Forced Induction Superchargers | Turbochargers | Intercoolers

UPDATED!!*DYNO NUMBERS* Comparison of Comp Turbo Billet 88mm CT6X-88 & GT91 Garrett!!

Search this Thread

Old 09-08-2012 | 12:14 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by KILLER-LS1
Well, I have some interesting results, and here they are:

first pull of the day made (stage 1) 828rwhp at 11.5 psi!!

next pull (stage 2) was 955 rwhp on 15.5 psi

playing with the boost controller got it to 977 around the same psi

then another pull to 1025.8 rwhp, and then 1027.4, both at 16 psi.

we were pretty much done, so we let it cool down for a few, and then decided to test back pressure, pre-intercooler pressure, and manifold pressure all simultaneously.

Heres the crazy thing: it made 23psi back pressure, 15.5psi manifold pressure, and 30 psi pre-intercooler!!

needless to say, i have a small intercooler restriction LOL. its still a 3" core ebay intercooler, and I never thought to replace it because the car always had good power. Funny thing is, the IAT still dropped to 68 degrees.

amazingly, since the motor wasnt so hot, it made 1014rwhp on 15.5 psi!

Im going to get a good intercooler in there, (need some opinions on size and type) and re-dyno it after, we think it should pick up a LOT of HP.

To those that questioned the pre-intercooler psi, thank you, im glad I checked it. That means my backpressure results have been skewed because of this intercooler restriction. And here is my official apology to Comp Turbo. Sorry guys, i hope i didnt make your turbos look bad, I am VERY impressed with my current turbo, and hope that others have the same luck that Im having!

http://youtu.be/hrIKxSxE20k

Very impressive.
Old 09-08-2012 | 12:16 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by stevieturbo
I dont recall reading he was interested in street racing ?
Exactly.
Old 09-08-2012 | 12:25 PM
TECH Addict

I dont recall reading he was interested in street racing ?

Auto's have their place, and for short straight line stuff or launches there is no doubt they are better than a manual. Not everyone wants an automatic though.
If they did, Rally cars, Race cars, F1 cars, motorbikes etc etc would all use automatics. None do.
A F1 car doesnt use a full manual trans buddy. More like smg, which is computer shifted, not the conventional clutch and shifter. What do you mean race cars? Nobody said he was street racing, but put the two cars next to each other and the auto car will keep boost throughout the rpm range and run circles around a manual car any day.
Old 09-08-2012 | 12:35 PM
9 Second Club

Originally Posted by Cam72aro
A F1 car doesnt use a full manual trans buddy. More like smg, which is computer shifted, not the conventional clutch and shifter. What do you mean race cars? Nobody said he was street racing, but put the two cars next to each other and the auto car will keep boost throughout the rpm range and run circles around a manual car any day.
F1 cars are not computer shifted ( and I doubt they would be allowed to, or the driver would even want them to be ). The driver chooses when and where to shift the same as any sequential gearbox whether H pattern or other shift mechanism.

Auto's are great for short straight line stuff where launches are critical and a lot of situations on the street.

But not everyone wants or needs an auto, nor are they the best option for cars that are used regularly on a variety of roads, and for different types of racing if it also gets used for that.
I dont think there are any proper sports or performance cars with an automatic gearbox anywhere outside of the US ?
The fascination with automatics does mostly seem to be an American thing.
Old 09-08-2012 | 12:43 PM
TECH Addict

F1 cars are not computer shifted ( and I doubt they would be allowed to, or the driver would even want them to be ). The driver chooses when and where to shift the same as any sequential gearbox whether H pattern or other shift mechanism.

Auto's are great for short straight line stuff where launches are critical and a lot of situations on the street.

But not everyone wants or needs an auto, nor are they the best option for cars that are used regularly on a variety of roads, and for different types of racing if it also gets used for that.
I dont think there are any proper sports or performance cars with an automatic gearbox anywhere outside of the US ?
The fascination with automatics does mostly seem to be an American thing.
The driver tells the computer to shift. . . ie computer shifted, lol. Same as a smg whether its in "manual" mode or auto mode. Its manual mode, but the driver does not control the clutch or the speed of the shift.
Old 09-08-2012 | 01:09 PM
TECH Fanatic

Guys, I'm not putting an automatic in this car. EVER. The end. I'm not trying to be the fastest street racer. I'm trying to build the most versatile street car possible. I can get 20+ mpg, go autocross, road race, run 200+ MPH, take it to the 1/4 track, take it to car shows and win awards, take it to the grocery store, take it on road trips, and still be faster than 99.9% of the cars on the road.
Old 09-08-2012 | 01:12 PM
TECH Regular

We're gonna lose this very informative thread...we're getting way off topic...lol! We went from Comp vs Garrett to Auto vs Manual and freakin' F1 cars...lol! Let's try to keep the thread alive until he throws a better intercooler on there. KILLER LS1, any time table on when you might get your new intercooler and when we might see some new results?

