Forced Induction Superchargers | Turbochargers | Intercoolers

5.65@124 - stock 317's, AC, pump gas, s480 towing a trailer ;)

Search this Thread

Old 01-20-2013, 11:17 PM
TECH Resident

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by 427
Are you using the factory Ford AC in the car? What AC pump on the engine?

Kurt
all of the AC components are GM, condenser is from F-body, compressor is a truck unit (i'm running truck accessories), accumulator is from a escalade (slightly modified), orfice tube is f-body (i'm using the f-body upper line, modified), the evap is from an f-body but put into the mustang ac/heater box (had to fiberglass a new bottom on since the f-body evap is bigger).

basically it's all gm stuff so all the ends bolt together like normal, then i just crammed the evap into the mustang box inside the car so all the inside the car stuff is ford (other then the evap).
Old 01-20-2013, 11:22 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by Martin@Tick
How much boost? Only reason I say that I think you aren't using everything it's got is because there are guys in our local RS275 class that weigh 3100-3200lbs. going 5.28-5.35@128-132 with that turbo. Now, that said they are going 1.19-1.23 to the 60' to do that, but they are doing it with nothing more than a manual boost controller.

With a little more compression, better heads and bigger cam you could for sure run what they are running. Or just put the bigger turbo on it.
i keep hearing that, but man, i'm pushing 20+psi of boost and running .7x's. i'm sure 14* of advance isn't ideal, but pump gas + meth is only so good.

had an interesting night tonight, got a race with a fast mitsu starion, went a 5.76 @ 119.5 on this pass

then we lined them back up and my car came out SCREAMING, but there was a puddle of antifreeze in my lane and i hit it just past the 60', car took a unexpected run to the right straight for the wall, everyone thought i hit it but thankfully i didn't. i had no idea what happened until i saw them burning the track and went and talked to the official. car before me apparently put down some coolant and i hit it. i made one more pass just to not leave on that note and pedaled it down to a 5.8x.
Old 01-21-2013, 10:42 AM
FormerVendor

Received 15 Likes on 10 Posts

Yea you need to either get some more methanol in that thing and run more timing with the added octane or run race gas. I will mention that those guys in RS are running race gas or E85 and are running 6-10* more timing than you are. They are also running at least 10.0:1 compression and aren't running stock heads.

All that said, you have one damn impressive combination.
Old 01-21-2013, 04:53 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Is your AC pump controlled by the factory GM ECU? Does it shut off at WOT? Have you had any problems with the pump or belt? My truck pitches the belt once a month if I raise my shift point above 5500rpm even though the AC shuts down at WOT. I have been driving it for 160,000 miles and ten years now but that problem has always bugged me.

Kurt
Originally Posted by dville_gt
all of the AC components are GM, condenser is from F-body, compressor is a truck unit (i'm running truck accessories), accumulator is from a escalade (slightly modified), orfice tube is f-body (i'm using the f-body upper line, modified), the evap is from an f-body but put into the mustang ac/heater box (had to fiberglass a new bottom on since the f-body evap is bigger).

basically it's all gm stuff so all the ends bolt together like normal, then i just crammed the evap into the mustang box inside the car so all the inside the car stuff is ford (other then the evap).
Old 01-21-2013, 06:19 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by 427
Is your AC pump controlled by the factory GM ECU? Does it shut off at WOT? Have you had any problems with the pump or belt? My truck pitches the belt once a month if I raise my shift point above 5500rpm even though the AC shuts down at WOT. I have been driving it for 160,000 miles and ten years now but that problem has always bugged me.

Kurt
Ya, I'm using the PCM to activate the pump. I have only thrown one AC belt over the past year, but I only drive ~3000 miles a year in this car so what might be a problem for you isnt a huge deal for me. I was thinking about just replacing the tensioner with either a new one or making a manual tensioner like I did for my main drive belt.
Old 01-21-2013, 07:20 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

It is not that big a deal, but it's hard to get back on when everything is hot and I need my AC! I think I might try and add a pulley on the pull side as I think it must get bouncing bad when the pump goes on then off at wot. On the dyno the belt is smooth and steady as I remember....

Kurt
Old 01-21-2013, 09:30 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Man, that car has really come around. I am hoping to hit that 5 second class with my chevelle which is my daily driver. I hit almost a 119mph in the 1/8th but leaves a lot slower so only got to 6.3. I think I have my leave fixed. Yours is really sorted out well. Great job! FWIW, I also only run 13.5-14 degrees of timing at full boost and I run E85 and meth. Now that is conservative. I am like you though. Trying to get the best of both worlds. Fast car but last a little longer than 7 months. lol
Old 01-21-2013, 10:30 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by 427
It is not that big a deal, but it's hard to get back on when everything is hot and I need my AC! I think I might try and add a pulley on the pull side as I think it must get bouncing bad when the pump goes on then off at wot. On the dyno the belt is smooth and steady as I remember....

Kurt
ya, i'm shifting at 6500rpm and i think it prob. it prob does get moving around a bit. when i threw mine it was at the track and a/c was off so i don't know about it being the on/off of the compressor. could be for you though.

