Forced Induction Superchargers | Turbochargers | Intercoolers

Paging ATI owners...help with ATI crank bolt ASAP!

Search this Thread

Old 04-05-2004, 07:11 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 61 Likes on 48 Posts
LS1Tech 20 Year Member
Default Paging ATI owners...help with ATI crank bolt ASAP!

I bought a used block which had a ATI ProCharger installed on it earlier in it's life. I wasn't aware of this until we attempted to torque down my new crank bolt.

I haven't seen it first hand, but the installer is indicating to me that the stock bolt basically slides into the snout. Almost like a larger diameter bolt was used previously. The original owner says he had to wait a long time it get the special crank bolt from ATI. The installer is skeptical on the reason that the bolt is needed. He thinks it may have been stripped and the longer bolt was needed to get access to additional threads.

So what's the scoop on this? Why the need for the ATI bolt? Would my symptoms be expected after using the ATI bolt in the block? Can I re-use the original ATI bolt? What do I need to get this friggin' pulley back on safely?

This is my daily driver which has been down for 4 weeks, and this is really getting to be a hassle!
Old 04-05-2004, 07:31 PM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

sounds bad. the bolt that comes with the blower is just longer. not bigger in diameter.

sounds like the previous guy chewed up the crank snout and re-tapped it.
Old 04-06-2004, 11:50 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Yea, thats not good......can they tap the crank inside the motor, I was reading somewhere else that it needs to be pulled out if you mess up the threads......

The ATI bolt is longer, and now I'm finding out that they are good for one torquing shot......
Old 04-07-2004, 07:07 AM

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
LS1Tech 20 Year Member

The ATI bolt is needed only to account for the extra length needed by adding the crank pulley. They provide spacers (washers) so you can customize for the ineveitable differences between vheicles' needs.

The bolt is no bigger.