Forced Induction Superchargers | Turbochargers | Intercoolers

max boost on pump gas?

Search this Thread

Old 10-15-2012, 10:15 AM
TECH Addict

Received 106 Likes on 89 Posts

im also interested in the thread... minus the little pissing match in between. im trying to keep my turbo build as simple as possible within reason of course. the less added support systems, the better.
Old 10-15-2012, 06:23 PM
TECH Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by mchdg86
Wow you sound like a dick head. You do know that a 4.0 whipple flows about the same as an F2 procharger which can make more than your 1200 hp?
Why don't you blow me.. how does that sound?? I didn't see you state what your FI setup has on it.. of wait... you ran 12's?? hahah wow.. yeah.. I take your advise.. This is exactly why i stop posted on this site long ago.. to many wantabees and keyboard warriors with bad info that have never done anything but talk about it.. At least the OP, however dumb he may be, has a FI setup.. you just stay on the sidelines hugging someone else ***** ok.. and dream..
Old 10-15-2012, 06:58 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by joshtownsend
Why don't you blow me.. how does that sound?? I didn't see you state what your FI setup has on it.. of wait... you ran 12's?? hahah wow.. yeah.. I take your advise.. This is exactly why i stop posted on this site long ago.. to many wantabees and keyboard warriors with bad info that have never done anything but talk about it.. At least the OP, however dumb he may be, has a FI setup.. you just stay on the sidelines hugging someone else ***** ok.. and dream..
Damn so much anger lol. Typical vette douche with a superiority complex also.
Old 10-15-2012, 07:15 PM
TECH Addict

sooooooo.....
to steer this back in the direction it needs to be....
we all can pretty much agree that a decent size intercooler is a must if you want your engine to survive multiple amounts of WOT boosted runs. with boost in mind with 91-93 pump gas, which pretty much EVERYONE with LS motors run since it recommends it on the gascap from the factory and generally is widely excepted as better to run on when boosted, what are resonable levels of boost guaged around a 9.5 CR since thats the inbtween CR area that most people seem to be running when running boost on street cars.
and dude, if you run 87 gas boosted and runnning good times, all the props to you, but most of us would like it if the discussion got streered back to most peoples applications that run on 91-93 range on the street.
Old 10-15-2012, 07:18 PM
TECH Resident

20psi here 8:1 compression
Old 10-15-2012, 08:03 PM
TECH Addict

thats more of what we need. is that on pump or race gas though lol
Old 10-15-2012, 08:09 PM
TECH Resident

93 oct. A2W intercooler
Old 10-15-2012, 08:50 PM
On The Tree

ran 15psi with 15degrees of timing on straight 93 with A2A IC
Old 10-15-2012, 09:51 PM
TECH Addict

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by JoshuaGrooms83
sooooooo.....
to steer this back in the direction it needs to be....
we all can pretty much agree that a decent size intercooler is a must if you want your engine to survive multiple amounts of WOT boosted runs. with boost in mind with 91-93 pump gas, which pretty much EVERYONE with LS motors run since it recommends it on the gascap from the factory and generally is widely excepted as better to run on when boosted, what are resonable levels of boost guaged around a 9.5 CR since thats the inbtween CR area that most people seem to be running when running boost on street cars.
and dude, if you run 87 gas boosted and runnning good times, all the props to you, but most of us would like it if the discussion got streered back to most peoples applications that run on 91-93 range on the street.

I don't neccisarily agree. You don have to run an intercooler at all, or even that octane level. It all depends on your setup and boost. Intercooling, meth, high octane fuel, race gas, and lowering the CR are all ways to keep away from detonation. They don't all have to be done. Just what is necissary per the setup.
Old 10-16-2012, 01:29 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by joshtownsend
Your right.. im wrong.. but you wont see me asking any questions on a board because im the guy doing it.. not talking about it.. When you make over 1200 on 87.. or 93 or 110 for that matter , let me know... because I did

