Forced Induction Superchargers | Turbochargers | Intercoolers

anyone running fans on the front AND rear of theyre radiator???

Search this Thread

Old 07-24-2012, 07:12 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default anyone running fans on the front AND rear of theyre radiator???

well with this small griffin radiator that everyone reccomended, i could only fit twin 10" fans on the front. the car doesnt overheat, runs at about 210-215, but the underhood temps are just tremendous. cant really even touch the inner fenders after the hoods been shut a while.

i have room for two 8" fans on the back of the radiator, but im wondering if they will even do anything. my two front 10" fans flow 1250cfm each. and i found a set of 8" fans that flow 2100cfm each.

would i be wasting my money or would the fans make a difference? on one side i think they wouldnt do much for the rad, but they would throw more air across the motor. and on the other hand, they might help the rad since they r more cfm than the fronts and they would most likely put out MORE than 2100cfm since the air is already moving fast bc of the front fans.

cant decide what to do and i looked around but doesnt seem like many ppl r doin pushers and pullers
Old 07-24-2012, 07:38 PM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

They will fight each other. I would suggest ordering some really good pusher fans. Derale makes a really badass 12" pusher fan. They flow like 2200cfm each. I ordered a pair and they are backordered till Monday.
Old 07-24-2012, 07:48 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Cam72aro
They will fight each other. I would suggest ordering some really good pusher fans. Derale makes a really badass 12" pusher fan. They flow like 2200cfm each. I ordered a pair and they are backordered till Monday.
maybe u didnt read my post, i can only fit two 10" fans on the front, and 8" on the rear.

now i can see what ur saying them fighting against each other. but obviously i wouldnt hook them up as pushers on the BACK of the radiator.

i have two 10" pushers on the front. i want to put 8" pullers on the back. thus they will both be flowing the same direction. and the 8" ones i have picked out flow 2100cfm each. the 12" derale wont fit. and if u have a griffin like mine, i hope u dont plan on putting those fans on it. the core is only 22" wide
Old 07-24-2012, 08:12 PM
TECH Addict

How can you only fit a pair 10" fans on the griffin radiator? Everyone can get a pair of 12" fans on it. When I say fight each other I mean that the pushers will restrict air to the pullers and the pushers will be restricted by the pullers. I have been this route so thats why I am posting in here trying to help you out. So please don't be get an attitude and be thankful that someone is trying to help you. Maybe you got the wrong radiator because like I said, everyone can get two 12" fans on it.
Old 07-24-2012, 08:58 PM
TECH Resident

hes right , pushers and pullers dont work well together

ive always had better luck with puller fan setups personally

i think the 2 8'' fans should be enough to keep most engines cool ( i dont see your engine specs listed anywhere here)
Old 07-24-2012, 10:20 PM
TECH Enthusiast

How can you only fit a pair 10" fans on the griffin radiator? Everyone can get a pair of 12" fans on it. When I say fight each other I mean that the pushers will restrict air to the pullers and the pushers will be restricted by the pullers. I have been this route so thats why I am posting in here trying to help you out. So please don't be get an attitude and be thankful that someone is trying to help you. Maybe you got the wrong radiator because like I said, everyone can get two 12" fans on it.
like i said above the core is 22" and when they list the fan size, its the size of the blades, not the total size. so a 10" and 12" wont even fit. i got two tens on it and it s got 1/2" leftover. its the griffin everyone uses. 27.5 wide and 15.5 tall,

i dont see why the pushers wuld restrict the pullers.when running just pullers. the fans have to pull the air thru the radiator and thru the fan. when its got pushers and pullers, the pushers will be shoving air into the pullers.

dont u think that be better flow?

say the air needs to move at 80mph to cool properly. with just pullers, it has to go from 0-80mph thru the radiator.
if u had both, it be going from 0 to 40 thru the pusher and 40-80 once it gets to the puller. its like the pushers are feeding the pullers.

the car isnt overheating now,but id like to get it down to 185 ish and 180 at night.
Old 07-24-2012, 11:53 PM
Staging Lane

I have a 12inch spal pusher fan up front, and a 12inch spal puller fan on the rear,
i use the ecu to control my puller, and use a temp switch i installed in the radiator for the pusher! the pusher will only come on when the puller cant handle the temps

Name:  SAM_0857.jpg
Views: 5201
Size:  180.8 KB

Name:  SAM_0925.jpg
Views: 5681
Size:  204.0 KB
Old 07-25-2012, 06:45 AM
10 Second Club

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Just try it then and let us know. From what I understand the pushers wood restrict more at highway speeds
Old 07-25-2012, 11:14 AM
Launching!

