Forced Induction Superchargers | Turbochargers | Intercoolers

408, GT55-94, E85, Glide, Truck manifold build thread -- UPDATE 06-29

Search this Thread

Old 12-20-2012, 12:56 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by I8UR4RD
wow. you ran some great times considering the power output. alot of it has to do with your weight. I really would love to know specifics on your weight savings.
I get asked that a lot of how the weight is low. The car was down to 2800 pounds 3 years ago when it was a heads/cam setup. Took everything out i didnt need, cut a lot of metal out, everything that you can do to make it lighter is done. Brakes, suspension, kmember, carpet, wipers gone, blah blah blah. The powerglide is retarded light. I can pick it up easily, probably a solid 40 pounds lighter then most TH400s. exhaust is dumped in the front fascia, i think it only weighs about 8-10 pounds. Little stuff add up.

I am disappointed with the 1/4 ET though. With a trap speed of 158 it should have hit 8s easily. But i honestly never could get a clean pass. Last 6 times i went to the track something went wrong. Mostly stupid ****. One for example was i blew a hole in my flex coupler in the crossover pipe. BTW i am doing away with those pieces of crap this winter. Another was breaking the statur in my converter. The first pass i made the day she let go was 9.12 @ 156 mph. On that pass i lost power 2 times, once before and once after the 1/8th mile. Got coolant sprayed on my windshield both times. It had a good number in her, i just couldnt find it.

This weekend i am planning on cleaning up my engine bay, and getting her ready for paint. I will post up some more photo's soon.
Old 12-20-2012, 01:04 AM
TECH Addict

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by BlackWS666
I get asked that a lot of how the weight is low. The car was down to 2800 pounds 3 years ago when it was a heads/cam setup. Took everything out i didnt need, cut a lot of metal out, everything that you can do to make it lighter is done. Brakes, suspension, kmember, carpet, wipers gone, blah blah blah. The powerglide is retarded light. I can pick it up easily, probably a solid 40 pounds lighter then most TH400s. exhaust is dumped in the front fascia, i think it only weighs about 8-10 pounds. Little stuff add up.

I am disappointed with the 1/4 ET though. With a trap speed of 158 it should have hit 8s easily. But i honestly never could get a clean pass. Last 6 times i went to the track something went wrong. Mostly stupid ****. One for example was i blew a hole in my flex coupler in the crossover pipe. BTW i am doing away with those pieces of crap this winter. Another was breaking the statur in my converter. The first pass i made the day she let go was 9.12 @ 156 mph. On that pass i lost power 2 times, once before and once after the 1/8th mile. Got coolant sprayed on my windshield both times. It had a good number in her, i just couldnt find it.

This weekend i am planning on cleaning up my engine bay, and getting her ready for paint. I will post up some more photo's soon.

yeah 158 is 8's no doubt. Unfortunately I am just getting on the weight train. If I can get to 3300-3400 I will be happy. I guess this summer Ill do just that. Rip it all out, and put what I have to back in. Sounds like the way to go.

Sux the couplers were blowing off. It honestly sounds like they may have been shitty couplers, but surely not? I here RPS makes good ones?

Who's converter were you running?

That brake kit is astounding expensive but I can see why. Im guessing you have an aluminum block as well. and the glide really really helps. Mine is a street/strip combo so I cant swing that.

Good luck man. Tax time right around the corner. Maybe you can add some speed glass or lexan, and work on the new combo, and i have no doubt that 8's are going to become the norm for you.
Old 12-20-2012, 01:21 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by I8UR4RD
yeah 158 is 8's no doubt. Unfortunately I am just getting on the weight train. If I can get to 3300-3400 I will be happy. I guess this summer Ill do just that. Rip it all out, and put what I have to back in. Sounds like the way to go.

Sux the couplers were blowing off. It honestly sounds like they may have been shitty couplers, but surely not? I here RPS makes good ones?

Who's converter were you running?

That brake kit is astounding expensive but I can see why. Im guessing you have an aluminum block as well. and the glide really really helps. Mine is a street/strip combo so I cant swing that.

Good luck man. Tax time right around the corner. Maybe you can add some speed glass or lexan, and work on the new combo, and i have no doubt that 8's are going to become the norm for you.
Iron block, and my converter is a PTC. Love it, will never get another converter from anywhere else period! Thanks dude!
Old 12-20-2012, 09:22 AM
12 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

When we're yoU planing on getting the cage done.l that thing should wake up a lot being a 408.. How do u like the glide I have a th400 thinking of switching.
Old 12-20-2012, 11:26 PM
Launching!

Hole in flex coupler? That's roudy!
Old 12-20-2012, 11:49 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by RacerXLs1
When we're yoU planing on getting the cage done.l that thing should wake up a lot being a 408.. How do u like the glide I have a th400 thinking of switching.
Cage is scheduled for late January. I got bashed for considering a glide, but as usual i didnt take the advise and am VERY glad i didnt. Love the glide. The first gear makes the launches easy to control. And i can ramp the boost in fast as possible without usually worrying about blowing the tires off. Now this will all change with the added cubes and the new setup. But, to answer your question i would highly recommend it. Also if you need a place to get a glide PM me.
Old 12-22-2012, 04:56 PM
Launching!

Cant wait to see how the upgrades work out for you.
Old 12-23-2012, 02:04 AM
TECH Fanatic

Got a little bit done tonight. Cleaned up my engine bay, and am now ready to degrease the whole underside, then prep and paint the engine bay. Here are a few pics of some stuff.

