Forced Induction Superchargers | Turbochargers | Intercoolers

My observations and opinions of current street/strip turbo LS trends.

Search this Thread

Old 08-18-2012, 12:08 PM
TECH Addict

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by Sarg
With the Borg Warner S400 series being so cheap I don't know why anyone would bother with tiny turbine wheels and trying to upgrade a small turbo. Let that engine breath a bit with a larger turbine single or twin T4 turbos.
Sometimes its not all about all out power and drag racing. I chose a PT76 for the quicker spool for road course and auto x events. A big BW would have added more weight to the front of the car and spooled slower even with the same size compressor and turbine wheels.
Old 08-18-2012, 12:13 PM
TECH Addict

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

You might be surprised. The wheel design on those turbos is pretty cool. I have seen larger wheel BW units outspool smaller turbos. It is not all about how small a turbo you have, but also how efficient the turbine and compressor wheels are.
Old 08-18-2012, 12:58 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Martin@Tick
Turbine is still the choke point.
well that i know that. i shouldve quoted the post about the twin turbo setup with GN turbos. clarifying my question is, are there turbine and compressor wheels out there that can be put in those smaller housings but flow a little more and still have the same insane spool? i mean the GN turbos are 80's tech and turbo compressor/turbine wheels have come quite a long way or is it the housing itself that becomes the issue more than the hunk of spinning metal no matter the design?
Old 08-18-2012, 01:19 PM
TECH Addict

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Wnts2Go10O
well that i know that. i shouldve quoted the post about the twin turbo setup with GN turbos. clarifying my question is, are there turbine and compressor wheels out there that can be put in those smaller housings but flow a little more and still have the same insane spool? i mean the GN turbos are 80's tech and turbo compressor/turbine wheels have come quite a long way or is it the housing itself that becomes the issue more than the hunk of spinning metal no matter the design?
The problem with engineering a new wheel set is there will be machine work required to make the most out of the units. Looks at the EVO world where you can pay $2k for a stock framed turbo! You can get a new unit (even a much bigger one) for less.
Old 08-18-2012, 01:47 PM
TECH Veteran

Originally Posted by chuntington101
The problem with engineering a new wheel set is there will be machine work required to make the most out of the units. Looks at the EVO world where you can pay $2k for a stock framed turbo! You can get a new unit (even a much bigger one) for less.
im thinking out loud within the confines of the subject of this thread
Old 08-18-2012, 11:39 PM
TECH Addict

im thinking out loud within the confines of the subject of this thread
No problems. Didn't mean to sound a dick.
Old 08-19-2012, 12:25 AM
TECH Veteran

No problems. Didn't mean to sound a dick.
u didnt. just slightly off topic

this thread makes me wonder about some of the subaru upgrade turbos..
Old 08-19-2012, 04:23 AM
TECH Addict

u didnt. just slightly off topic

this thread makes me wonder about some of the subaru upgrade turbos..
Yeah I was also thinking about either scooby or evo turbos. I know the eves have funny Exhaust flange pattern.
Old 08-19-2012, 12:20 PM
FormerVendor

Received 15 Likes on 10 Posts

Yes there are better designed wheels out there for sure now.

Anyone seen the batmo wheels offered in the Bullseye Power line of turbo's?

If you take a look at Honeywell's website the design is directly related to their jet turbines they use. Trickle down effect in regards to technology.

Intimd8 would be a better person to ask about the different designs on the smaller turbine stuff as I have no where near the amount of knowledge he does on those applications.

I am a single turbo kinda guy, but really enjoy a well matched set of twins when the budget allows, which the majority seem to be able to afford a single set-up easier.
Old 08-19-2012, 01:51 PM
TECH Veteran

Originally Posted by Martin@Tick
Yes there are better designed wheels out there for sure now.

Anyone seen the batmo wheels offered in the Bullseye Power line of turbo's?

If you take a look at Honeywell's website the design is directly related to their jet turbines they use. Trickle down effect in regards to technology.

Intimd8 would be a better person to ask about the different designs on the smaller turbine stuff as I have no where near the amount of knowledge he does on those applications.

