Forced Induction Superchargers | Turbochargers | Intercoolers

5.3 running Microsquirt 2, waste spark and fuel *1-8-13 updates*

Search this Thread

Old 11-30-2012, 06:35 PM

Received 31 Likes on 25 Posts

Originally Posted by redss82
So did you guys figure out if the 12v and 5v pull ups can be wired in the harness or not? Just received my micro and looking at picking up a motor in the am so ill probably start wiring soon
You can do either
Old 12-01-2012, 04:32 AM
9 Second Club

Received 64 Likes on 54 Posts

Hmm interesting... I like the small ecu... looks like $400 to get it going if done yourself.
Old 12-01-2012, 08:35 AM

yep the ecu is like 299
the 8ft harness is like 70 dollars

then you can cut all the connectors out of the yard for a few bux and get a ebay 2-3 bar map, or junkyard 2 bar out of a supercharge buick, then its just a few hours of wiring it all up and connecting it all right.
Old 12-01-2012, 08:36 AM

EFI Source on Ebay has a deal where you can get the ecu with the harness for a discount
Old 12-01-2012, 07:19 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 99 Likes on 69 Posts

Fuel and spark control on a ls1 right?

I thought I saw a msd ignition box.
Old 12-01-2012, 08:58 PM
9 Second Club

Received 64 Likes on 54 Posts

If you get around to doing a full write up on it... ill probably try this out. Hard to justify when you already have a copy of efi live though
Old 12-02-2012, 03:54 AM

yep i am sure i will do a larger write up on it,
atomic has that harness though, and nearly the same rules apply from my how to wire and fire ms1 stuff for wiring the sensors.
Old 12-02-2012, 07:54 AM

here is a pic of the harness i built.
for fun, and also because this was only the 3ft harness i threw in some junkyard honda connectors in the middle so parts of the harness can be disconnected in the middle.

Old 12-02-2012, 10:44 AM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Umm... This is just a thought, but wouldn't waste spark, with energizing the coils twice as often, make it easier for the coils to heat/overheat, causing a weaker spark?
Old 12-02-2012, 02:19 PM
9 Second Club

Received 180 Likes on 155 Posts

Originally Posted by dirty_old_chevy
Umm... This is just a thought, but wouldn't waste spark, with energizing the coils twice as often, make it easier for the coils to heat/overheat, causing a weaker spark?
nope. Not an issue.
Old 12-02-2012, 02:46 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Dwell on the coil is what is going to cause the most heat.

And the tune Denmah had been using only dwells them half as long as normal, so twice as many half dwell times is about the same as normal. This could cause less spark, but we have not seen that with Matt(Denmah's) car.

The first tune I gave Matt to try had too much dwell times on the coils,and overheated them, giving him problems on a longer test(Sorry about that Matt)
but we are good to go, now.

I don't think that the wasted spark ignition is a bad approach to firing the LSx, but some may.

Obviously the wasted spark system would have less time available for dwell of the coils,than a sequentially fired ignition would have(normal ls1 igniton), but a v8 wasted spark system(this Microsquirt,and Cadillac's Northstar system, Also one way Holley's new system has been used) would still have 4 times the available dwell time than a distributor would have on the same 8 cyl. setup. So if you have 8 channels available for spark on a V8, that a sequentially fired ignition would have, then you would have 8 times the available dwell time that a distributor would have. But we(the microsquirt) only have 4,so a critic of the system could say that the wasted spark system is inferior.

And in fact it would be, relative to a true sequentially fired ignition system.

But, in my view, still 4 times better than a distributor ignition.

And then there is the fact that you are firing the LSx coils twice as many times, relative to there intended operation on a sequential ignition. Theoretically, "wearing them out" twice as fast. But, who knows really??

There are advantages, and disadvantages to every system, I really think the few "disadvantages" of this system are outweighed by the simplicity of the install.

Everybody is looking for a fool proof, simple, and cheap system to control the most popular v8 around. I think this one could be all of that, and still very powerful.