Here is what the engine bay looked like at the beginning of the night.

Here it is after. Added the bars for support and made room for a filter. I think i like the way it turned out, not to hacked up.

This is how i ran the wires to the front of the car. From inside the cab threw the frame rails.

Relocation of the fuse boxes is done. Looks like a cluster, but its actually pretty organized. Still need to zip tie everything.
Attached Thumbnails 408, GT55-94, E85, Glide, Truck manifold build thread -- UPDATE 06-29-030-1.jpg   408, GT55-94, E85, Glide, Truck manifold build thread -- UPDATE 06-29-036-1.jpg   408, GT55-94, E85, Glide, Truck manifold build thread -- UPDATE 06-29-042-1.jpg   408, GT55-94, E85, Glide, Truck manifold build thread -- UPDATE 06-29-043-1.jpg  

Last edited by BlackWS666; 12-23-2012 at 02:13 AM.
Old 12-23-2012, 09:39 AM
TECH Veteran

Received 15 Likes on 6 Posts

I like what you did with those diagonal bars there, pretty sweet!!
Old 12-23-2012, 11:57 AM
11 Second Club

Did you have to extend the wires for it or was there enough?
Old 12-23-2012, 12:41 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by 98Camarod
Did you have to extend the wires for it or was there enough?
I did not have to extend any wires that go to the fuse box. Those were all long enough, but i did extended all the lights, fans, ect. Wasnt too bad really. Hardest part was getting the fuse boxes inside the car. If GM would have put a big *** connector in the firewall, would have made this much easier to pull off.
Old 12-23-2012, 12:50 PM
FormerVendor

Received 15 Likes on 10 Posts

Cage is scheduled for late January. I got bashed for considering a glide, but as usual i didnt take the advise and am VERY glad i didnt. Love the glide. The first gear makes the launches easy to control. And i can ramp the boost in fast as possible without usually worrying about blowing the tires off. Now this will all change with the added cubes and the new setup. But, to answer your question i would highly recommend it. Also if you need a place to get a glide PM me.
I tell this same thing to people here over and over again to go with the glide and don't look back. Much easier to control a high hp car with the 1.80 first gear versus a 2.48. Then you get the" just put a higher rear year in it crowd" that fails to realize that by doing that you have killed the engines acceleration on the high gear shift by making it pull that higher gear along, not to mention converter efficiency goes out the window with that kind of set up and last but not least that an engine that loses that acceleration and is being lugged will become timing sensitive during that period. Is just an all around better combination with the glide.
Old 12-23-2012, 04:44 PM
On The Tree

nope. its all in the tune. no meth kit. ive seen to many cheap *** ebay intercoolers get heat soaked and i wouldnt waste my money or time on one. for a good intercooler im looking at 1000+ bucks just for the cooler thats not including piping and all the v-bands and other crap.

and thanks for all the readers.
Impressive build! cant wait to see round two.

But on another note, its tough to read this quote, and see all the carnage caused to your last motor. Id like to believe that if you at least were running a ebay intercooler and meth. Itd still be running. unless i missed something.
Old 12-23-2012, 09:01 PM
FormerVendor

Received 15 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by TrickrTreat

But on another note, its tough to read this quote, and see all the carnage caused to your last motor. Id like to believe that if you at least were running a ebay intercooler and meth. Itd still be running. unless i missed something.
Tell that to the nmca renegade guys.
Old 12-24-2012, 02:00 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by TrickrTreat

I can see how most people would be quick to blame my head meltage due to hot intake temps, or whatever. BUT it only did it to one cylinder, and it just so happened to be the one with a intake leak. I pushed that motor way farther a couple of times then it should have on the street, and never did it flinch. Even on 90 degree nights. I will definately keep a close eye on things this year, with much logging. And i might experiment with meth later in the season possibly. But never a ebay intercooler
Old 12-24-2012, 07:29 AM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by Martin@Tick
Tell that to the nmca renegade guys.
Great point.

I can see how most people would be quick to blame my head meltage due to hot intake temps, or whatever. BUT it only did it to one cylinder, and it just so happened to be the one with a intake leak. I pushed that motor way farther a couple of times then it should have on the street, and never did it flinch. Even on 90 degree nights. I will definately keep a close eye on things this year, with much logging. And i might experiment with meth later in the season possibly. But never a ebay intercooler
Yeah i figured there was something like that, and like you said , Most (including me) would assume the obvious, but that's largely why i threw it out there. I was fairly confident you had a good response that would clarify a lot of things for others as well as me. cant wait to see this thing back up.
Old 12-24-2012, 11:54 AM
8 Second Club

Th400>power glide!
And I made a lot of power and went fast with a cheap eBay intercooler.
Old 12-24-2012, 12:29 PM
On The Tree

what was the psi of boost when it made 775? on 20psi i made 789 on a mustang dyno and ran 153.3..granted my car weighs in at around 3675 with me in it and a full tank. im just curious as i run the 317 heads as well...nice setup by the way
Old 12-24-2012, 12:41 PM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by 9sec93
Th400>power glide!
Based on what?
Old 12-24-2012, 01:24 PM
8 Second Club

Originally Posted by jridenour31
Based on what?
Based on my own experience. Better 60' times, gear ratios closer together, easier on converter, option to launch in 2nd gear (with the right valve body), don't have to leave on as much boost to get good (or better) 60' times.

Quick Reply: 408, GT55-94, E85, Glide, Truck manifold build thread -- UPDATE 06-29