Forced Induction Superchargers | Turbochargers | Intercoolers

The power (Literally) of ignition timing

Search this Thread

Old 12-23-2012, 07:33 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

After 100+ years, someone has finally discovered the effects of ignition timing in a combustion engine.
Old 12-23-2012, 10:11 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

i think Louis posted this for those of us who were curious to know jus how big a difference the timing made.
Old 12-24-2012, 12:06 PM
TECH Regular

In my experiences heat range 8 plug is not very streetable. Too easy to have them foul out when just out cruising. Still rockin a HR 6 with 750 whp. Check them frequently and they are fine. I may try a 7 this year and see how it goes.
Old 12-24-2012, 12:23 PM
UNDER PRESSURE MOD

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts

I mis-spoke. I went from a TR6 extended tip to a TR-7 non protuding tip plug.

Also, I think the point of this thread was to show data demonstrating what a few degrees of timing is worth in real world terms when it comes to mild amounts of boost. We all know that more timing is more power up to a certain point, then it becomes detrimental to engine longevity.
Old 12-24-2012, 12:29 PM
TECH Fanatic

I will have ngk 7 in mine as well
Old 12-24-2012, 12:51 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by fotoboy
In my experiences heat range 8 plug is not very streetable. Too easy to have them foul out when just out cruising. Still rockin a HR 6 with 750 whp. Check them frequently and they are fine. I may try a 7 this year and see how it goes.
I run a heat range 10 plug in my car (NGK 7993) during the summer when my car is turn't up. Even with the low impedance 160's running a little richer i've never fouled them out. I think my last set I pulled out in october had 2-3K miles on them
Old 12-24-2012, 12:57 PM
Grr
TECH Fanatic

thats pretty much bullshit IMO, I run 8's in pretty much everything and have NEVER fouled a plug, evar
Old 12-26-2012, 12:06 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Grr
thats pretty much bullshit IMO, I run 8's in pretty much everything and have NEVER fouled a plug, evar
Agreed. I run a "8" heat range (if it were an NGK) as well no trouble. Starts, idles for any length of time, and get's it when commanded.
Old 12-26-2012, 12:31 AM
TECH Addict

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

interesting thread. I liked denmah's answer. made the most sense to me. if power is what your after through timing, and your seeing a certain average gain, when it stop making that power as routinely as it was, you can hang it up, back off a little and then maybe even add methanol if you really wanna put some insurance on it.

That is my approach for this springs tuning session. Although with e85 making a bigger boom, the gains may be more impressive per degree. Guess I will find out and record it for a thread later on.

NGK recommends 8's for us per there own tech support. 7's will work too but were not what was recommended to me by them.
Old 12-26-2012, 12:07 PM
7 Second Club

Received 283 Likes on 187 Posts

If you are fouling out an 8 heat range plug you are doing something wrong.
Old 01-10-2013, 11:46 PM
FormerVendor

Projected tip plugs work very well in forced air applications as well. They allow them to keep from getting carbon fouled as quickly as a non-projected tip but still resist pre-ignition from a hot tip.

My street car is a NA/Nitrous setup so a non-projected tip plug is desired over projected. It is a simple heads cam stock bottom LS1 and it runs perfectly fine on non-projected 8's. Actually made its fastest NA pass at the track with them because being a full accessory fbody isn't the funnest job to change all 8 plugs at the track.

The one problem I can see with alot of boost and retarded timing is exhaust gas temps and burning valves. With that much air and fuel there is going to be heat and if it's fired late to prevent too much in the chamber it'll be in the exhaust. So sometimes too little is also a bad thing.
Old 01-11-2013, 12:09 AM
11 Second Club

what do you guys feel with 6psi on 18 degrees of timing with my set up?

10.5:1 compression ratio
224/224r 581. lift 114LSA cam
Tr6 Plugs gapped at .032
92 Pump Gas
Old 01-11-2013, 12:38 AM
FormerVendor

Every setup is different but I'm gonna say thats pretty aggressive on timing with just 92 octane... Best bet is to start off closer to 12-13* and check plugs. Increase the timing incrementally until you start seeing some heat in the plugs and with each increase verify fueling. Some setups take alot more than others and the closest one to your setup I've had was a magnacharged LS6 with a 224 cam and I ended up at 14-15* if memory serves with that setup on straight pump gas.