And, soon the MS3pro will be out, and it will add more features with about the same size and shape as the Microsquirt used here. So, if you like the microsquirt and want a "better" solution, the MS3pro will give you squential injection,full sequential spark, full knock contol/with the wideband bosch sensor or the stock ls sensor, Real time clock on board, and an SD card logger. And so much more. Check it out sometime.

I am testing one now for the guys at DIYauto tune. I will make a wiring diagram for hooking it to the LSx engines (24x or 58x cranks), and DIYautotune may make a PNP harness for these engines. I am not sure.

These are the guys that helped us out by supplying a megasquirt, and wideband for our(Parish and us) old beater Turbo 5.3 Fairmont from that HotRod magazine article, and from those 1320 videos.
Old 12-02-2012, 05:03 PM

it seems to have no problem creating enough spark energy at 23lbs of boost over 700hp to break pistons...

so, seems good enough for me haha
Old 12-03-2012, 11:24 AM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Dragframe
If you get around to doing a full write up on it... ill probably try this out. Hard to justify when you already have a copy of efi live though
Not really. I've got EFILive and have been using COS5 on my turbo setups, and although it works fine, MS has capabilities FAR above and beyond that of a factory ECU.

Mine EFILive will be getting shelved.
Old 12-03-2012, 11:28 AM
On The Tree

Just finished modifying my microsquirt and assembling a jimstim board cant wait to actually build the car
Old 12-03-2012, 05:48 PM

playing with the anti lag / launch control today

pretty easily made 8psi at 2800 i could make the settings much more violent lol
The following users liked this post:
Woodylyf767 (09-22-2023)
Old 12-04-2012, 06:27 PM
8 Second Club

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Very cool
Old 12-04-2012, 07:13 PM
TECH Fanatic

whats the turbo engine combo. it looks like it takes 8 secs from throttle application till it hits 8 psi. is it a huge turbo?
Old 12-04-2012, 07:59 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by 71 chevy
whats the turbo engine combo. it looks like it takes 8 secs from throttle application till it hits 8 psi. is it a huge turbo?

The thread over on MSextra said the pedal wasn't to the floor.

Was this on the T-Brake,or in neutral.

Can you post up the log and msq on the other forum, Matt.

It would be kind of cool to log back pressure, and see how big the spikes are in the exhaust system during the Launch contol. And then on the dyno to see if your backpressure is a problem at the higher power levels.

You should be able to hook one of the cheap pressure sensors from Auber thru a long line tapped to the exhaust(like we did in our old Fairmont), to the pig tail I put in that harness for logging fuel pressure. Just plug it in and configure the gauge in tunerstudio. and you could be logging fuel pressure,or in this case exhaust back pressure.

This is the sensor from Auber, it should plug right in that harness, if it is still the same as when I sent it to you.

http://www.auberins.com/index.php?ma...roducts_id=271
Old 12-05-2012, 04:26 AM

Originally Posted by 71 chevy
i was just rolling into the gas pedal to see if the rpm would activate at the right spot and it hit 2800 and started to go on the timing retard at like 30% throttle i think and then i kept rolling into it till the ignition cut started to hit, and as i got to like 75% it was already making 10lbs.

im sure if i went right to flooring it the results might be quicker.
Old 12-05-2012, 04:27 AM

Originally Posted by atomic 6
The thread over on MSextra said the pedal wasn't to the floor.

Was this on the T-Brake,or in neutral.

Can you post up the log and msq on the other forum, Matt.

It would be kind of cool to log back pressure, and see how big the spikes are in the exhaust system during the Launch contol. And then on the dyno to see if your backpressure is a problem at the higher power levels.

You should be able to hook one of the cheap pressure sensors from Auber thru a long line tapped to the exhaust(like we did in our old Fairmont), to the pig tail I put in that harness for logging fuel pressure. Just plug it in and configure the gauge in tunerstudio. and you could be logging fuel pressure,or in this case exhaust back pressure.

This is the sensor from Auber, it should plug right in that harness, if it is still the same as when I sent it to you.

http://www.auberins.com/index.php?ma...roducts_id=271
yeah i can post the log, cant i just take the oil pressure sensor out and then block it off and use the stock oil pressure sender? lol

Quick Reply: 5.3 running Microsquirt 2, waste spark and fuel *1-8-13 updates*