Forced Induction Superchargers | Turbochargers | Intercoolers

Huron Speed A/C Turbo Kit - Next Level 00 Bird Build

Search this Thread

Old 11-04-2012, 07:06 AM
LS1Tech Sponsor

Received 59 Likes on 44 Posts

Nice post! Why so much pure negativity?

Repack the turbo with grease? The Comp oil-less do require rebuilds but it is every few seasons. I don't think Jim will mind the 4 bolts, 1 t-bolt clamp, and 1 v-band clamp to get that off every couple seasons. Hell he will probably remove it every week to clean and polish it up knowing Jim

Silicone couplers.... never had any issues with these. This same design is ran on our other kit with zero issues. For simplicity and to keep it cost effective, along with making an easy install, the cold side design is terrific. We have had ZERO coupler issues or failures. If you want to make tons of boost to where a bend coupler won't hold anymore, I will weld an elbow on for you in return for the blown apart coupler!

Intercooler.... I don't know how many people have ran this exact same intercooler with terrific success up to 1000hp! I would love to see your charts showing 70% of airflow going across 60% of the cooler. I along with MANY other people, not just my customers, have used this cooler with great success and it keeps the IATs very low! For helping keep the cost of this kit affordable, this intercooler does an awesome job! If you want to do a custom built cooler to maybe get a little bit of better airflow that honestly isn't going to help 95% of the cars out there to add $1000 to the kit, then we could do it I suppose. This intercooler has proven terrific for us with no need what-so-ever to change it!

Also, this is a first, one-off test kit, NOT a production kit.

Featuring 6 different turbo kits for your F-body!
Check us out on Facebook at: www.facebook.com/HuronSpeed

Last edited by Superman09; 11-04-2012 at 07:18 AM.
Old 11-04-2012, 09:42 PM
TECH Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

BOOM, telling it like it is...
Old 11-04-2012, 09:59 PM
TECH Regular

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

My post wasnt pure negativity... cmon now.

Cmon... you know that turbo has to have SOME kind of lubrication.....theres not some new magic metal that can take metal to metal contact in a 1000+ degree environment without something.

I complimented you on your cold side layout. Great radii on the hard pipes. I just stated that the couple of tight radius couplers i saw was unfortunate. Theres always a compromise that has to be made on packaging....

I didnt say the intercooler was bad... the core is actually quite nice. Has a good fpi number. The end tank design with the offset entry/exit and such short end tanks just doesnt allow complete utilization of the core. It does work well. Just pointing out it could be better.

If all that is ever provided is pats on the back for the good points.... how will the not so good things ever be improved?

Constructive critizism doesnt have to have a negative conotation.

There really is no need to be on the defensive.
Old 11-05-2012, 06:53 AM
LS1Tech Sponsor

Originally Posted by LilJohn
My post wasnt pure negativity... cmon now.

Cmon... you know that turbo has to have SOME kind of lubrication.....theres not some new magic metal that can take metal to metal contact in a 1000+ degree environment without something.

I complimented you on your cold side layout. Great radii on the hard pipes. I just stated that the couple of tight radius couplers i saw was unfortunate. Theres always a compromise that has to be made on packaging....

I didnt say the intercooler was bad... the core is actually quite nice. Has a good fpi number. The end tank design with the offset entry/exit and such short end tanks just doesnt allow complete utilization of the core. It does work well. Just pointing out it could be better.

If all that is ever provided is pats on the back for the good points.... how will the not so good things ever be improved?

Constructive critizism doesnt have to have a negative conotation.

There really is no need to be on the defensive.
I don't see one nice thing you said, just knocks, and I figured your cold side comment was a knock as well based off your other statements. I always appreciate constructive criticism, but I didn't see anywhere where you posted anything good or any simple solutions to where you saw a serious issue. Anyways, oh well, to each their own. This kit is going to work terrific for 95% of the customer base out there, which is what we are shooting for. I know that for the price this kit will be to get boosted with A/C and the quality of everything, this kit will be unbeatable. Sure some parts could possibly be better or custom configured, but not everyone can send 7-10k on a turbo kit alone.

