Search this Thread

Old 09-21-2016, 02:10 PM
8 Second Club

Received 121 Likes on 90 Posts

Nitto best true street tire out there, /story
Old 09-26-2016, 08:39 AM
9 Second Club

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I took the car down to Missouri on Saturday for the 10th Annual Mustang/Fbody meet. I ran in the true street class in which cars could not go quicker than a 6.00. It was in the upper 80's and humid so I knew the car wasn't going to go 5's without pushing it hard and I knew I could get it to run consistent 6.0-6.1's. We had to complete a 50 mile cruise which my car handled no problem and then we were required to make two qualifying passes.

My first pass I turned it down a bit to see how the track was going to hold. It went 6.23 @ 113.6 with a 1.46 60'. My second pass I turned it up a little more and went 6.19 @ 115.6 with a 1.48 60'. I was the 2nd fastest in the class up to that point and the car was going quicker each pass so I increased the duty cycle another 5% for the first pass in eliminations. I ended up racing a fellow member here who also has a red turbo Camaro and I ended up going 6.14 @ 116 to his 6.4 @ 109 I believe. Shortly after that pass it started to rain and the event got cancelled so we loaded up and headed home.

I had a good time at the event but feel it got a little hectic when the rain started settling in. There were a ton of cars in the true street class and they split us up into 3 groups based on our qualifying runs. There were 26 cars in the "fast group", and 20 in each of the other groups. The original plan was to draw for pairings but that never happened so we were supposed to just line up and race whoever we were next to. The fast group was supposed to go first but others must have got confused because I originally got paired up next to a beat up fox body that wasn't in the fast group. Due to the confusion no one stepped up to race the other turbo Camaro so I got moved up to race him. I had chatted with the driver earlier in the night because I recognized the car from his build thread here.

Anyway, I think I have an issue with the trans or in the converter/flexplate area. After I crossed the stripe on my second pass the car died on me. I threw it in neutral after I slowed down, started it up, and noticed a whine/rattle coming from the converter area. Trans temp was also showing pegged at over 220*. Luckily I was able to let it cool down for over and hour and trans temps dropped back to normal. Also, the sound seemed to be gone before I made the final pass. The trans made the final pass without issue and temps were good. However, when I unloaded the car yesterday it was making a horrible rattle and was whining pretty good. It drove fine into the garage and I haven't looked at it yet. I plan to do that this week but am wondering what it could possibly be. I figured the engine would get hurt before the trans though.

Anyway, here's a video of the elimination pass.

I was wanting to run the car one more time this fall but I may just call it a season. We will see what I find out about the trans.
Old 09-26-2016, 09:28 AM
11 Second Club

Received 22 Likes on 14 Posts

I'd start with the converter bolts and check to see if they are loose or not.

What flexplate? The TCI flexplate tends to have an issue with keeping converter bolts tight.
Old 09-26-2016, 09:49 AM
9 Second Club

It's a Hughes SFI plate.
Old 09-26-2016, 08:00 PM
9 Second Club

In car video of the first pass Saturday.
Old 09-26-2016, 08:22 PM
TECH Resident

Received 117 Likes on 98 Posts

As stated. I'd check the converter and flexplate bolts. But it sure sounds like a converter/trans problem. How does the fluid look?
Old 09-26-2016, 08:26 PM
9 Second Club

Originally Posted by Bad Apache
As stated. I'd check the converter and flexplate bolts. But it sure sounds like a converter/trans problem. How does the fluid look?
Checking it on the stick it looks and smells fine. I need to drain it and drop the pan this week.
Old 09-26-2016, 08:45 PM
TECH Resident

With any luck it'll be loose flexplate bolts or maybe a cracked flexplate in that area.
Old 09-28-2016, 07:33 AM
9 Second Club

I started the car up last night to get a better idea of where the noise was coming from and I narrowed it down to the alternator. I took the belt off and the noise went away. I spun all the pulleys by hand and the alt made a horrible noise. I was excited at first but then my friend noticed a puddle of fluid under the car. It was transmission fluid and it looks like it is coming from the pump seal. Needless to say, my season is over.

Now to figure out exactly what I want to do with it. My goal for the winter is to buy some 4.005 pistons, good rods, and freshen up the motor. After 4 years I am thinking that it's time and I want to be able to push the car without worrying.

I also planned to send the converter back and have the trans gone through but with the direction the car is going I have been contemplating a TH400 or glide as well. Although I do like driving the car and don't want to hate it every time I drive it on the street. Also thought about a brake in the 80E but they are so dang expensive now. Not sure which route I will take at this point.

I am going to slowly start taking the car apart and get it ready to remove the drivetrain. I have plenty of time to get things done but I don't want to run into the issue of it not being ready by spring.
Old 09-28-2016, 11:49 AM
TECH Resident

Sounds like a good plan. Good luck!
Old 09-28-2016, 12:09 PM
TECH Resident

Received 19 Likes on 15 Posts

I hear you on the trans. I'm kinda in the same spot but I think I would miss o/d. Whatever you do get a brake in that thing!
Old 10-10-2016, 07:20 AM
9 Second Club

Well I started to tear the car down over the weekend. Didn't make much progress but it's a start and I have plenty of time.