Last edited by deeloc1; 09-08-2012 at 01:17 PM.
Old 09-08-2012 | 01:14 PM
TECH Fanatic

And automagic, im not saying anything bad about your car, Martin said that you had the same numbers at the same psi, which wasn't accurate. Your auto accounts for maybe 5% additional drivetrain loss. That's 50rwhp. All I'm saying is that my setup is running pretty efficiently right now considering the boost levels. Let's keep this thread about turbos, not transmissions.
Old 09-08-2012 | 01:21 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by deeloc1
We're gonna lose this very informative thread...we're getting way off topic...lol! We went from Comp vs Garrett to Auto vs Manual and freakin' F1 cars...lol! Let try to keep the thread alive until he throws a better intercooler on there. KILLER LS1, any time table on when you might get your new intercooler and when we might see some new results?
I'm out of town again for the PWA conference, so it won't be for another couple of weeks. I work a lot of races and shows in october, Then I'm gone for SEMA in November, and a 1/2 mile drag race right after that, so the plan is to have it all done by the end of September.
Old 09-08-2012 | 02:00 PM
TECH Regular

I'm out of town again for the PWA conference, so it won't be for another couple of weeks. I work a lot of races and shows in october, Then I'm gone for SEMA in November, and a 1/2 mile drag race right after that, so the plan is to have it all done by the end of September.
Cool!
Old 09-08-2012 | 02:14 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by deeloc1
We're gonna lose this very informative thread...we're getting way off topic...lol! We went from Comp vs Garrett to Auto vs Manual and freakin' F1 cars...lol! Let's try to keep the thread alive until he throws a better intercooler on there. KILLER LS1, any time table on when you might get your new intercooler and when we might see some new results?
We are not going to lose this thread, lol. The auto discussion refers to turbos. Op, never said you should put an auto on your car, lol. I was just correcting someone that needed correcting. Congrats on the numbers. Makes me anxious to see what my gt91 will do. Opps, back to Garett discussion, lol. Just to clarify, you had 30psi before the intercooler? That turbo is definately working, probably overworking.
Old 09-08-2012 | 02:36 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Guys, I'm not putting an automatic in this car. EVER. The end. I'm not trying to be the fastest street racer. I'm trying to build the most versatile street car possible. I can get 20+ mpg, go autocross, road race, run 200+ MPH, take it to the 1/4 track, take it to car shows and win awards, take it to the grocery store, take it on road trips, and still be faster than 99.9% of the cars on the road.
getting your car ready for SEMA?
Old 09-08-2012 | 03:01 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by TPI TERROR
getting your car ready for SEMA?
It's possible, but not for sure yet. Either way, I'm at SEMA every year for work. It's a lot of fun if you can find somebody to get you in
Old 09-08-2012 | 06:24 PM
FormerVendor

Originally Posted by nocooler
Martin - did you miss the pre-intercooler boost was 30psi? That compressor is working way harder than it should @ 15-16psi.

Hell I don't think 23psi of BP with 30psi of compressor boost is bad at all.

I'd like to see what is does with a better intercooler. You think it spools fast now wait until you don't have a 15psi drop across the core. The back pressure should come more inline as well.
No I didn't miss that I haven't said once that the back pressure numbers are bad, I'm trying point out his MUCH larger new turbo is making the SAME horsepower his GT91 did!
Answers in bold
LOL upset? I'm far from upset just trying to take the blinders off for you. Automagic and LS1 curt both answered for me, you're comparing a unlocked stalled auto to a 6 speed car. 1000rwhp at 20lbs on 16* timing through an auto would be 1100+ on a 6 speed. And there is NO way you're picking up 100rwhp with 2psi of boost. It ain't happening. No offense here at all, but I think I know a little bit more about turbo's than you think and that I let on. Jose has shared a lot of information with me and some of it is stunning to say the least. I watch cars make pulls on the dyno all day long and the higher the hp the larger the differences in power output comparing an automatic to a manual trans. 50rwhp difference between the two....again there is no way that is going to be the case.
Originally Posted by AutomagicLS1
nice numbers but your using a 6 speed there chief and also my car made 1000rwhp @ 20lbs 16* using a th400 through a 9" at TX2K12 also using a tiny *** 92mm exhaust wheel on my 408 compared to your monster gt55 wheel. that little demon only set me back $1249. your car makes power no doubt but i'll bet you anything its gonna get worked over hard by a auto car on the street making a lot less power than you are...so comparing your 6 speed car to my car auto car really doesn't make a difference to me

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=okexhAh6Znc
Thanks for chiming in, wasn't trying to get you drawn into this discussion just using you for an example as I would guarantee your car with a 6 speed and the old GT88 would make the exact same numbers he is making if not more.

