Forced Induction Superchargers | Turbochargers | Intercoolers

My observations and opinions of current street/strip turbo LS trends.

Search this Thread

Old 08-15-2012, 03:50 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

To be honest, getting a database with combinations should HELP businesses out in many ways.
It could promote people to see the power made by engine/turbo combinations.
This in turn would then spark their interest to take their 400 HP N/A car and bump it up to 650 HP F/I without affecting street-ability.
Also, if a person came to vendor or shop to ask and see proof that a car with a 370 CI LS and 88mm turbo can make 900+ HP, they could show their proof and proof of other cars.

I suppose there are Pro's and Con's to it all.
Mainly, I see the benefits to car enthusiasts more then vendors.

But again, I see a true gear head always making his combo work and exhausting all efforts on his own.
If a guy wants to build a car, he will.
For those that do not have the means to build and tune, they can at least benefit by seeing combos that work and the true power potentials.

I support placed like Speed Inc.
I have bought parts through them and hope to get my car dyno'd there.
They are a great business and I have no need to run them out of work.
Heck, I talked with Jim (saw him yesterday) and told him how jealous I am of what they (he) does.
In my eyes, they build some amazing cars, just like all of the reputable shops that show their talent and craftsmanship on this site.
Old 08-16-2012, 03:41 AM
Launching!

a lot of good info in here, thanks for the info guys!

Martin you will be hearing from me soon
Old 08-16-2012, 05:31 AM
TECH Addict

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by Reckless
Well we don't share much tech info here
This is ls1tech.com, I know the name might be a bit deceiving, but do you think that some people might think there is "tech info" shared here? And maybe that is what this site is about? Just a thought... I know its early.
Old 08-16-2012, 08:05 AM
FormerVendor

Received 15 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by Outlaw666
a lot of good info in here, thanks for the info guys!

Martin you will be hearing from me soon
I'll be waiting!
Old 08-16-2012, 08:34 AM
TECH Veteran

Received 15 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by pwrtrip75
This is ls1tech.com, I know the name might be a bit deceiving, but do you think that some people might think there is "tech info" shared here? And maybe that is what this site is about? Just a thought... I know its early.
Bingo
Old 08-16-2012, 12:03 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

I have helped some people that need it, mostly when they are struggling with something.
I have some information that I gain working on LS engines that I do not "give" out. I use it to make my engines more durable or more powerful, then I sell them to customers. The profit from this allows me to continue testing new products and feed, cloth and buy health insurance for my two sons. I feed myself also. This is what Todd (who works here also) means when he says we don't share tech.

Kurt
Old 08-16-2012, 12:43 PM
TECH Addict

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by 427
I have helped some people that need it, mostly when they are struggling with something.
I have some information that I gain working on LS engines that I do not "give" out. I use it to make my engines more durable or more powerful, then I sell them to customers. The profit from this allows me to continue testing new products and feed, cloth and buy health insurance for my two sons. I feed myself also. This is what Todd (who works here also) means when he says we don't share tech.

Kurt
So in other words, its cool to rant and complain about what people are doing wrong on a "tech" site but only help them if they want to spend money?

Helping people make right decisions wont do anything for a business but help it. Good word travels... bad words travel faster...
Old 08-16-2012, 12:55 PM
FormerVendor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Kurt is one of the most knowledgeable guys on this board and he has helped a ton of people including myself.

I think his post was very fair and accurate.
Old 08-16-2012, 01:24 PM
Coal Mining Director

Jim and Kurt are two of the nicest guys you'll ever meet. Do a search on their names and you will see that they provide a lot of free tech on this board also.

TopGuns in their field.

They get 90% of my business.
Old 08-16-2012, 01:35 PM
TECH Regular

I'd guess Kurt will help you with parts selection but not the little tricks he does when he builds it. Just buy your parts from him.
Cam selection, bearing choice, clearances, and modifications are some of the tricks he may not tell you about.

He builds motors/cars for a living. If he wanted to sell a lot of parts his site would look like TSPs' and he'd be in here all the time pimping his stuff.