Originally Posted by Wicked69
Man, that car has really come around. I am hoping to hit that 5 second class with my chevelle which is my daily driver. I hit almost a 119mph in the 1/8th but leaves a lot slower so only got to 6.3. I think I have my leave fixed. Yours is really sorted out well. Great job! FWIW, I also only run 13.5-14 degrees of timing at full boost and I run E85 and meth. Now that is conservative. I am like you though. Trying to get the best of both worlds. Fast car but last a little longer than 7 months. lol
thanks man, ya the launch is really important. i have to get a low 1.3x to get a 5.7x. i really want to get a 1.2x and dip into the .6x's, pump gas, street driven. of course as soon as i do that it'll be some new goal. i'm having an issue with boost falling off as rpm's rise, starting at 21psi @ 5000 rpm and ending up with 14-15psi @ 6500 rpm. once i get that worked out i hope it'll pick up pretty good too.
Old 01-21-2013, 10:43 PM
9 Second Truck Club

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by 427

Kurt
I had the same prob with my truck and a new tensioner cured it. Been to 7000 since with no probs.
Old 01-28-2013, 11:48 PM
Teching In

That's bad *** ride, and drive it to and from track awesome ride.
Old 01-29-2013, 07:21 AM
FormerVendor

Received 15 Likes on 10 Posts

James, I forgot to call you back yesterday. Give me a call at the shop today and I'll see if I can't trouble shoot some stuff your way.

Just to give everyone a heads up, Dville tried putting more gate pressure to the WG to no avail. Didn't change the boost pressure in the manifold one bit. Next step is to put a reference to the compressor housing so he can compare manifold pressure to what he's seeing at the compressor and how much is being lost.

Also, for those that have measured drive pressure....where is the easiest most inconspicuous place to pull a reading from so he can try that?
Old 01-29-2013, 09:19 AM
TECH Veteran

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

I've drilled and tapped the exhaust manifold right where it goes to the crossover, just like putting an EGT on it
Old 01-29-2013, 10:44 AM
TECH Resident

Went out to Kdale again this weekend. No new best, but the car is a now consistently a .7x-.8x car. Haven't ran a 6 anything in 2 or 3 weeks. I am experiencing a drop in boost over the rpm band , peaks at 5300 (20psi) in first then falls throughout the powerband (only making 15psi at 6500), then peaks again at the shift into second and falls through second as well. Pulled it apart yesterday and found a MASSIVE leak at the BOV flange. Got that fixed and will try it again soon.

Oh, and had some bad luck, had the hood off the car sitting on the roof in the pits, giant gust of wind took it on a flight. Didn't break the hood but it slid on it's top, so I'll be painting it soon.

Here it is spooling on the foot brake on the street after I fixed the leak, seems to get up on the converter quite a bit better. I have the BOV set too tight so you'll hear some compressor surge when I let off

Old 01-29-2013, 11:20 AM
TECH Fanatic

Dville - Man your car runs hard brother! Was out at the dale sunday and watched you, sounds and runs freekin hard man! Makes me wanna ditch my highway 4l60e for a th400. Very nice man
Old 01-29-2013, 11:22 AM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by Vcious04
Dville - Man your car runs hard brother! Was out at the dale sunday and watched you, sounds and runs freekin hard man! Makes me wanna ditch my highway 4l60e for a th400. Very nice man
Thanks man. I'm actually running a glide, but same difference. I don't think I could keep a 4l60 alive very long though.

I could have sworn I was getting pulled over on the way home though. I was on business 287 after leaving the track and a kdale cop busted a u-turn and tailed me all the way to 820.
Old 01-29-2013, 11:29 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by dville_gt
Thanks man. I'm actually running a glide, but same difference. I don't think I could keep a 4l60 alive very long though.

I could have sworn I was getting pulled over on the way home though. I was on business 287 after leaving the track and a kdale cop busted a u-turn and tailed me all the way to 820.
Dang thats crazy man. Atleast he left you alone.

I'm tired of this 4l60e, i've tried everything with it to brake boost. Only able to get 1-2psi out of the hole footbraking to 1800rpm, anything over that the damn thing goes into second on it's own. Should have my stang wheels with some slicks mounted up to finally get a pass in.
Old 01-29-2013, 11:31 AM
12 Second Club

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I freaking love this car. Every video that's posted I watch over and over. Keep em coming! That car looks like a dream to drive too!
Old 01-29-2013, 11:39 AM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by Vcious04
Dang thats crazy man. Atleast he left you alone.

I'm tired of this 4l60e, i've tried everything with it to brake boost. Only able to get 1-2psi out of the hole footbraking to 1800rpm, anything over that the damn thing goes into second on it's own. Should have my stang wheels with some slicks mounted up to finally get a pass in.
my car would be a total turd if i could only leave at 1800rpm with 1-2psi. but the 1.76 first gear ratio of the glide (vs. 2.84 on the 4l60) requires me to leave with quite a bit more steam to get the car moving.

Originally Posted by 67Firebird455
I freaking love this car. Every video that's posted I watch over and over. Keep em coming! That car looks like a dream to drive too!
Will do brother, and thanks! Car is a dream to drive, I often step on toes after running what most consider pretty fast for a street car (driven to/from track in exact race trim with a/c), but since the car goes so straight and smooth i lose perspective on the speed. i REALLY want to get bottom .6x's or possibly into the .5x's at some point this season (and I'm sure if I do then I'll just want to go a little faster), name of the game I suppose!
Old 01-29-2013, 11:43 AM
12 Second Club

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Well, I've got nothing but respect for you, and that build. The damn car works man, now it's just fine tuning. Get that boost drop situated (which it sounds like you already did) and you'll pick up more mph and drop that ET! All I have to say, is that car looks like it's on rails, and it flat out GETS!
Old 01-29-2013, 11:54 AM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by 67Firebird455
Well, I've got nothing but respect for you, and that build. The damn car works man, now it's just fine tuning. Get that boost drop situated (which it sounds like you already did) and you'll pick up more mph and drop that ET! All I have to say, is that car looks like it's on rails, and it flat out GETS!
Thanks! Not sure I deserve any respect, car is just finally working the way it should (sans the boost drop off). I'm tempted to try some racegas at some point but I really like running 93 octane (cheap), but I can't help but wonder what the car would do with some more timing (only 14* right now).

Quick Reply: 5.65@124 - stock 317's, AC, pump gas, s480 towing a trailer ;)