Last edited by Sales@Tick; 09-08-2012 at 06:31 PM.
Old 09-08-2012 | 10:15 PM
Launching!

IMHO some people are missing the point..he's happy turbo makes power (per psi too).... remove issues from IC/intake and your gonna see big gains when the turbo hits its sweet spot (20+ psi). Yes he made similar power but we are measuring restrictions (pressure in the intake) the intercooler may be only letting that much air flow go thru with the rate of consumption the engine is capable of ....so there's a balancing act goin on , maybe any more psi would give diminished returns until IC problems are fixed. One thing's for sure it made power and spooled sooner despite being larger. So its safe to say with more psi it'll make more power while spooling sooner and that's what he wanted.
Old 09-09-2012 | 12:16 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by Martin@Tick
No I didn't miss that I haven't said once that the back pressure numbers are bad, I'm trying point out his MUCH larger new turbo is making the SAME horsepower his GT91 did!

LOL upset? I'm far from upset just trying to take the blinders off for you. Automagic and LS1 curt both answered for me, you're comparing a unlocked stalled auto to a 6 speed car. 1000rwhp at 20lbs on 16* timing through an auto would be 1100+ on a 6 speed. And there is NO way you're picking up 100rwhp with 2psi of boost. It ain't happening. No offense here at all, but I think I know a little bit more about turbo's than you think and that I let on. Jose has shared a lot of information with me and some of it is stunning to say the least. I watch cars make pulls on the dyno all day long and the higher the hp the larger the differences in power output comparing an automatic to a manual trans. 50rwhp difference between the two....again there is no way that is going to be the case.

Thanks for chiming in, wasn't trying to get you drawn into this discussion just using you for an example as I would guarantee your car with a 6 speed and the old GT88 would make the exact same numbers he is making if not more.
I don't see how you're missing this. It is not making the same power. IT IS MAKING MORE POWER than the GT91. Same power on less boost = more power. If I made a pull at 17psi, it would be more power than my previous turbo. Not sure why you don't accept that.

Also, I'm not comparing with automagic, you are. You brought it up on page 18.

I would like to keep this thread free of useless speculation, which is all our conversation is right now. No testing is truly accurate with out constants. I'm here saying yes, I got as much data as I could, but so much was changed all at once, it's hard to say what the exact cause was. Anything else is speculation. If you want to pay me to buy a gt91-97 and do more testing, then feel free. Otherwise there's nothing else to discuss. We don't have any more data.

So here's how the thread is going to go now: talking about intercooler setups. I'm going to change the IC, and measure again to see the results. I'd like to have data in here without having to sort through 20 pages of crap.
Old 09-09-2012 | 12:26 AM
TECH Fanatic

So, I'm contemplating between a treadstone 1000hp unit, or possibly a Procharger one. I'm worried about going too thick on the core and having the airflow to the radiator blocked. What's the thickest core you guys run on the street, and does it effect your cooling at all?
Old 09-09-2012 | 01:02 AM
Staging Lane

At the power level your at and wanting to run air to air you should really look to talk to koolrayz about the air to air he ran built by Ron Shearer.

I am sticking to my guns on the you still could use a larger turbine wheel. Your asking a lot from that to drive that 133MM exducer compressor.

Last edited by JOHNBOY66; 09-09-2012 at 01:20 AM.
Old 09-09-2012 | 01:38 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by JOHNBOY66
At the power level your at and wanting to run air to air you should really look to talk to koolrayz about the air to air he ran built by Ron Shearer.

I am sticking to my guns on the you still could use a larger turbine wheel. Your asking a lot from that to drive that 133MM exducer compressor.
yeah thats a nice unit! I dont think I can afford it though...

Has anyone fit a diagonal flow IC in a F-body? I know they are more efficient at cooling, but I never see them in the F-bodies.

On a side note, wouldnt fixing my restriction change the pressure ratio when looking at a compressor map? I wonder how much effect it could have....?
Old 09-09-2012 | 02:33 AM
Banned

The treadstone cores work really good. Have one on my build, and several of my friends run them as well. Get the 1300whp core. http://www.treadstoneperformance.com...cooler++1300HP

Quick Reply: UPDATED!!*DYNO NUMBERS* Comparison of Comp Turbo Billet 88mm CT6X-88 & GT91 Garrett!!