Forced Induction Superchargers | Turbochargers | Intercoolers

LS1 STS Kits??

Search this Thread

Old 07-31-2012, 11:47 AM
TECH Resident

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by HRHohio
Big question... Going forged pistons, or stock bottom?

Forged Pistons: Go with 317 heads and custom cam. Good for 800+ rwhp with lots of boost!

Stock Bottom (i.e. stock pistons): Skip the heads for now, you'll max out your pistons before you max out your stock heads. Still do the cam though, LS6 is fine for what you stated as your hp goal (500), and do the valve springs. Put the money you would have spent on heads towards a good set of 60 lb injectors, intercooler, and methanol injection.

For the turbo, I recommend either a 70mm turbo or 76mm turbo (whatever your budget can afford... I run On3 Performance... cheap/effective for my level). Limit your A/R to .81 max.

Run a front mount intercooler, eBay special is fine (biggest that will fit). Get a methanol/water injection system. With FMIC and Methanol, and a good tune, you can push 9 psi max on stock pistons, safely (~500-550 rwhp). Without FMIC and/or methanol/water injection, limit your boost to 6 psi max (450-475 rwhp). Once you go forged, you can turn it up. Stick with stock exhaust manifolds, no headers. Wrap all your exhaust from front to turbo.

Most important thing...make sure you get a good tuner.
All good advice. Although, I might go with the 317s either way. They will help keep your stock pistons alive for longer and once the stock bottom end gives out, you'll still have the 317s. Provided the bottom end doesn't take the top end with it

Lower compression + good tune + cool IATs + plenty of fuel should keep you running well for quite a while. Just don't get tempted to raise the rev limiter on that stock bottom end.

My original plan was a rear mount, but was turned off by the oiling issues. And something about those oil-less turbos fails to put my mind at ease. The cold side piping is also a bit complex. But the thought of going back and not having to modify or get rid of my power steering lines, cooling system, accessory belt, air conditioning, battery, alternator, etc is a tempting thought. I probably have 40 hours and $600 just into moving/modifying crap to make the turbo fit!
Old 07-31-2012, 02:25 PM
TECH Resident

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

This supercharger

http://www.c5racer.com/catalog/98-02...in-finish.html

and this cam - 232/240 .595''/.608 115 (EPP blower cam)

with some longtubes and an HPtuners dyno or street tune and your looking at well over 500 wheel..
Old 07-31-2012, 10:17 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

This is the thing if I put boost to my motor i will want to forge it. I just dont want anything to go wrong with my bottom end and if i want to raise the boost at all for the track it will be able to handle it.

I have also thought about going to a supercharger but i think i will like the rear mount better. Not really sure thats why i am asking you guys for the help.

Those heads look like a good set but with the cam its looking like i might have to get a custom one or if somebody tells me about one that they are using and works awesome.
Old 07-31-2012, 11:03 PM
TECH Resident

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Thackdaddy43
This is the thing if I put boost to my motor i will want to forge it. I just dont want anything to go wrong with my bottom end and if i want to raise the boost at all for the track it will be able to handle it.

I have also thought about going to a supercharger but i think i will like the rear mount better. Not really sure thats why i am asking you guys for the help.

Those heads look like a good set but with the cam its looking like i might have to get a custom one or if somebody tells me about one that they are using and works awesome.
I keep telling you...

EPP blower cam.. makes great power N/A and even better under boost...

Quick Reply: LS1 STS Kits??