rear airbag setup in it when I did Belltech shocks/struts all around. It cruised along at 75 mph in OD without downshifting for the slight inclines I ran into.

Name:  E070BA86-3CEB-45E4-A7BF-3D2A40A296FE_zpsh92vhvnt.jpg
Views: 172
Size:  128.7 KB

Here is a video I shot while my buddy was messing with the tune a bit to see what it would do on the footbrake. It definitely needs a 2-step and probably a transbrake in the future at some point.

I wish I would have had more time to mess with the car before the weekend. Friday night we had our first Iowa Mini Cash days event and 1320 Video came over to shoot it. Beater Bomb raced in it and there were a few other quick local cars as well. We had 11 cars total and I would have been the 12th but I would have been throwing $100 away. Like I mentioned before, the car needs a few things before I can be competitive.

Anyway, follow along again for some updates and track times. Hoping to get the car in the 6.20 @ 115-117 range this fall which I hope is doable.
Old 09-14-2015, 08:06 AM
SSZ
TECH Fanatic

Cool you got your car back.
Question regarding the Rainier. I believe its a 4L70 transmission in it, is it still stock? I have a 06 SS trailblazer and was leery about towing a car with it cause of the transmission as i have read they are iffy.
Old 09-14-2015, 08:31 AM
9 Second Club

Originally Posted by SSZ
Cool you got your car back.
Question regarding the Rainier. I believe its a 4L70 transmission in it, is it still stock? I have a 06 SS trailblazer and was leery about towing a car with it cause of the transmission as i have read they are iffy.
The Rainier has a 4L60E, lol. The transmission is currently stock but I have tuned on it a bit via HPTuners. As of now, it shifts nice and solid without any issues. I have towed a couple of different cars with it, as well as my parents boat a few times. My parents used to have an I6 Trailblazer and the transmission finally gave up the ghost at 226k miles so they got rid of it. That thing pulled a boat almost every weekend in the summer. If your transmission is currently in good working order I would not hesitate to tow with it. A good cooler will help but my Rainier does not have an aftermarket one on it yet. I don't beat on the Rainier though and wasn't hammering on it while towing.
Old 09-14-2015, 08:37 AM
SSZ
TECH Fanatic

Cool.
Sorry, didnt mean to derail from the car. Good luck. Hope you meet your goals.
Old 09-14-2015, 08:50 AM
9 Second Club

No problem!
Old 09-15-2015, 07:52 AM
11 Second Club

Received 22 Likes on 14 Posts

I bet you got a good deal too on buying the car back. I am not surprised he sold it back to you he's being buying selling cars since our high school days.

I lost count of how many cars he's had.
Old 09-15-2015, 08:05 AM
9 Second Club

Originally Posted by transam69230
I bet you got a good deal too on buying the car back. I am not surprised he sold it back to you he's being buying selling cars since our high school days.

I lost count of how many cars he's had.
That's what Steven said as well, ha. I have been the same way though. I don't plan on buying or selling anything for awhile now. I know this car isn't going anywhere again.
Old 09-15-2015, 09:51 AM
11 Second Club

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Glad to hear you got it back! Eager to see how it runs this fall
Old 09-15-2015, 09:55 AM
9 Second Club

Originally Posted by Photochop
Glad to hear you got it back! Eager to see how it runs this fall
Thanks! Did you give up on your turbo build?
Old 09-16-2015, 10:28 PM
11 Second Club

I gave up on that car and build yeah. I sold the car as a roller and I'm parting out whats left of it. Ended up buying an 01 Formula with a fresh 6L and 4L60E. It's got a big NA cam in it now that I'm swapping out in favor of the Tick 231/231 stage 2 v2 turbo cam, along with putting on a set of 799 heads leftover from the L33 I had. Also have that 8.8 leftover from the camaro build that I'm putting in this car. Hopefully within a year or two put a kit on it with a 78/75 or something similar. I'm just wanting something fun for now to get out and cruise and tinker with, hopefully run some mid 11s in NA, then get more serious when it starts to feel slow and more money/time is available
Old 09-17-2015, 07:09 AM
9 Second Club

I hear you there. I thought I wanted something just to cruise around in. My Dad was going to sell me his 98 SS M6 car when he bought his Corvette but decided to keep them both, go figure. Oh well, this worked out better in the end anyway. Most of the guys I hang out with have 9-10 second cars so it would have sucked to lag behind that much for a couple of years.

Anyway, an update on the car. It now has a 2-step on it and set at 3500 rpm will build about 7 lbs. It loads the suspension pretty good at 3500 and the tires want to spin sometimes. I am sure at the track, and with better tires, it will hold 3500 no problem. I would like to be able to get a pound or two more out of it on the 2-step so I need to start messing with the tune a bit to see if I can. I lowered the 2-step back down to 3300 rpm for now and can make 6 lbs. pretty easily.

Going to order up some new tires as well. Thinking of going with the ET Street R in the 325/50/15 flavor. I wish they had something closer to the 295/55/15 that's on the car now but I don't want a bias tire on the Racestars since I will drive on the street with them quite often. I plan to get a cheap set of rear drag wheels in the spring and throw some Hoosiers on them for getting down on the street on special occasions, or a no prep track race.

Drove the car 45 minutes each way last night to the WS6store to put it on a lift and check the pinion angle. We measured it so many times and looked at so many different ways to figure it out I can't remember what the figures were. We ended up shimming the transmission a bit but that didn't seem to help. The vibration is still there above 70 mph. It gets worse if I drop it down to 3rd gear and isn't really a constant vibration. The previous owner mentioned that he had the rear tires rebalanced and it helped some but to me it doesn't feel like tire vibration at all. Might try the WS6store shop car's driveshaft just to rule that out since it too has an 80E and 9" and the driveshafts are the exact same length.
Old 09-17-2015, 08:13 AM
11 Second Club

Received 22 Likes on 14 Posts

Just a heads up if you are clearanced for a 325/50/15 the new style MT ET Street R is a bigger 325 then the previous ET Street Radial.

I had to do a ton of massaging again to get them to fit without rubbing on my car.
Old 09-17-2015, 08:33 AM
9 Second Club

Originally Posted by transam69230
Just a heads up if you are clearanced for a 325/50/15 the new style MT ET Street R is a bigger 325 then the previous ET Street Radial.

I had to do a ton of massaging again to get them to fit without rubbing on my car.
Damn, that sucks. There's another thread in here where a guy put them on his Camaro without issue. Mine is lowered in the rear with the hose mod though, so maybe I should rethink the tire choice. Might end up putting the same tire back on it then.

Do you like the ET Street R?
Old 09-17-2015, 10:13 AM
11 Second Club

You could always go with the ET Street R in a 275/60 size, may be similar to the 295/55 if they run big

Quick Reply: RedRocket's 01 Z28 build - S480, Tick Cam, SBE LQ4, 4L80E, E85