I haven't seen him rant or even comment on others rant's.
At least he doesn't come in a say something like "that's not how I do it" and then leave everyone hanging.

Haters are everywhere.
Old 08-16-2012, 01:39 PM
10 Second Club

I appreciate when guys Like Kurt and Jim post sharing some of their knowledge and experience. I understand it's a business and try and spend money at the shops that come on here and help.

Just about every purchase I've made has come from a sponsor of tech and with that they've shared their knowledge when required to help me out. Just a few weeks ago Jim answered a couple of questions I had about how my Tu2 cam needed more ignition timing at 2K rpm to clear up a slight stumble in light throttle.
Old 08-16-2012, 02:08 PM
Super Moderator

Received 33 Likes on 17 Posts

So in other words, its cool to rant and complain about what people are doing wrong on a "tech" site but only help them if they want to spend money?

Helping people make right decisions wont do anything for a business but help it. Good word travels... bad words travel faster...
All I meant was that if we spend so much time helping people on the Internet and over the phone, we will not pay the bills. Working for free is not how to run a successful business. If you had a business would you sit around giving free advice three or four hours a day? Or spend your time an efforts on projects that pay yours bills and expand your business?

Anyone that knows Kurt will tell you this, "If you ask him a 5-minute question you will get a 20-minute answer." You won't find many more knowledgeable, and this puts serious demands on his time. We want our work to speak for us, not our Internet activity.
Old 08-16-2012, 02:18 PM
9 Second Club

I'd have to say in my bazillion years dealing with various vendors on LS1tech, Kurt and KUP have never "tried to sell me something" when i have contacted them. You'll see way too many vendors on here offer their part and website rather than discuss Tech and so on in a thread on here. Then again, like KUP said, they have to pay the bills!

I will say just a few small things that Kurt have discussed with me have been instrumental in my program on my car! He knows his stuff!
Old 08-16-2012, 03:12 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

You think it might seem unfair that Kurt doensn't share the little things that help his integrity in the business but in all reality his post was fair and just.

Just like I said in my previous post. There are things you will need to find out on your own or you will have to pay someone who does know. I do both.
Old 08-16-2012, 03:38 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

I don't think I often rant and complain, but your post previous and this one are not very likely to make people contribute help for your cause. This "tech" site also will follow some social rules.

Kurt

Old 08-16-2012, 04:28 PM
FormerVendor

Originally Posted by INTMD8
Kurt is one of the most knowledgeable guys on this board and he has helped a ton of people including myself.

I think his post was very fair and accurate.
Who is this Kurt Urban you speak of?

Never heard of him
Old 08-16-2012, 04:31 PM
TECH Fanatic

You guys wanting help from a well respected builder need to keep in mind that they don't have any experience with on3 turbos and other junk like that. So if you need help with your junk yard build these guys like kurt aren't the guys to be asking.
Old 08-16-2012, 04:41 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by 2000RATA
You guys wanting help from a well respected builder need to keep in mind that they don't have any experience with on3 turbos and other junk like that. So if you need help with your junk yard build these guys like kurt aren't the guys to be asking.
I think this is an area that we can pull collective information together and generate a nice database to prove what works and what does not!
I'd like to help my fellow car enthusiasts out by showing them what works.
All those guys trying crazy combos sometimes stumble upon very creative solutions.
It is almost like what CarCraft showed with their test motor that boosted and made awesome numbers on very low $$$
Old 08-16-2012, 04:47 PM
FormerVendor

I don't have near the reputation that Kurt Urban or Speed Inc. does, but I have had several(4-5 if not more) people call or email me since this thread went up and most are very pleased with the information given and the time I've spent with them just explaining this stuff.

As the other sponsors have said just call the shops you trust or respect and ask their honest opinion. We can't be on the forums all day answering every single question on a whim, but if you would put the time into putting together a well thought out e-mail or just call I'm sure the other sponsors would have no problem answering your questions as would I.
Old 08-16-2012, 04:54 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by Martin@Tick
Who is this Kurt Urban you speak of?

Never heard of him
He is only the Chuck Norris of LS engine building.

Quick Reply: My observations and opinions of current street/strip turbo LS trends.