Old 11-05-2012, 06:55 AM
LS1Tech Sponsor

Anyways, I don't want this to go off topic or into the kit design as I stated in my first post as again, this is not a production kit, just a first design to test and for Jim to run.

Let's keep this focused on Jim's build, and once this kit gets further into production, more information, pricing, time frame, and discussion will be available!

Jon

Old 11-06-2012, 05:25 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Awesome build!
Old 11-07-2012, 01:16 AM
11 Second Club

Received 22 Likes on 14 Posts

sub'd
Old 11-07-2012, 08:32 AM
10 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Updates. , J/K, ...
Old 11-09-2012, 09:55 AM
Launching!

Thanks guys!

I know this off topic and should probably be in the "appearance" section but WTH, here it goes anyway.

While waiting for parts, I fabbed-up a partial close-out for the radiator support. This still requires a bunch of sanding prior to paint.

Then after paint earlier this year, I had the infamous problem of "bubbling sail/targa panel." I was turned on to one from an earlier f-body which I hope solves the problem. I just need to make another mess and cut the old damn one off!

Last edited by BlackBirdDaddy; 11-09-2012 at 10:00 AM.
Old 11-09-2012, 10:24 AM
11 Second Club

Received 22 Likes on 14 Posts

I have the same bubble top problem lol. Keep up the clean work man, can't wait to see more pics!
Old 11-09-2012, 02:01 PM
LS1Tech Sponsor

Received 21 Likes on 20 Posts

damn you got a banner! i dont even have a banner yet! lmao. car is lookin AWESOME man!

-Casey

YOUR SOURCE FOR ALL THINGS TURBO!
CASEY@HURONSPEED.COM
TWITTER @HURONSPEED
Old 11-09-2012, 03:35 PM
10 Second Club

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

I like the rad support with the huron speed logo. This install looks very clean!
Old 11-10-2012, 06:02 PM
TECH Addict

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I had my rad support powder coated gloss black and threw a procharger decal on it. makes the car look awesome. black anodized covers etc.....

if i cant make the power i am looking for ill be grabbing up this kit and going with a gt50-88.

i have a few bubbles on my panel too, but I just cut it with a razor blade and polished there for the time being. I started getting black on my rag last year so late this years shell be getting a fresh coat soon enough.

I love this build. Huron did a great job.
Old 11-21-2012, 11:36 AM
Staging Lane

Received 12 Likes on 6 Posts

can you use the sway bar?
Old 11-22-2012, 07:58 AM
Launching!

Originally Posted by dammarler
can you use the sway bar?

I would like to, but may have to fab some mounting blocks to clear the piping. I will know more once I get the piping.

Old 12-06-2012, 03:26 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Your car looks SUPER nice.
I am patiently waiting for this kit to go up for sale.

After watching first hand, how nice dammalar's kit when on, I decided to wait for this and not build my own hot side.

Old 12-06-2012, 11:07 PM
Staging Lane

Jon, I have 2 kits sold for you as soon as they come out as you can see in the above post. Let me know when they are ready!!!
Old 12-07-2012, 07:47 AM
LS1Tech Sponsor

Originally Posted by dammarler
Jon, I have 2 kits sold for you as soon as they come out as you can see in the above post. Let me know when they are ready!!!
Thanks Doug, really appreciate it! Thanks again, you have been a great customer and thanks for continuing to support Huron Speed!

Old 12-07-2012, 11:45 AM
Launching!

In the meantime..........

Relocated and wired the alternator

Painted the fabbed radiator support close-out and buried the "whoring" graphics under clear

A little organization

Some appearance mods. Cut the funky plastic lens off the foglamp housing and getting ready to bond a 1/4" glass lens.

Old 12-07-2012, 10:50 PM
Staging Lane

Nice work! I really respect how clean your work is. I gotta ask. What are and where did you get the front turn signal / daytime running light lenses?

Quick Reply: Huron Speed A/C Turbo Kit - Next Level 00 Bird Build