Forced Induction Superchargers | Turbochargers | Intercoolers

UPDATED!!*DYNO NUMBERS* Comparison of Comp Turbo Billet 88mm CT6X-88 & GT91 Garrett!!

Search this Thread

Old 08-13-2012, 01:48 PM
TECH Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by spoolin turbo
Zapp109 is that a billet 80 or a cast 80 you have?
Reason im asking is the billet stuff should flow more than the cast so you might not need to go that large on the turbine.

You understand that they only have cast or billet compressors????

The billet 8079 does not work on a 6.0. Sprayed01 proved it.

Since the other guy asked about the 8079, have a look at Sprayed01s' posts.
If you want more rpm or power, go with a bigger turbine. Since it's a 5 series, it may take the 84 or 88 turbine also.
Old 08-13-2012, 01:51 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by TurboS10
Josh - see if they can put a bigger turbine on it.

NRE stopped asking ITS what they thought would work and started telling them what he wanted for turbo sizing. They seem to not be able to understand LS turbine sizing.
I'd guess they don't have maps for their wheels.

BW has a calculator on their site and it calc's exh flow too. You could put your combo in and see what flow you come up with and tell Comp that number. -I'd ask what the current wheel/housing will flow first....
have a link to the calculator? I cant find it...
Old 08-13-2012, 01:58 PM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by KILLER-LS1
have a link to the calculator? I cant find it...
I think this is what he's talking about.
http://www.turbodriven.com/performan...6_wrsin=92044&
Old 08-13-2012, 02:04 PM
11 Second Club

the gt50 is a 98mm uhp turbine wheel its what ill be using this go around. The ls engines just flow a lot of air. The 87mm 1.25 ar devided t4 bw turbine I had had 1.4 bp at 11psi boost
Old 08-13-2012, 02:25 PM
TECH Fanatic

im not understanding how to use the turbine wheel selection. its saying "adjust turbine expansion ratio until all points land on a turbine wheel plot"

but i can keep adjusting them to make them land on any plot. I dont get it...?
Old 08-13-2012, 04:08 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by TurboS10
You understand that they only have cast or billet compressors????

The billet 8079 does not work on a 6.0. Sprayed01 proved it.

Since the other guy asked about the 8079, have a look at Sprayed01s' posts.
If you want more rpm or power, go with a bigger turbine. Since it's a 5 series, it may take the 84 or 88 turbine also.
Yes I know that, however a cast 8079 combo may have worked in the past but since the billet 80 flows more the 79 turbine is not enough. Thats why I was asking him which he had.
Old 08-13-2012, 06:29 PM
TECH Fanatic

Okay, heres a status update: they are ordering me a 1.39 A/R housing. It comes in Wed, but I will be out of town by then... I know a lot of you are saying it wont help much, and i probably agree. I going to humor the guys at comp and try the housing, and im looking at it like a learning experience. I'm curious to see how much A/R can effect back pressure. If/when that doesnt work, Im going to have them put the GT55 wheel in it. From there, I can make a better estimate of what A/R to go with the bigger wheel.

Thank you guys for the input. I know it sucks that its going to be a couple weeks before any updates, but work is what pays for the toys

hopefully this will be a learning experience for both myself and Comp, and if all works out, i still think this turbo will make some great power! if not, then ill probably look into a precision or garrett
Old 08-13-2012, 06:44 PM
FormerVendor

Received 15 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by KILLER-LS1
How do you think it would do in regard to spool time?

yeah I talked to precision and they rocommended the 91 as well. I just dont have the funds for that right now...
If you can work a table in HPtuners to where you know how to add timing when a certain AFR is being commanded(there is a specific table for this), such as the AFR on the footbrake spooling the car or AFR on tip in when you are transitioning from vacuum to boost and then ramping that added timing out as the AFR richens up to what the AFR is at 2-3psi then you will have no problem.

If this sounds like latin to you, PM when you get to that point and I'll tell you what to do

BTW I'd go with the biggest wheel I thought I could possibly spool while keeping the AR housing tight.
Old 08-13-2012, 07:30 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by Martin@Tick
...BTW I'd go with the biggest wheel I thought I could possibly spool while keeping the AR housing tight.
Are you saying put the biggest exhaust wheel in the a/r you want to run?
Just trying to understand what you mean here.
Thanks
Old 08-13-2012, 08:45 PM
FormerVendor

Are you saying put the biggest exhaust wheel in the a/r you want to run?
Just trying to understand what you mean here.
Thanks
No, and I misworded that slightly. I didn't mean the biggest I thought I could spool, because really with the right timing in transition areas, afr and cam for what you're trying to do specifically I'm a believer that you can spool more than what you could think with these LS motors.

Then don't put the biggest AR on it that you possibly can or really the second biggest one. I've always thought and never got the chance to test it that a large turbine wheel with a tight AR housing would offer the most potential as far as available boost that still gains power while offering great spool time because the AR isn't sloppy by huge because the turbine is too small and you're trying to crutch it.

Check this dyno graph out. This was a Borg S500 111mm turbine tested on a local X275 358 cubic inch SBF car.
Old 08-14-2012, 12:37 AM
TECH Regular

I'm getting about 52 lbs flow on the exh with a 1.0 110/99mm BW turbine with 20 psi & 30 psi BP @ 6600 rpm & ~1300HP.

I can email you a screen print if you want, PM your addy.

For adjusting the ratio, you watch the BP and waste gate opening.

Last edited by TurboS10; 08-14-2012 at 12:49 AM.
Old 08-14-2012, 06:31 AM
On The Tree

No, and I misworded that slightly. I didn't mean the biggest I thought I could spool, because really with the right timing in transition areas, afr and cam for what you're trying to do specifically I'm a believer that you can spool more than what you could think with these LS motors.