Tell you what, Ill be in Abu Dabi sometime next year, ill come see this heat box scream and make all of about 850.
LMFAO, maybe if you wouldn't have filled up your **** box with 87 I wouldn't have drug your *** on just under 900 HP vs. your 1200 HP. Good times! Wait till you line up with me again......
Old 10-16-2012, 02:06 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by CALL911
I don't neccisarily agree. You don have to run an intercooler at all, or even that octane level. It all depends on your setup and boost. Intercooling, meth, high octane fuel, race gas, and lowering the CR are all ways to keep away from detonation. They don't all have to be done. Just what is necissary per the setup.
i do agree with you, you dont HAVE to, but to run a more complete and capable car, a system with all the proper components will run alot more effeciently then missing one or more components or lowering the quality of items, such as gas.
AS you say though, the setup dictates the need for types of parts.
Old 10-16-2012, 04:24 PM
TECH Addict

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by JoshuaGrooms83
i do agree with you, you dont HAVE to, but to run a more complete and capable car, a system with all the proper components will run alot more effeciently then missing one or more components or lowering the quality of items, such as gas.
AS you say though, the setup dictates the need for types of parts.
Proper components don't mean all of them. Its whatever your car needs for boost/timing and keeping cool enough away from detonation. If just 93 octane, and meth injection do it, adding race gas and an intercooler are simply a waste of money.

Theoretically, you could just make it all up with CR, and run just premium gas, and no meth, no intercooler or race gas.

My point is that a car without an intercooler is not lagging if it is running away from detonation. I think I've made my point clear by now. I just wanted you to understand that not every component is necissary.
Old 10-16-2012, 07:58 PM
TECH Addict

I fully understand your point. everything is realitive. but even you can agree that for most noobs around here, they would be wise to learn and apply the basics first.
the old "you gotta learn the rules before you break em" theory. funny a music teach talk me that long ago and it applys to pretty much everything in life. that and the KISS method.
ive always been taught that any heat you can get out of the intake before it hit the combustion chamber is a benefit over all to power.
I myself am using a large FMIC, 93 pump gas, 317heads (9.7ish CR with LS9 gaskets), rear mounted with a T76 to get everything going. but thats for my mild street setup. sticking to under 650hp. Like you say, its all in setup
Old 10-16-2012, 09:30 PM

Received 31 Likes on 25 Posts

we have run a bunch of our cars on 20lbs and pumpgas no methanol

but we run methanol water mix now and never have a issue on 25psi or so

going to be switching to strait methanol soon as i think that might be one of the reasons our cars are lacking in the horsepower dept
Old 10-16-2012, 09:36 PM
12 Second Club

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by denmah
we have run a bunch of our cars on 20lbs and pumpgas no methanol

but we run methanol water mix now and never have a issue on 25psi or so

going to be switching to strait methanol soon as i think that might be one of the reasons our cars are lacking in the horsepower dept
You're running about 15º with that setup right buddy? I am flat out impressed with your builds man, can't wait to see that 1980 orange turd run man! That's a slick car.
Old 10-16-2012, 09:37 PM
TECH Resident

15psi on methanol and intercooler at 9.5:1 compression with 91 octane. AFR is dead on and if I had a different CPU with a 3 bar MAP sensor I wouldn't hesitate to push it a bit farther.
Old 10-19-2012, 09:51 PM
TECH Resident

20psi 8:1 compression...93 octaine ..22*timing..A2W 70 degree IAT
Old 10-19-2012, 10:50 PM
TECH Enthusiast

How much you can run on 93 depends on the entire combination, compression/cam/turbo(s)/converter/gearing/weight, everything needs to be considered.

A 4-bolt head with LS9 gaskets and studs should be able to run 23-24psi or so without pushing water as long as everything else is up to task. But you wont get this out of 93 pumpgas.
Old 10-20-2012, 07:24 PM
Launching!

This question seems to come up alot lately. I'm running 10.6 compression, meth and 14lbs of boost with a conservative 15deg of timing. Highest I ran with the old turbos was 18lbs of boost. This was with the stock 243 heads. Now I have AFR 245s and I don't have new numbers yet.
Old 10-21-2012, 04:00 PM
TECH Resident

thanks for the info guys, I have the engine ordered, it will be a 9.0:1 427 RHS block, with mast 305 black label, and a big 4.0 on board. It should be the first car of its kind to have this combo, and it has 39 miles on the odometer, had to drive it to the shop LOL.

This will go through a triple disk cluck, and a fully built tr6060 manual, and so much crap. Ill start a build thread soon

for those who subscribed, ill let you guys know what we end up running as far as boost and how much timing and how much power it made.

Quick Reply: max boost on pump gas?