Forced Induction Superchargers | Turbochargers | Intercoolers

stock LQ4 and boost. How much is too much?

Search this Thread

Old 10-20-2012 | 11:45 PM

my friend just went 153mph today on a stock 6.0 with a cam, valvesprings and a turbo in a notch mustang. 23psi
Old 10-21-2012 | 07:07 AM
8 Second Club

Originally Posted by denmah
my friend just went 153mph today on a stock 6.0 with a cam, valvesprings and a turbo in a notch mustang. 23psi
That's insane the blue one with the s480?
Old 10-21-2012 | 07:47 AM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by shawnc16
You can crank up the boost to max out at whatever you want, doesn't mean yur gonna be drving at WOT everywhere you go. I would say mid 700's on pump gas is "safe" and after that you're looking at race gas or e85 is still an option but not for everyone. Are you looking for a max number or a reliable max number?
"Everywhere I go", no. But WOT probably at least once almost every single time I drive the car "Yes". Just my driving habits

I am looking for a max reliable number. Given that, I am considering doing an E85 setup on it, and not doing pump gas. If in the end, to do it reliably, I aim for 700-750 RWHP, I will be satisfied with that. But I don't want it to be something that I have apart a couple years after I do it.

Originally Posted by Camaro9969
Bigger is better that is it. Can you make awesome power on a 5.3? Yes. But why not start big and when you upgrade from a 6.0 your that little bit ahead of tthe game. It all depends on budget. But I'm sure people will go back and forth. Either way you go is the right way in my opinion .....any LS motor is awesome with a turbo
I do agree with your philosophy of bigger displacement. A used 5.3 and a used LQ4 are not that much apart as far as price goes. What I do want to know is which is better to handle the boost stock? Someone mentioned to me yesterday that the 5.3 may be a little stronger. Anyone know anything on this?

Originally Posted by LS6427
FWIW.....a friend of mine has been beating the **** out of his factory stock iron block with a 76mm turbo on 93 octane for about 1 year now, I think a 5.3 engine. Makes around 750 RWHP.

BONE STOCK 5.3L.....through a mildly built $300 junk yard 4L80E.

I think its great when tons of power are made on the CHEAP......

That is what I am talking about! Yeah, many people have, just like silver82, and thats why I want to go this route.

Originally Posted by stock48
Actually it's been making that power off and on for well over a year now, but as we know BIG power and stock parts will only last so long, or until there is a misshap like a meth pump, map sensor etc. I'ts been rattled a few times from from both of those but thankfully I caught it in time. I ran the 9.7 with similar or more power than that, and have done a lot of racing with it over the summer on that setting, and a couple times at 22~23psi. Another thing to note is the dyno I ran on was sae #'s and reads on the low side. Im running thru a 4L80E, transfer case that turns front driveline, and front diff even in 2wd. Add that to the stock truck acc's with power steering, a/c belt, etc and there is a lot of power being gobbled up. I'll put $ on it that this combo goes 1000HP when I put it in my car with the glide and less acc's. I plan on pulling it down and checking everything out this winter it just has to make this last 2500mi road trip with some pretty hard racing and dyno pulls hope she makes it thru
I have no doubts your truck is putting down that power. And it is very impressive! But specifically, you mentioned you have been making "that" power on and off. Is that the 900 RWHP on and off? You did mention that you made some track runs at the higher boost level. It was my guess (and thats all it is), that at 900 RWHP and a consistantly used 900 RWHP level that it would not hold for years. Trust me, I could be wrong on this as I am no expert, but just an educated guess given that you are the first one I have heard of to achieve this RWHP level on a completely stock LQ4. I look forward to how things are looking during your tear-down over the winter. This is exactly the type of info I am looking for in this thread!

Originally Posted by denmah
Thats very impressive! I do have to wonder how different the power levels are in some of these lighter vehicles. I don't know the notch's weight off the top of my head, but I believe it is 300-400 lbs lighter than a 4th gen F-body. But even if it were a difference, that should equal a strong 145+ MPH in a slightly heavier car.

In the end, it sounds like there are plenty of people making some serious and reliable power levels on these engines with little to nothing done. Thanks everyone for the good info!
Old 10-21-2012 | 10:26 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by CALL911
That is what I am talking about! Yeah, many people have, just like silver82, and thats why I want to go this route.

Forged pistons and rods are a nice piece of mind though.....

Old 10-21-2012 | 10:50 AM
TECH Apprentice

denmah is talking about my car, it weighs approx 3125 with me in it. i do have it on e85 as well. reliability also depends on what rpm you spin it to. im not even hitting 6500 with it
Old 10-21-2012 | 10:59 AM
TECH Apprentice

Dont tell my 5.3 that. Its been spun to 7200 on almost every pass and hit 7500 once. Like i said im mean to it. Im thinking about one last trip to the track and dyno before the year is up
Old 10-21-2012 | 11:05 AM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by LS6427
Forged pistons and rods are a nice piece of mind though.....

They are. However if I were going to go with forged pistons and rods it defeats the purpose of getting a cheap used LQ4 (or 5.3) and leaving it stock. Because at that point, I might as well just use my aluminum LS1 block I already have in the car, and put forged pistons and rods in it.

