Forced Induction Superchargers | Turbochargers | Intercoolers

F1X cam I did

Search this Thread

Old 10-31-2012, 12:27 PM
FormerVendor

Received 15 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by LilJohn
Odds are... lack of csa in the intake port and/or manifold putting the port into a sonic choke situation.

Too early of an ivc point.

Stevie Fast was asked about the motor in his ODR car once... his reply was that it was the biggest and baddest nitrous motor he could build.... then he stuck a blower on it....

Things that make you go hmmmmmmmmmm......
Wayne, this sounds really familiar.....
Old 10-31-2012, 12:42 PM
9 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Martin@Tick
Wayne, this sounds really familiar.....
I think he tells that story to everyone. LOL !
I know a few other people that have heard the same thing from him.

From what I have seen in the 10 passes we have on our car he wasnt lying.
Old 10-31-2012, 12:53 PM
FormerVendor

Originally Posted by ATVracr

Now the million dollar question, what cam do you have...
Old 10-31-2012, 12:57 PM
8 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Odds are... lack of csa in the intake port and/or manifold putting the port into a sonic choke situation.

Too early of an ivc point.

Stevie Fast was asked about the motor in his ODR car once... his reply was that it was the biggest and baddest nitrous motor he could build.... then he stuck a blower on it....

Things that make you go hmmmmmmmmmm......
LilJohn,

these are the numbers

IVO 42 IVC 82

EVO 94 EVC 38

80 degrees of overlap
Old 10-31-2012, 01:16 PM
9 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Now the million dollar question, what cam do you have...
Cant remember the exact specs off the top of my head but its BIG.

close to or over 300 and around 1" of lift on a 116.
Old 10-31-2012, 02:34 PM
TECH Regular

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by eb02z06
LilJohn,

these are the numbers

IVO 42 IVC 82

EVO 94 EVC 38

80 degrees of overlap
Holy mother of god Arun....

I think we can rule out too early of an ivc....

Got a thread link for the rest of the build??
Old 10-31-2012, 02:40 PM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by ATVracr

Thats his standard answer for everyone.... he just changes his accent that he tells it with depending on whos hanging around and what part of the country hes in... lol
Old 10-31-2012, 02:58 PM
8 Second Club

Holy mother of god Arun....

I think we can rule out too early of an ivc....

Got a thread link for the rest of the build??
Those are advertised LilJohn, not at .050-just to be clear-I'm sure you knew that but others might not be so sure. At .050 cam is a 253/259 114+4

Not really too much of a build thread-just a simple 402-I

guess you could say it was one of my cookie cutter builds-lol!

https://ls1tech.com/forums/forced-in...-975-rwhp.html

Martin-delete this is if you want buddy-I don't want to take away from your thread.

But when guys like ATVracer and LilJohn start posting my ears are wide open.

BTW-from the trends I'm seeing my next cam is real close to your Stage 2 blower-been working on a cam that doesn't make my cloths smell like fuel-but still makes jam.

I have some dyno results I can share with you via email or pm.
Old 10-31-2012, 03:26 PM
FormerVendor

Those are advertised LilJohn, not at .050-just to be clear-I'm sure you knew that but others might not be so sure. At .050 cam is a 253/259 114+4

Not really too much of a build thread-just a simple 402-I

guess you could say it was one of my cookie cutter builds-lol!

https://ls1tech.com/forums/forced-in...-975-rwhp.html

Martin-delete this is if you want buddy-I don't want to take away from your thread.

But when guys like ATVracer and LilJohn start posting my ears are wide open.

BTW-from the trends I'm seeing my next cam is real close to your Stage 2 blower-been working on a cam that doesn't make my cloths smell like fuel-but still makes jam.

I have some dyno results I can share with you via email or pm.
The thread has gone to the wayside anyways, not that it matters anymore!

LilJohn pretty much took me under his wing along with Tooley a while back. They've always been my biggest contributors when I need someone to bounce ideas off of. Wayne also has taught me a lot about plug reading and what to look for and what to do when those situations are encountered.

I actually wish now that I had gave the Stage two cam a little more exhaust duration to kick the EVO event out earlier. These centrifugal blowers are so peaky by nature that they need help in the EVO department to bring up the torque numbers after peak torque helping to broaden the torque curve as Tooley spoke about with his 454. IMO they also don't need too late of an IVC as they continue to make power with RPM as long as you don't run out of blower CFM in doing so by spinning them harder. This is at least what I have seen in the 10-12 blower cams I've done in the past couple months.

I'm doing a 468 BBC F2 blower cam right now and it will follow the same principals I've learned from my previous blower cams.

Email is martin@tick-performance.com
Old 10-31-2012, 03:45 PM
8 Second Club

The thread has gone to the wayside anyways, not that it matters anymore!

LilJohn pretty much took me under his wing along with Tooley a while back. They've always been my biggest contributors when I need someone to bounce ideas off of. Wayne also has taught me a lot about plug reading and what to look for and what to do when those situations are encountered.

I actually wish now that I had gave the Stage two cam a little more exhaust duration to kick the EVO event out earlier. These centrifugal blowers are so peaky by nature that they need help in the EVO department to bring up the torque numbers after peak torque helping to broaden the torque curve as Tooley spoke about with his 454. IMO they also don't need too late of an IVC as they continue to make power with RPM as long as you don't run out of blower CFM in doing so by spinning them harder. This is at least what I have seen in the 10-12 blower cams I've done in the past couple months.

