Forced Induction Superchargers | Turbochargers | Intercoolers

ProTree Racing Camaro build thread

Search this Thread

Old 09-25-2012, 11:18 PM
FormerVendor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default ProTree Racing Camaro build thread

Well the turbo build has been going on for over a year now, so I have a TON to update yall with, I will do it when i can.

Short story is I got this car 8 years ago

Few lt1 problems and a rebuild, cam longtubes and converter and built trans I had the car running 6.90s in the 1/8

I got tired and wanted to go faster, so i took on the ls1 swap, cam only and 200 shot and went 6.30s, I then swapped it for a 347/afr 205 combo, 225 shot and quickly broke the 60e output shaft, sent it back to my builder(trans had about 600 passes on it without issues) and about 2500 bux, and he dropped of the face of the earth. At this point I just opened ProTree, got busy and let the car sit.

Last edited by ProTreeRacing; 09-26-2012 at 12:12 AM.
Old 09-25-2012, 11:32 PM
FormerVendor

Little over a year later I knew i wanted to go turbo, had a tial 50mm BOV and HKS 60mm GATE, had a bws480 and started the build. The goal for the build is the stockest look as possible, no cowl hood/hood pins, simple clean stock looking low camaro, and keeping the lt1 front. I want it to be STREET FRIENDLY, keep a big tank, and a car that wont overheat i can drive 100 miles if i want. I was inspired by Fireballs car, and tried to do stuff similar if possible.

Now that i have the inspiration and goals, I started mocking stuff up, using as many of my old parts that i could. I already picked up a forged ls2 shortblock off tech here, had my afr205 from the nitrous setup and ls6 intake and got started, moved alternator, got some truck manifolds and got a built glide for the car, it already has a 9 inch.

I Immediately found fireballs old fi98x and picked it up. I moved my radiator back and tried mocking thigs up.

After a bunch of thinking, I wanted to keep the big radiator, knew i needed room for downpipe and hotside/coldside and A2W ic, this wouldent work. So i changed it, and started off with something like this.
Old 09-25-2012, 11:48 PM
FormerVendor

Then i had to put on my wastegate with good priority for launching with low boost, and stock hood latch, so no pins and the a2w ic.

You can also see the water lines for the IC,

Old 09-26-2012, 12:01 AM
FormerVendor

After a ton of small things like modifying the intercooler for bigger fittings, finish welding, painting, installing eb2, making some custom water tanks, installed the secind trans cooler, making the radiator all screw on fittings, tripple walbros with a -10 feed, and modifying the water pump twice for a radiator cap, i had a sucessful swap.

Car back together with the bumper on, ready togo

We quickly maxed out the 80 lb injectors, at 16 psi we made 720 through the glide and 9 inch, dissapointed to say the least. Along with having an issue that the car wouldent pull past 5800.

Took it to the track and quickly found out that the trans wasnt happy, 1st gear slipped bad,
still think the car went a 9.80 @145 mostly on the big end of the track

finally got the car to 60 decent and went a 6.10 at 120
http://youtu.be/wBWVGiT1OEo

Last edited by ProTreeRacing; 09-26-2012 at 11:18 PM.
Old 09-26-2012, 10:46 PM
FormerVendor

So my drum of c16 ran out, i wanted to spin this thing 7500 or more, and wanted it to be more street friendly, so i decited to get big injectors and run it on e85, so i got some 160s, and a driver box, and put it on e85, and i knew at the power level my injectors were capable of it would push water.

We knew it was fast enough already, so we put a cage in it, had a local guy install a wolfe cage

Wiring nightmare i need to fix this winter.

After i got the interrior back in.

So i tore the motor down, had a local machine shop o ring the heads, and reciever the block,

got some comp lifters and cam, found some jesel rockers, put it all back together

Also found out arp studs wont do 100ft lb with arp moly lube

and started tuning, after a few days we dynoed it and couldent lean it out, and going down the track it was pig rich.

So i took the car back home, decited to buy some bosch 2000cc injectors.

I got them put them in, did some tuning and bam, can ran great, got the tune dialed in, and was gettin ready to take the car down to tx2k12, i wanted to make 1000-1100 on the dyno, i figured that would get the car trapping in the 165 range, we immediately were happy with e85, before we were on 16 pounds and made 720, now on 13 pounds we made 860, and spooled a 1000rpm faster! i was excited, we worked our way up to 16, i think i made 980, so we went to 18, and the car spiked to 21, made 1060 halfway through the pull, and pushed water.

http://youtu.be/4zYNjYpVurE

We were going to back it down and run it, but after it pushed with the copper gaskets, it wouldent seal back up, at 10 [si it was pushing, after teardown, the head bolts held fine, it was the actual afr heads that flexed, letting it push water.

Next update will be the good part, ill get yall guys up to speed.

ERL superdeck block, huge heads going for 7's!!!

Last edited by ProTreeRacing; 09-26-2012 at 11:24 PM.
Old 09-27-2012, 01:00 PM
Launching!

I was at LG once when this was getting tuned. It sounded mean! Congrats man.
Old 09-27-2012, 01:20 PM
TECH Fanatic

Love the LT1 body style. Looks so much better than the 98+, personal opinion. Awesome car!
Old 10-01-2012, 11:40 PM
FormerVendor

So i knew we were going bigger, and had to think if i wanted to stay cathedral, or square port, and came down to the conclusion with the untimate goal of the car, and budget, it was going to stay cathedral. I quickly saw these when i was considering some MAST heads, and snatched them up

ETP 265cc

With a set of jesels.

and had the trans torn down and went thou

Having that decited, i now needed to source out some C5R valve covers to use with these heads, and needed a shortblock. So i got in touch with ERL through Louis at LG Motorsports(tuner), and got an ERL 427 Double o-Ring'd motor on order. Sent them the heads to be o-ringed, and after a LONG LONG wait, we finally got it here..

Pics of those goodies soon
Old 10-02-2012, 12:52 AM
8 Second Truck Club

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

That stud should not have broke at 100 lbs
Old 01-29-2013, 05:49 PM
TECH Resident

Been a while, but any updates? 6-Bolt Motor?

Quick Reply: ProTree Racing Camaro build thread