Forced Induction Superchargers | Turbochargers | Intercoolers

precision tubo, Rubbish?

Search this Thread

Old 08-30-2012, 12:57 PM
9 Second Club

Received 179 Likes on 154 Posts

Originally Posted by snip
I just thought id update my findings with this turbo.
With our ls1's here in australia alot of the sumps have the hump on the front, and the oil filter on the front. Above the oil filter , there is a provision to get oil pressure to the sports models that have a sports gauge on the dash, different to the oil low light.
This is the port that ive been using for 8 months now, and after the first pt88 blew up beacause the wheels were pushing forward, {wrongly reccomended by precision dealer},
the current pt8847 lasted about 3000 miles and the bearings packed it in. Apparently , not sufficient oil.
On the same side of the sump, at the rear, there is another port from which you can get an oil feed, its actually joined insid the sump to the fron port, BUT ive just found out that the rear port shows, and has twice as much pressure than the front port!!!
I dont know why, but its a fact, This is most probably why tyhe turbo failed.
So my apologies to precision
The US GTO's have the same layout as the Aussie cars.

For my supercharger, I took the oil feed from the main gallery where the oil sender would normally be. Obviously you would want to retain that, so just get a tee fitting or adaptor so you can have the OEM sender and a takeoff for an oil feed, which is a proper filtered supply from the main gallery
Old 08-30-2012, 05:10 PM
SSZ
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Geez. Something seems strange there. Maybe i am wrong. BUt, i would think the pressure should be the same seeing as they are joined. Did you mean volume. I might be thinking backwards here????? Insufficient oil sounds like it may be volume of oil to me???? Maybe some relief of some sort in that connection causing the diff in pressure???? Maybe someone can set me straight here. Just doesnt make sense to me.
Old 08-30-2012, 07:37 PM
8 Second Club

No, it doesnt make sense to me either, the only thing i can think of is that the gasket thats inside is maybe not sealing, but i dont know.
Old 08-30-2012, 09:36 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by Martin@Tick
I would bet your car would pick up 5-6mph+ on similar boost levels with a BW S475 T4 92mm turbine and even more with a T6 96mm wheel.

Just my opinion.

Your car sounds like it runs good though.
not saying like an a**hat just makin it clear that i know what would make me be faster, i'm on a very tiny bugdet (married, mortage, children and the wrong hobbie). with heads and an s400 80mm billet wheel will put me in the next level i want. i'll get one when i'm rich and famous.
not that your advice isnt true. (for the record)
Old 09-01-2012, 12:27 AM
On The Tree

I believe 90% of all turbo failures are due to supporting issues.
wrong BOV location, improper oil feed or return ect ect.

Its not a surprise that almost all turbo failure threads are on new combos or setups and hardly ever on car that have ran one turbo for years and switched to another.

But it sounds as if you've got it kinda figured out.

Good luck

Quick Reply: precision tubo, Rubbish?