I am a single turbo kinda guy, but really enjoy a well matched set of twins when the budget allows, which the majority seem to be able to afford a single set-up easier.
im sure he'll weigh in when he posts again.

the fact that the blade tech is progressing to a point that they are miniaturizing (basically) Turbofan jet engine blades is a phenomenal (and seemingly obvious) thing. i believe phil is using something similar on his renegade car.

if one could just get those turbines to flow more without sacrificing much spool, if any, would be killer on that gn twin setup.
Old 08-19-2012, 02:15 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by madmax4499
what kind of combo or set up did you design your TU-3 cam for?
I'm also interested in this.
Old 08-19-2012, 04:09 PM
TECH Addict

im sure he'll weigh in when he posts again.

the fact that the blade tech is progressing to a point that they are miniaturizing (basically) Turbofan jet engine blades is a phenomenal (and seemingly obvious) thing. i believe phil is using something similar on his renegade car.

if one could just get those turbines to flow more without sacrificing much spool, if any, would be killer on that gn twin setup.
Axel flow turbines should offer a significant drop in wheel weight as there is no need for the backing plate part of the wheel. The turbines will run at higher rpm and thus the use of smaller twin sided compressor wheels. Should mean higher efficiencies as the speeds are higher.
Old 08-19-2012, 06:45 PM
TECH Veteran

Axel flow turbines should offer a significant drop in wheel weight as there is no need for the backing plate part of the wheel. The turbines will run at higher rpm and thus the use of smaller twin sided compressor wheels. Should mean higher efficiencies as the speeds are higher.
the next question is, who would or does make such an animal for the GN turbo
Old 08-20-2012, 11:11 AM
LS1Tech Co-Founder

Received 1,175 Likes on 764 Posts

Originally Posted by pwrtrip75
Right, and no disrespect intended. Im referring to the fact that a lot of people are misguided and the little info that would steer them on the right path isnt going to hurt you at all....that is what was talked about in the original post.. right? The recipes you guys use for your faster and custom cars by all means I wouldnt and no one should expect you to just dish that info out. Im just saying if you are on here all the time, you obviously has some time to spare. And helping out the smaller guy only makes you look good.

I was more referring to Reckless and his post about not giving out tech here.. on a tech site. He stated that

But he has time to be a moderator? This makes perfect sense.
Marty, Kurt (427) has given out tons of advice to the scene over the years, he's been involved in LS stuff, posting and sharing, talking at the track, over the phone since the early 2000's. I think you took his post wrong.

It's like the little retailing I've done with wheels as I'm a Weld and Billet Specialties dealer. I'm happy to give folks some thoughts, but asking me what part number to order and then not ordering it from me even though I shot a competitive price is no good.

Shops make money on parts, and labor (building stuff) as we all know. Asking for part numbers on fitments is very appropriate on boards, but when you get into stuff like setting up the shortblock, etc., specing the whole combo shops will go broke being a tech hotline.

I was hanging out with Kurt at Milan this weekend and we were talking about converters and he was happy to chat for a bit. But if someone came up and said what longblock setup would you run, he'd say great let's chat and get something going.
Old 08-20-2012, 12:28 PM
TECH Addict

the next question is, who would or does make such an animal for the GN turbo
Keep you eye on the exotic market and when they arrive add another 5years before you see them in the aftermarket scene! Its a bit like vnt. It's going to be a while before you can buy a turbo off the shelf with this tech.
Old 08-20-2012, 01:31 PM
TECH Veteran

Keep you eye on the exotic market and when they arrive add another 5years before you see them in the aftermarket scene! Its a bit like vnt. It's going to be a while before you can buy a turbo off the shelf with this tech.
Old 08-20-2012, 03:10 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Holy flyin' feces Batman what is that? Looks like a part of a high speed windwill to me.
Old 08-20-2012, 03:39 PM
TECH Veteran

Originally Posted by N2OBaby
Holy flyin' feces Batman what is that? Looks like a part of a high speed windwill to me.
THAT is an axial flow turbine. BASICALLY, they took Turbofan engine technology and shrunk it. super light, super fast spool, etc. id expect the next trick would be to have blades that can change pitch while running. something like that stuck in a smaller turbo housing would make twin setups absolute insanity.

look familiar?
Old 08-20-2012, 04:15 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Id imagine turbos of the present are going to be antiques soon ...
Old 08-20-2012, 04:18 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Chicago TDP
Id imagine turbos of the present are going to be antiques soon ...
2X there!!!

Quick Reply: My observations and opinions of current street/strip turbo LS trends.