I'm doing a 468 BBC F2 blower cam right now and it will follow the same principals I've learned from my previous blower cams.

Email is martin@tick-performance.com
I have never had the pleasure of talking to LilJohn or Wayne-but when they type I read-plain and simple.

Tooley has been around the game a long time, and he's been around the 5.0L Mustang era where I learned alot and pass it forward on the LS platform. People make it sound like the wheel was just reinvented but it wasn't.

I will email you a graph of 3 different cams, 2 of the graphs are from a Novi 2000 and the other is the F1R-at first you'll think the bigger cam obviously should make more power-then consider the F1R versus the Novi 2000-then things are not so clear again.

The Novi 2000-doesn't nearly have the airflow of the F1R.

This is why I like the Stage 2-and since those are just .050 thou numbers-the advertised can be quite a bit different.

It's always nice to bounce ideas off people.
Old 10-31-2012, 04:05 PM
FormerVendor

I have never had the pleasure of talking to LilJohn or Wayne-but when they type I read-plain and simple.

Tooley has been around the game a long time, and he's been around the 5.0L Mustang era where I learned alot and pass it forward on the LS platform. People make it sound like the wheel was just reinvented but it wasn't.

I will email you a graph of 3 different cams, 2 of the graphs are from a Novi 2000 and the other is the F1R-at first you'll think the bigger cam obviously should make more power-then consider the F1R versus the Novi 2000-then things are not so clear again.

The Novi 2000-doesn't nearly have the airflow of the F1R.

This is why I like the Stage 2-and since those are just .050 thou numbers-the advertised can be quite a bit different.

It's always nice to bounce ideas off people.
FYI:
Stage 2 Blower Cam is:
286/296@.020
234/240@.050
151/157@.200
Old 10-31-2012, 04:08 PM
8 Second Club

FYI:
Stage 2 Blower Cam is:
286/296@.020
234/240@.050
151/157@.200
email sent buddy, and it looks like you and i are both on the same page-lol!!!!
Old 10-31-2012, 04:16 PM
FormerVendor

email sent buddy, and it looks like you and i are both on the same page-lol!!!!
Shhh, don't say that....you'll be tagged as inexperienced along with me!
Old 11-03-2012, 01:25 AM
Staging Lane

wow! very impressive. diggin this a lot
Old 11-03-2012, 03:31 AM
TT-TECH Veteran

Well I can't let it go! I just spent the last hour reading this whole thread and now I'm feeling really unsatisfied lol! Regardless if something was or wasn't wrong with the cam or if it was something else with the car's setup... Glad you and your customer are happy about the results. Lets close this long winded bastard down lol!
Old 11-13-2012, 09:51 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 20 Likes on 13 Posts

So we learned that the intake closing point needed earlier. Big port and no compression that makes sense.

Add overlap to it and it picks up power when there was little overlap to begin with.

And dont try to blow down 1000 hp engine with 240 degrees of exhaust timing.

Was the original cam spec'd for that combo? I cant see anyone in their right mind doing so. Looks like its closer to right now! Screw changing pistons, why wouldnt you just pulley it up
Old 11-14-2012, 12:46 PM
FormerVendor

Originally Posted by GrannySShifting
So we learned that the intake closing point needed earlier. Big port and no compression that makes sense.

Add overlap to it and it picks up power when there was little overlap to begin with.

And dont try to blow down 1000 hp engine with 240 degrees of exhaust timing.

Was the original cam spec'd for that combo? I cant see anyone in their right mind doing so. Looks like its closer to right now! Screw changing pistons, why wouldnt you just pulley it up
Yes it was.

With a centrifugal there comes a point where spinning the blower harder reaches a point of diminishing returns sort of like with a turbo. Only it takes more engine power to do this where as a turbo doesn't. When you reach that point you'll actually lose power from trying to turn it that much faster while not really gaining much anything from it other than added heat in the intake tract.

While I agree the blower could be spun harder than it is being spun now, the motor having the compression it does on E85 with an air to water intercooler is just begging for more cylinder pressure. Not only that, but it takes a powerful N/A motor to spin a larger blower like the F1X and more compression will only make that job easier.

If this was a race car with a gear drive I'd spin it well past its "rated" maximum rpm as the guys in X275 are doing, but since it's a street car I'd rather not and find power in other areas.
Old 11-14-2012, 01:46 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 20 Likes on 13 Posts

Theres no way your anywhere near 70,000 rpm with a tensioner and belt setup and not slipping are you?

I wouldnt build a F1X with a belt no way no how try to drive that geartrain, but yeah if you know you can only run xx,xxx rpm with a belt setup reliably, then make more power NA is your only route. But a air to water setup with a belt?
Old 11-14-2012, 02:19 PM
FormerVendor

Originally Posted by GrannySShifting
Theres no way your anywhere near 70,000 rpm with a tensioner and belt setup and not slipping are you?

I wouldnt build a F1X with a belt no way no how try to drive that geartrain, but yeah if you know you can only run xx,xxx rpm with a belt setup reliably, then make more power NA is your only route. But a air to water setup with a belt?
I wouldn't either!

You've been around long enough to know how to make big power, so I don't need to tell you twice.
Old 11-14-2012, 04:21 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by 91sonomast
You mad bro? You seem pretty pissed that he showed proof of you being wrong, and you did something obviously quite silly.
Wrong how? I simply said that 250 or 350 shot on a 6 Range plug will melt ****. Stick yo that stock piece of **** you drive and leave me and my setup out of this.

Quick Reply: F1X cam I did