Forced Induction Superchargers | Turbochargers | Intercoolers

EMSpro testing for EFI source (even more MS stuff)

Search this Thread

Old 12-22-2012, 02:35 AM

Received 31 Likes on 25 Posts

you dont need the igniter module for LS engines.

the micro2v3, wich they do sell, and i have been buying them from EFI source because they are about 30 minutes south of my house hahah.

the MicrosquirtV3 is awesome and i have been using it with great success.
you need to flash it with the newest firmware, and then do the simple mods to the board, wich includes soldering in 3 resistors.

then its ready to wire and fire a LSX car using waste spark. on the stock coils reading the stock crank sensor.

i would think they do exchanges no problem at EFI source.

i am still doing testing with the EMSpro board but having tons of trouble and i cant recommend it to people who are new to EFI and wiring at all.

at least until we have a working model of it and we can replicate it.
Old 12-22-2012, 02:55 AM

Originally Posted by aknovaman
Is the price of a micro ms box plus a msd box not the same as a ms3 box that would control fuel, spark as well as iac ?
cost to build and fire MS solutions as follows

wiring yourself, building yourself, collecting harness plugs yourself...

msd/ms1 = about 600 dollars
- 157 for board and pieces to build it
- 67 for a 8ft harness.
- 315 for a 6010 box and harness.
- misc wiring fuse panel, relay, etc etc 50 dollars.
- not including shipping

Benefits being, super easy to wire, the entire MSD6010 harness is plug and play in all the stock sensors and works like voodoo magic, honestly. then the wiring for the fuel only MS1 is minimal and easy to startup with using a base tune.

downsides being its lacking advanced options some people might want for drag racing and doing other crazy things, but me and friends have driven our cars with this system for years, starts, idles, drives, cruises, relaible for thousands of miles, proven to work great, simple and easy to people to get their feet wet and you can make big power, and tune on the fly while you drive.

----
Microsquirt v3 = 450
- 360 for micro and 8ft harness + 35 dollar 3bar map and harness = 395 dollars
- your junkyard supplied connectors wiring fuses, fuse panel, etc etc 50 dollars

the difference here is if you junkyard source and wire yourself, you will have fuel and timing in the same box and expanded features like Antilag 2step, you can pull timing if your inlet temp gets hot, coolant temp, etc etc lots of cool features you cant do with the MSD because it is working on its own, they cant talk to each other, the MSD can only relay RPM in numbers to the MS1 box. what is also nice about he microsquirt is for gen3 motors it doesnt need the cam position at all, it can fully fire on crank only, so you can run whatever cam you want to with the truck gear if you want to, and it doesnt care. the Microsquirt also has more resolution on the fuel table (important to some people)

the downside is a little bit more wiring, also if you buy all the connectors and things separate online its going to cost you about 300 dollars to buy all the new connectors instead of cutting them out of the yard, but the same thing applies with the ms1 i guess.

-------
the MS3x however is a fully sequential ECU, starting at about 800 dollars with a harness or more.
this will give you fully sequential injection and spark control, and a million bells and whistles you may never even use. there is absolutely more wiring, but if that doesnt bother you go ahead and go nuts.

where i stand on this is for that price i would rather use a stock ecu possibly, if you have stuff laying around or you wanna be really stingy you can get a turbo LSX car running and driving great on the Microsquirt for and i know this is pushing it but under 400 dollars. Incredible bargain, if you are into making it economic like i am.

i have no personal experience using a Ms3x, i am sure its crazy and works fantastic as i know some people on this board are using it, its a little more than i need in my opinion. when their other budget solutions are working fantastic for me, and they would be easier for people to do themselves.

and i am all about giving the power to the people if they want to do it themselves.

if you are closing in on 1000 for the ECU and wiring there are so many options for you that i wouldn't even think about doing a 400-700 dollar microsquirt v3 or MSD6010/MS1 i would say your needs have surpassed these budget systems or they simply do not do the crazy things you require them to.

and i hope that clears this up a little.
Old 12-22-2012, 03:00 AM

i think very soon i will be selling my MS1 and 6010 combination i was using if you would be interested in that.
Old 12-22-2012, 08:10 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 99 Likes on 69 Posts

So are you just bypassing (blocking the iac passage) and using the idle screw to maintain idle ? If so then micro would control fuel and spark and you could eliminate the msd box. Right ? I just prefer isc control as it really helps with larger cams and cold Kansas winter morning startups.
Thoughts ?
Old 12-22-2012, 09:12 AM
On The Tree

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by denmah
i think very soon i will be selling my MS1 and 6010 combination i was using if you would be interested in that.
I smell a bidding war!
Old 12-22-2012, 10:19 AM
TECH Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

If someone had a 5.3 factory truck wiring harness that they could harvest connectors from, what other connectors would be needed to complete the Mircosquirt harness?
Old 12-22-2012, 10:40 AM
On The Tree

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Iat and map sensors and connectors
Old 12-22-2012, 08:39 PM

yep he is right, thats all you would need, but you need a 2-3bar anyway and you can get the 3bar with the harness from EFI source for 35 dollars

then you just need to clip a IAT and piggy out of a buick
Old 03-12-2014, 01:03 PM
Staging Lane

any updates on the eMS pro?
Old 04-15-2014, 08:56 AM
On The Tree

Yes also wondering if u have any updates on this.. I messaged u the other day about the micro and msd. But this seams like a better route if it's working
Old 09-22-2014, 10:40 AM
On The Tree

Did this ever work out?
I'm debating this or a megasquirt 2.
Old 09-22-2014, 11:02 AM
9 Second Club

Received 181 Likes on 96 Posts

im not sure if anyone has used one but i see efisource sells a idle stepper motor driver for use with the microsquirt. i dont have one but i don't miss it at all. if i hold the idle at 1000 for 15 seconds it's fine from there. i love the simple and easy to tune microsquirt.
Old 09-22-2014, 12:43 PM

i thought for sure i wrote this already, but this will not work reliably with the 24x motor,

it MIGHT work ok with the 58x since its not a staggered wheel, but the microsquirt is so far much more developed and working extremely well with the 24 and 58x motor that i would not even consider using this at all.

there is no reason to use the MSD6010 and MS1 anymore since the Micro can do fuel and spark and its more cost effective and can do boost cut, ignition cut, anti lag etc.

also yes, closed loop idle control i believe is a waste of time haha

unless you have a stock computer its not worth messing with it on a microsquirt car at all, like yenko posted, when its super cold you hold it a few seconds then you're fine.

if you are really that picky about idle control get a stock pcm or holley EFI controlled setup and have someone tune the idle to perfection.
Old 09-22-2014, 02:02 PM
On The Tree

Thanks denmah thats what I wanted to know.
Old 09-23-2014, 05:31 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 99 Likes on 69 Posts

Use a Ford Taurus idle solenoid controlled by the FIDLE wire on any of the mega or micro. Works like a champ. You can get them almost free at the local u wrench it.

Quick Reply: EMSpro testing for EFI source (even more MS stuff)