Name:  95DBA7BB-F0AF-42BD-BE3B-1180A17EBC0D_zps3j4stqrr.jpg
Views: 237
Size:  151.9 KB

I went and talked to a local engine builder as well. He used to work for a shop but has since moved to his own place at his house. His shop is pretty badass and he has all kinds of machinery to do anything you could want. He builds some pretty badass Grand National engines for a local guy and he also has a huge hand in pulling truck engines. He put together my buddies 347 LS engine as well. I am going to try and get everything torn down in the next couple of weeks and take him the block so we can measure the bores before I order pistons. The plan right now is to go with some off the shelf flat top Wiseco pistons and K1 rods. Any recommendations on what to do for bearings? I will be using the stock crank.

Kind of bummed I missed out on racing this past weekend. All of my friends went personal bests since we had some decent air. My buddy with the black turbo LS fox that has a 370, GT4788, footbrake 4L80E, Holley, etc., went 5.61 @ 124 with a 1.32 60'. Absolutely nuts if you ask me. My other friend with the 2JZ Capri went 5.76 @ 121. It's a SBE 2J. I am not sure how much faster mine would have went with the converter issues and I probably would have tried something dumb like locking it in 2nd gear and turning it up, ha. Probably a good thing I wasn't able to make it but I definitely missed out on a good day.

I'll continue to update the thread with my progress.
Old 10-10-2016, 10:17 AM
TECH Addict

Received 41 Likes on 37 Posts

I can't wait to see what the car does with some forged goodies.
Old 10-20-2016, 08:00 AM
9 Second Club

So I think plans have changed a bit. I am going to forgo the forged internals and keep it stock bottom end-ish. I have some Gen 4 LQ4 rods and pistons I picked up a couple of years ago and am going to use the rods with some new LS2/LQ9 pistons to bump the compression up a bit. These are what I am thinking...

http://www.ebay.com/itm/GM-CHEVY-LS-...dU6k~w&vxp=mtr

Thoughts on doing this?

I want to tear down the current engine regardless as it does make a little noise in the bottom end and there has been quite a bit of material on the drain plug the last couple of oil changes. I know once the converter is right and the power starts getting put to the ground like it should this Gen 3 won't live very long. It's had a good run but I want to freshen it up with some slightly better parts for now and hopefully make a semi reliable 850 rwhp next year and get deeper into the 5's. After mulling it over some I have come to the conclusion a forged bottom end just isn't in the cards right now. Also, I would like to pick up a trailer next spring so I can take the car to more events without worrying about something going wrong.

I would pick up a complete Gen 4 LQ4/9 but around here places want gold bars for one. I would be spending 12-1500 easily to find one and would probably have to travel a distance to do that.

I have also thought about going with a completely different converter. My buddy with the Turbo LS Foxbody with the 80E, who I eluded to earlier in this thread, talked to PTC about their 9.5 80E converter. It's a non-lockup unit which may bother me a little but I am more concerned with how it behaves at the track. They say it will be loose enough down low to footbrake the car like I currently am but will be super efficient up top. So, if anyone is looking for a Circle-D triple disc for a good price then send them my way!

I'll continue to update this thread as I make progress.
Old 10-20-2016, 08:04 AM
11 Second Club

Received 22 Likes on 14 Posts

I am sure you know but there will need to by hydraulic mods done to the trans to remove the lockup function in order to use that 9.5 PTC converter correctly. LS1NOVA is running an 80e 9.5 with non-lockup currently.

Why don't you lock up you triple disc currently?

I have a triple in mine, but don't lock it because I am over 1000rwhp and was told I could ruin the clutches if I lock it under load at WOT.
Old 10-20-2016, 08:06 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 15 Likes on 11 Posts

That rod/piston combo would likely work pretty well. I don't really know anything about that Engine Tech brand. Is there a Speed Pro equivalent? Would you get the assembly balanced?
Old 10-20-2016, 08:33 AM
9 Second Club

Originally Posted by transam69230
I am sure you know but there will need to by hydraulic mods done to the trans to remove the lockup function in order to use that 9.5 PTC converter correctly. LS1NOVA is running an 80e 9.5 with non-lockup currently.

Why don't you lock up you triple disc currently?

I have a triple in mine, but don't lock it because I am over 1000rwhp and was told I could ruin the clutches if I lock it under load at WOT.
http://www.transgo.com/products.php?...dcountview=Yes

Originally Posted by svslow
That rod/piston combo would likely work pretty well. I don't really know anything about that Engine Tech brand. Is there a Speed Pro equivalent? Would you get the assembly balanced?
https://www.summitracing.com/parts/s...9cpa/overview/

Yeah there are those. I did some searching on the EngineTech's and they seem to be pretty popular as well.

I would most definitely get it balanced.
Old 10-20-2016, 08:54 AM
TECH Apprentice

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

If you're looking to save your lockup function, call up circle d and ask about their new 252mm converter. I sent mine in for a re-stall and their upgrading me to this new 252mm unit. It's supposedly built on the Nissan 9.5 core like the ptc. Looks like you can have the best of both worlds. Chris told me I should be able to footbrake at a higher rpm than my 2b and have single digit slippage on the top end.
Old 10-20-2016, 09:28 AM
9 Second Club

What is that running you though? Those things are pricy.
Old 10-20-2016, 09:33 AM
TECH Apprentice

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I want to say the retail on it is $1700. However, my converter was there for a free re-stall, so they threw me a great trade in price on it.

Quick Reply: RedRocket's 01 Z28 build - S480, Tick Cam, SBE LQ4, 4L80E, E85