Forced Induction Superchargers | Turbochargers | Intercoolers

eBay head studs with ARP specs... ? Comment please...

Search this Thread

Old 08-04-2012, 10:13 AM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default eBay head studs with ARP specs... ? Comment please...

Has anyone used these head studs?? I would like to know good or bad about these. They have the same exact specs as the ARP brand, but of course ARP has a proven brand...

I would just like some thoughts about these...

http://outboundlink.me/ib.php?DR_id=...&outtime=52115
Old 08-04-2012, 10:28 AM
Launching!

not saying that they wouldnt work, but why chance it?

Last edited by Outlaw666; 01-06-2014 at 10:24 AM.
Old 08-04-2012, 10:35 AM
TECH Resident

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

666 is correct. You know you are getting a good product when you buy the ARP fasteners.
Old 08-04-2012, 11:06 AM
Launching!

There would be no doubt about the ARP's...

Has anyone out there ran these with serious boost???? 20+ lbs???
Old 08-04-2012, 11:13 AM
9 Second Club

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

^I haven't heard of anyone using those. If you are building a car for 20+ psi I'd get something proven like the ARP's. I know ARP has to pay for the name, but at the same time the cost of their studs is in the material they used.
Old 08-04-2012, 11:28 AM
Launching!

Yea I agree with ARP having to pay for their name and materials. At the same time I wonder why the eBay studs claim to have the same strength and same material. Just a thought.
Old 08-04-2012, 11:29 AM
TECH Resident

If you've spent enough money to have the amount of power that requires headstuds, I would definitely spend the extra $200 and get proven ones. Some parts are worth the gamble at times, these are not.
Old 08-04-2012, 11:45 AM
9 Second Club

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

The way I look at it is that having a higher hp turbo car is asking for problems. Might as well lessen the amount of problems you may have by getting superior parts now.
Old 08-04-2012, 11:59 AM
TECH Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by AlterEgo
Yea I agree with ARP having to pay for their name and materials. At the same time I wonder why the eBay studs claim to have the same strength and same material. Just a thought.
If it's on the internet, it has to be true. Right?
Old 08-04-2012, 01:27 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 70 Likes on 62 Posts

Thumbs up Yep!

Originally Posted by thehazz12
If it's on the internet, it has to be true. Right?
Especially, if it's on the bag....
Old 08-04-2012, 01:54 PM
TECH Fanatic

I wouldn't run them .

But people make ARP seem like their bolts won't break. It does happen.
Old 08-04-2012, 01:58 PM
11 Second Club

Its more then just name and material, it's the process.. I'm an aerospace process engineer, my job is to build a process that will yeild the same results time and time again no matter what idiot I put on the job. That's what places like Honeywell,Raytheon,and G.E. want and expect.. That's what you get when you buy arp... a proven process that comes from years of experience. I'll pay alittle more knowing I'm getting the best product out there, rather then buying some chinese steel knock with no process control or Quality Assurance!

I'll never understand why the hell someone would you dump thousands into a forced induction setup and use used bolts or some chinese junk then bitch when "I lifted the heads with 14 psi" stick to your vtech motors ..
Old 08-04-2012, 02:00 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

The numbers aren't the whole story. The rated tensile strength is of that particular alloy of metal. What you should worry about is where they get this metal, and how likely it is that the metal has defects which can significantly reduce the studs' strength. Is comes down to quality control really. With ARP, you can be certain you're getting a quality product that has been tested. With the eBay studs, sure its the same alloy, but that's a small part of the story. You don't want to spend a day trying to fish a broken stud out of your block.

With that said, you will probably have good results with the eBay studs, many have, but many of us would rather spend the extra money for piece of mind.
Old 08-04-2012, 04:36 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by needaz28
Its more then just name and material, it's the process.. I'm an aerospace process engineer, my job is to build a process that will yeild the same results time and time again no matter what idiot I put on the job. That's what places like Honeywell,Raytheon,and G.E. want and expect.. That's what you get when you buy arp... a proven process that comes from years of experience. I'll pay alittle more knowing I'm getting the best product out there, rather then buying some chinese steel knock with no process control or Quality Assurance!

I'll never understand why the hell someone would you dump thousands into a forced induction setup and use used bolts or some chinese junk then bitch when "I lifted the heads with 14 psi" stick to your vtech motors ..
Thats what I am asking, where are all the people has HAVE run these type of studs with poor results?? I heard of one person using these studs with decent boost for 9000 miles now with no problems at all. (certainly no bitching with this person!)
Old 08-04-2012, 04:37 PM
9 Second Club

Received 179 Likes on 154 Posts

Of course on the other hand, there are quite a few places that make studs and fasteners to the same level or even higher spec than ARP.

Although I rather doubt they would be selling on ebay, and at such a low price.

Stick with ARP unless an alternative has a proven track record like ARP.
Old 08-04-2012, 04:51 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by needaz28

Personally, I have a all stock 4.8 motor that I am going to boost.. Its a fact that the stock motor can handle decent boost all alone... Even if I did chance these cheap studs, big deal.. Its a $500 motor, that I actually paid too much for! IMO, these studs certainly should be more sturdy than the just the stock studs...
Old 08-04-2012, 04:53 PM
Launching!

Besides, I really dont think I will even use them.. I just wanted opinions on them...

Soooooo... Users of these studs please comment... Im sure someone out there will find this info usefull!
Old 08-04-2012, 04:54 PM
9 Second Club

Received 179 Likes on 154 Posts

Use em and let us know how it goes lol
Old 08-04-2012, 05:01 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by stevieturbo
I might just do that! Since I havent heard anything "bad" from personal experience yet...

I look at it like this... Gives me a reason to buy a 6.0L if it blows my heads off!! LOL...

BAD EXPERIENCE WITH THESE STUDS ANYONE?????????????????

ANYONE AT ALL?????
Old 08-04-2012, 05:02 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by stevieturbo
what studs are you running Turbo Steve?????? lol

Quick Reply: eBay head studs with ARP specs... ? Comment please...