My advice is to put a methanol kit on it and don't use that sissy 50/50 mix... then throw some timing at it and it'll make a ton more power. Picked a cam/header/maggy 2300 LS2 up 100rwhp with methanol. Could only manage 13* on 93 octane. Added a Snow st2 kit with the largest single nozzle they had and pure methanol and was able to get 21* in it with 100rwhp more. Cooler charge temps and proper heat mark on plugs still. Meth.... its addicting LOL
Old 01-11-2013, 12:44 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by skinnies
This is something you can really see on higher boosted honda turbo setups. They HAVE to add timing to get it to smooth out up top.

Also IMO, timing is harder to hook than boost, we run REALLY low timing down low on the street tires to make it hook, sad how much boost we can shove down it if the timing is low and still stay hooked on a pure street tire lol.
Can you post a screen capture of your timing curve, I would love to see that. This idea is intriguing to me.

Originally Posted by Louis
Timing is such a great traction tuning tool, because you can catch the slip very quickly, and add it back it, again, very quickly.

If we remove timing you can imagine the power loss. We are talking a 150-200 hp loss at the 600 hp level, thats equivalent of 8-10 psi of boost, but you can ramp it back in in a split second
Is this not how most power management systems work? Such as traction control. They detect the slip weather it be via wheel speed sensor, abs sensors or driveshaft speed sensors? Say for instances the computer see a major difference between wheel speed from the front of the car to the back and so it pulls timing until they are within range of each other??

Great thread
Old 01-11-2013, 07:15 AM
FormerVendor

Received 15 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by James@ShorTuning
Projected tip plugs work very well in forced air applications as well. They allow them to keep from getting carbon fouled as quickly as a non-projected tip but still resist pre-ignition from a hot tip.

My street car is a NA/Nitrous setup so a non-projected tip plug is desired over projected. It is a simple heads cam stock bottom LS1 and it runs perfectly fine on non-projected 8's. Actually made its fastest NA pass at the track with them because being a full accessory fbody isn't the funnest job to change all 8 plugs at the track.

The one problem I can see with alot of boost and retarded timing is exhaust gas temps and burning valves. With that much air and fuel there is going to be heat and if it's fired late to prevent too much in the chamber it'll be in the exhaust. So sometimes too little is also a bad thing.
I have a friend who burnt all his exhaust valves up by running his timing too low and his tune too rich on nitrous. As you pointed out, by the time the air/fuel had been lit off, the exhaust valve was already beginning to open and instead of the cylinder walls and piston taking the majority of the combustion temperature, the exhaust valve did.
Old 01-11-2013, 07:29 AM
10 Second Club

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

We've ran LOOOOW timing for traction on our junkyard turbo setups and never hurt any exhaust valves, talking sub 5 degrees and 18+ lbs of boost.
Old 01-11-2013, 01:04 PM
FormerVendor

Originally Posted by skinnies
We've ran LOOOOW timing for traction on our junkyard turbo setups and never hurt any exhaust valves, talking sub 5 degrees and 18+ lbs of boost.
Usually traction control features won't do it because its such a short burst of timing pull usually that it doesn't generate enough heat. What I was mainly talking about is running the engine too low on timing all the time to get more boost or nitrous in the chamber on a lower octane fuel. That's when you start to see parts melt.
Old 01-11-2013, 01:17 PM
10 Second Club

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by James@ShorTuning
Usually traction control features won't do it because its such a short burst of timing pull usually that it doesn't generate enough heat. What I was mainly talking about is running the engine too low on timing all the time to get more boost or nitrous in the chamber on a lower octane fuel. That's when you start to see parts melt.
Not traction control, it's being pulled via the tune and/or lingenfelter timing box. We run low timing through all of 1st and part of 2nd, timing is low for 4-5 seconds at wot on the street. I know what you was trying to say, just letting people know low timing in situations like we use isn't a bad thing. We use a microswitch on the shifter in one car so in 1st gear only it pulls down the timing.
Old 01-11-2013, 02:07 PM
TECH Addict

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

What do you consider low? Low at what rpm and load?
Old 01-11-2013, 03:17 PM
FormerVendor

Mostly setup dependent. Nitrous cars are worse due to the increase oxygen content vs forced air cars. Think of it like acetylene torches and then hitting the oxygen button...

Quick Reply: The power (Literally) of ignition timing