I unfortunately had to remove my factory fans and running a pusher and a puller on mine right now. i had to run a toggle switch to my pusher fan (a/c condensor side) and the puller is controlled by a stand alone temp controller. If it wasnt for the 100 degree temps down south, it wouldn't get as hot as it does. Running a f/m turbo doesn't help either. My temps are 180 under normal driving, it climbs to 220 if its in stop and go traffic, but on the highway, its great. I need to rewire my fans to the factory plugs and it should be fine. All n all, i don't see the complication with running a pusher and a puller.
Old 07-25-2012, 11:18 AM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by trnsfmr99
I unfortunately had to remove my factory fans and running a pusher and a puller on mine right now. i had to run a toggle switch to my pusher fan (a/c condensor side) and the puller is controlled by a stand alone temp controller. If it wasnt for the 100 degree temps down south, it wouldn't get as hot as it does. Running a f/m turbo doesn't help either. My temps are 180 under normal driving, it climbs to 220 if its in stop and go traffic, but on the highway, its great. I need to rewire my fans to the factory plugs and it should be fine. All n all, i don't see the complication with running a pusher and a puller.
If they are offset from each other then there is no problem. If they are right in front of each other is where the problem arises.
Old 07-25-2012, 11:20 AM
TECH Apprentice

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I run a 16" pusher on my drivers side and a 10" puller on my passenger side but almost half of the fan areas overlap and it doesnt seem to mess it up. the only time my fans come on is if im going extreamly slow or sitting still. I say give it a try and see what happens
Old 07-25-2012, 01:08 PM
11 Second Club

im running 12 pusher fans as well they fit... do you still have the stock hood.. mabey a cowl hood would help push out some of the hot air
Old 07-25-2012, 04:33 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by TX RED
im running 12 pusher fans as well they fit... do you still have the stock hood.. mabey a cowl hood would help push out some of the hot air
stock hod, was gonna pull the cowl seal off and see what that does.
Old 07-25-2012, 04:34 PM
TECH Enthusiast

If they are offset from each other then there is no problem. If they are right in front of each other is where the problem arises.
can u try and explain why. i dont see how.
Old 07-25-2012, 04:41 PM
TECH Apprentice

I have two 10 inch pusher fans on the same radiator. at highway speeds, it sits at 160 degrees with the fans off, and i cut my air dam in half because i am lowered.
Old 07-25-2012, 08:00 PM
TECH Enthusiast

if this setup works, i cant see how my potential setup wouldnt.

you have a 16" for or whatever blowing into a shroud and thru a 12" which is fine, if it works it works.

i wanna put dual tens blowing into dual 8s and the 8s move much more air, and people dont think it will cool, idk what to think here.

Originally Posted by Bloodbath
I have a 12inch spal pusher fan up front, and a 12inch spal puller fan on the rear,
i use the ecu to control my puller, and use a temp switch i installed in the radiator for the pusher! the pusher will only come on when the puller cant handle the temps

Old 07-25-2012, 08:02 PM
TECH Enthusiast

p.s. these are my 10" ers

Name:  1343186685.jpg
Views: 5531
Size:  221.0 KB
Old 07-26-2012, 03:32 AM
9 Second Club

Received 180 Likes on 155 Posts

Very bad placement for starters. You have maybe 6-7 rows above the fans with no airflow whatsoever, and a few rows below. That's roasting hot air getting pumped straight through with no cooling whatsoever. And a gap in the middle.

Certainly looking at that, you have ample room for more fan. Even a single large fan covering more of the core would be much much better than the two small ones.
You can have fans that flow 5000cfm, but of they only blow through 15% of the core, what's the point. You'd be better with a fan of 2000cfm blowing through 80% of the core ( and yes, I'm exaggerating the numbers ), but the same reasoning applies.

Simplest test for now, stagger the fans. One top, one bottom. It will make a huge difference. You would also have room for a fan 2-3" larger than one of your current ones by staggering their positions. Both fans dont have to be the same size. A big single will almost always be more efficient than multiple small fans.
Old 07-26-2012, 07:49 AM
TECH Addict

I did the twin pushers and twin pullers and the pushers did not allow the pullers to flow what they did before. They restrict it. I tried it and it cooled better with just the pullers. Try it, but you are wasting time and money.
Old 07-26-2012, 08:28 AM
Launching!

Ahhh, got it. Looks like I did it right, because they are offset. Thanks.

Quick Reply: anyone running fans on the front AND rear of theyre radiator???