Originally Posted by 86lxnotch
denmah is talking about my car, it weighs approx 3125 with me in it. i do have it on e85 as well. reliability also depends on what rpm you spin it to. im not even hitting 6500 with it
Yeah the weight is quite a difference. My Formula is 3500lbs and that's NOT with me in it. You are talking about more than 600lbs. The lighter the car, the less power it requires to get that higher trap speed. I agree with the high RPM's. I wonder where others using the stock LQ4's and 5.3's are shifting?
Old 10-21-2012 | 11:33 AM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by silver_82
Dont tell my 5.3 that. Its been spun to 7200 on almost every pass and hit 7500 once. Like i said im mean to it. Im thinking about one last trip to the track and dyno before the year is up
That's awesome Chris! Did you do anything to your 5.3 before you put it in? (Head studs, LS9 gaskets ect.)?
Old 10-21-2012 | 11:39 AM
TECH Apprentice

its a rule of thumb, you will always have a few freak motors that defy logic. tune is part of it as well. my motor i have no need to spin it harder
Old 10-21-2012 | 11:42 AM
8 Second Club

its a rule of thumb, you will always have a few freak motors that defy logic. tune is part of it as well. my motor i have no need to spin it harder
how much timing?
Old 10-21-2012 | 11:43 AM
TECH Apprentice

im at 15*
Old 10-21-2012 | 02:05 PM
12 Second Club

I think 6.0 are a better choice personally.youll get more torque out of boost which makes for a good street setup and better milage if that at all concerns you.as far as strength id look as a late 04 or newer because they have the ls2 rods. My first one was a 01 and died at the 600rwhp mark.not because of durability but because I got stupid with the tune.all 8 rod stayed perfectly intact however I cant say the same for my missing piston.id say if you want a 6.0 go with the newer 6.0 and make sure everything is spot on and I think it could see 700 reliably and 800 set on kill
Old 10-21-2012 | 02:22 PM
9 Second Truck Club

Originally Posted by CALL911
"Everywhere I go", no. But WOT probably at least once almost every single time I drive the car "Yes". Just my driving habits

I am looking for a max reliable number. Given that, I am considering doing an E85 setup on it, and not doing pump gas. If in the end, to do it reliably, I aim for 700-750 RWHP, I will be satisfied with that. But I don't want it to be something that I have apart a couple years after I do it.

I do agree with your philosophy of bigger displacement. A used 5.3 and a used LQ4 are not that much apart as far as price goes. What I do want to know is which is better to handle the boost stock? Someone mentioned to me yesterday that the 5.3 may be a little stronger. Anyone know anything on this?

I have no doubts your truck is putting down that power. And it is very impressive! But specifically, you mentioned you have been making "that" power on and off. Is that the 900 RWHP on and off? You did mention that you made some track runs at the higher boost level. It was my guess (and thats all it is), that at 900 RWHP and a consistantly used 900 RWHP level that it would not hold for years. Trust me, I could be wrong on this as I am no expert, but just an educated guess given that you are the first one I have heard of to achieve this RWHP level on a completely stock LQ4. I look forward to how things are looking during your tear-down over the winter. This is exactly the type of info I am looking for in this thread!

Thats very impressive! I do have to wonder how different the power levels are in some of these lighter vehicles. I don't know the notch's weight off the top of my head, but I believe it is 300-400 lbs lighter than a 4th gen F-body. But even if it were a difference, that should equal a strong 145+ MPH in a slightly heavier car.

In the end, it sounds like there are plenty of people making some serious and reliable power levels on these engines with little to nothing done. Thanks everyone for the good info!
Yea I don't expect it to last for ever at 900+ hp. Id say 750-800 would be max reliable. But like said many times tune is key. I've made 100's of runs on and off street at that power. I am also running on gas/meth inj so I would trust it a little better on E85. It spends most of it's time on the high 700hp tune and I beast on it a cpl times a day on avg. Truck is over 4850 lbs in dd form and 4x4 so when I beast it, it sticks the power and loads the engine alot harder than a 3600-4000 lb car would. Thing that I think helps it live is the converter slip. I shift at 5900rpm and rpm only drops to 5200, then I don't lock converter until 117mph so engine is never loaded below 4500 at full boost.
Old 10-21-2012 | 06:07 PM
TECH Apprentice

The power never dropped off so i thought what the hell. What rear gear and tire are u running?
Old 10-21-2012 | 06:16 PM
TECH Apprentice

3.08 gears and normally i run a 30'' DR but i was given a set of 28x10.5 goodyear slicks i have on for these runs
Old 10-21-2012 | 06:23 PM
TECH Apprentice

glide or th400? Im using a glide but wish I had a 400 so this wimpy little motor would 60ft better. Id run a 3.25 gear or something with the 400
Old 10-21-2012 | 06:27 PM
TECH Apprentice

running a glide in it
Old 10-21-2012 | 06:30 PM
TECH Apprentice

right on man. maybe Ill try a taller gear.
Old 10-21-2012 | 06:36 PM
TECH Apprentice

oh i almost forgot, my glide has a 2.10 first gear in it

Quick Reply: stock LQ4 and boost. How much is too much?