Then don't put the biggest AR on it that you possibly can or really the second biggest one. I've always thought and never got the chance to test it that a large turbine wheel with a tight AR housing would offer the most potential as far as available boost that still gains power while offering great spool time because the AR isn't sloppy by huge because the turbine is too small and you're trying to crutch it.

Check this dyno graph out. This was a Borg S500 111mm turbine tested on a local X275 358 cubic inch SBF car.
Thanks for the clarification.
Just some food for thought regarding the larger turbine in a tight a/r. I had the 79turbine before with a 1.00a/r. I decided for my own satisfaction to make the car a bit more peppy I would throw on an 84a/r housing (smaller displacement motor). I thought I would gain spool/trq (not hp) but it turned out the housing choked down that wheel so much that it spooled slower also made 110rwhp less. Put the 1.0a/r back on and the car woke up and the power was back and spool was back.
Sometimes too small of a housing will choke the turbine from the flow its capable of. If you want the overlay I think I can dig it up. Then it goes back to what you said, the right cam, the right tune,the right turbo specs.
Old 08-14-2012, 08:49 AM
FormerVendor

Just some food for thought regarding the larger turbine in a tight a/r. I had the 79turbine before with a 1.00a/r. I decided for my own satisfaction to make the car a bit more peppy I would throw on an 84a/r housing (smaller displacement motor). I thought I would gain spool/trq (not hp) but it turned out the housing choked down that wheel so much that it spooled slower also made 110rwhp less. Put the 1.0a/r back on and the car woke up and the power was back and spool was back.
Sometimes too small of a housing will choke the turbine from the flow its capable of. If you want the overlay I think I can dig it up. Then it goes back to what you said, the right cam, the right tune,the right turbo specs.
That's interesting, but as you can see with a properly sized turbine like in the dyno graph I posted, the tighter AR housing made the exact same amount of peak power and killed it all the way under the curve by 200rwhp that's an enormous amount. Look how much sooner it made the power with the 1.0 housing and didn't lose anything to the 1.47 housing.

I think the 79mm turbine was just too small for your motor and a looser AR will help cover that up if it's undersized and not what it should have on there.

As you said about what I said, it goes back to pairing and matching every component to one another.
Old 08-14-2012, 09:59 AM
On The Tree

That's interesting, but as you can see with a properly sized turbine like in the dyno graph I posted, the tighter AR housing made the exact same amount of peak power and killed it all the way under the curve by 200rwhp that's an enormous amount. Look how much sooner it made the power with the 1.0 housing and didn't lose anything to the 1.47 housing.

I think the 79mm turbine was just too small for your motor and a looser AR will help cover that up if it's undersized and not what it should have on there.

As you said about what I said, it goes back to pairing and matching every component to one another.
Ya I hear ya thats why I posted my example with a smaller housing (opposite to yours). By the flat hp curve could you assume that peak power was reached and a housing change would do nothing? All other things, IAT,BP,boost duty being monitored?

Amazing how you "think" you are going to do better and end up not.

Last edited by spoolin turbo; 08-14-2012 at 10:40 AM.
Old 08-14-2012, 12:53 PM
TECH Fanatic

This is what I'm hoping for right now. Im am down 170rwhp, and some of that could be due to the extreme temperature on dyno day... what size motor was that on? you bumped up .16 a/r ratio, and Im going to bump up .28 a/r.

by the way,, do you think i will have any alignment problems with this new housing? I hope the downpipe will still line up, and the placement of the turbo will be the same.
Old 08-14-2012, 01:05 PM
On The Tree

That motor was missing 2 pistons and was half the size compared to yours...lol

I think with the larger housing you will see the gains you want.
The heat would not kill that much power. Thats what correction is for...lol.

When you say you were down 170rwhp was that at the same boost level as the previous turbo?
Old 08-14-2012, 01:28 PM
TECH Fanatic

That motor was missing 2 pistons and was half the size compared to yours...lol

I think with the larger housing you will see the gains you want.
The heat would not kill that much power. Thats what correction is for...lol.

When you say you were down 170rwhp was that at the same boost level as the previous turbo?
heres the old dyno sheet with the GT91:

with the comp turbo, it was making about 850ish on 15psi, but it would not make more boost, no matter how much more we turned up the boost (could be partially due to a small boost leak) but the backpressure is still 3:1, so that still needs to be fixed. I tried driving it on the street to see if it would make more boost, but 1 & 2nd gear spin too much, and 3rd gear im over 130mph, so i cant really replicate high boost on the street Im pretty confident that fixing the small boost leak and the backpressure will fix that issue. I think the motor was just massively choking and wouldnt make any more boost.

My whole reason for this new turbo was to get it to spool quicker, and carry the power longer instead of having it drop off so hard like that. Now im thinking that maybe my housing was too small even with the GT91 (i was able to reuse the same housing on the Comp turbo)
Old 08-14-2012, 01:55 PM
10 Second Club

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Maybe I missed it but what is comp doing for you?
Old 08-14-2012, 02:05 PM
TECH Fanatic

giving me a new housing to try, they said if the housing doesnt fix it, they would put a bigger turbine wheel on it.
Old 08-14-2012, 02:20 PM
9 Second Club

Received 180 Likes on 155 Posts

3:1 Holy **** !

That's bloody awful !!! Anything over 1.5:1 and I'd be looking to improve it, and it would still need to spool well.

Quick Reply: UPDATED!!*DYNO NUMBERS* Comparison of Comp Turbo Billet 88mm CT6X-88 & GT91 Garrett!!