Forced Induction Superchargers | Turbochargers | Intercoolers

How to Microsquirt fuel and spark your LSX swap (sloppy mechanics how to!) 8-10-13

Search this Thread

Old 04-13-2015, 09:09 PM
8 Second Club

Received 731 Likes on 536 Posts

Originally Posted by atomic 6
Yes that is the download, you run the msloader32, and then in the prompts in the program it will use the right .s19 file if you select microsquirt when it asks you witch version of MSII you are trying to flash.

do you have the pull up resistors install on the aled, wled outputs?

did you select the ls1 wheel decoder in the msq?(this is done in tunerstudio)
I didn't. But yes, it has been modified for 4 ign outputs. Purchased this box from Stacey Moore. He modified it and posted pictures on post #139 of this thread. (Pg.7) I believe he also had this box working on his setup. Which makes me think it's a software issue. He loaded 3.3.3 on the Micro before he sent it to me. I'm also assuming it was never tested with the latest firmware. Was thinking of putting the old firmware back on it and testing that.

I do have the LS1 wheel decoder selected. I loaded Matts pump gas tune in. I have tried other known working coil pack assys with no luck either.

Probably unrelated, but I noticed the "ready" light on the lower left doesn't turn green unless I have the fuel pump relay on? (which I'm not using since my chassis had it's own fuel pump relay and switch). Does the "ready"light have to be green for the coils to fire? Can I set it up to constantly be on?
Attached Thumbnails How to Microsquirt  fuel and spark your LSX swap (sloppy mechanics how to!) 8-10-13-ready.jpg  
Old 04-13-2015, 10:59 PM
TECH Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

In one of Staceys post he mentioned something about putting in the 4.7k ohm, you should try to put in the 3.24k ohm pull ups.

Post #137 which is a clip from one of Matts post, but it sounds like he might have put in the 4.7k.

Last edited by tonypaul; 04-13-2015 at 11:07 PM.
Old 04-14-2015, 02:20 PM

Received 31 Likes on 25 Posts

yeah 3.24ohm and 3.24 firmware are the most reliable/broad based compatable setup ever
we have a bunch of 9 sec cars on that matchup
Old 04-14-2015, 07:05 PM
8 Second Club

Originally Posted by denmah
yeah 3.24ohm and 3.24 firmware are the most reliable/broad based compatable setup ever
we have a bunch of 9 sec cars on that matchup
3.24 isn't available anymore, anyone have a copy handy? 3.25 is available on the MS download page so I tried it. Still didn't work. Can't imagine it's the firmware. Wondering if the box is not working. It appears to be wired correctly, I get a clear rpm signal no sync errors. Just get no spark. Are you guys able to see a clear spark signal when testing in the I/O section?
Old 04-14-2015, 07:45 PM
Launching!

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

I had the same problem with my second box that I loaded the same firmware and tune in and It would not start the motor either !
I took just the Micoquirt over another guys car that's running a Microsquirt and hook it up to his harness and it would not fire his motor so we loaded his tune in my Microsquirt and it fired right up so I think the firmware is good its the tune that's loaded in it that might be bad.

It has the 3.25 resistor's ( might check and make sure the solder joint looks ok, but I checked them under a microscope that runs off my laptop)

I loaded Matts tune for a 5.3 w/80# injectors pump gas
Old 04-14-2015, 07:48 PM
TECH Regular

I suggested the pull ups cause thats what my squirt was doing, no spark. put in the right ohm pull up and I got spark...

put a ohm meter to the pull ups and see if its the correct ones..??
Old 04-14-2015, 07:54 PM
Launching!

this is the tune I put in both the one I sent you and the one I still have.

Shannon Taylor - Micro- L33, ls1 intake, 80, meth injection, th400, lil stage 2, pt7675.msq
Download

and for some reason it would not start the motor!

If needed I will swap you boxes as the one I have now starts and runs !
Old 04-14-2015, 08:14 PM
8 Second Club

Originally Posted by stacy moore
this is the tune I put in both the one I sent you and the one I still have.

Shannon Taylor - Micro- L33, ls1 intake, 80, meth injection, th400, lil stage 2, pt7675.msq
Download

and for some reason it would not start the motor!

If needed I will swap you boxes as the one I have now starts and runs !
I reflashed the firmware a few times now and loaded denmahs tune, Still no luck. Everything else works great. Suppose I could pop it apart and make sure nothing came loose in shipping. I'll talk to U in PM's and get something figured out. Thanks!
Old 04-14-2015, 11:02 PM
On The Tree

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

you ever try tunerstudios output test to see if your getting anything? I drove myself nutty between 3 bad coils and the old resistors with spark out put
Old 04-15-2015, 09:13 AM
8 Second Club

Originally Posted by redss82
you ever try tunerstudios output test to see if your getting anything? I drove myself nutty between 3 bad coils and the old resistors with spark out put
Currently has my known good truck coils off my other MS3 powered LS car on it. I did try the I/O testing with no success. The IGN1/IGN2/ALED/WLED outputs are all wired properly, checked them at the coils. I just get no signal to fire the coils on these lead outs. Coils have 12v supply and are grounded at the head.
Old 04-15-2015, 11:33 AM
Launching!

Look at the tune in tuner studio and make sure that the tune is for a 5.3 or 6.0 as some how when we looked at the tune I loaded in the micro I have it was saying it was a 2.0L motor ... not sure how that happened but it did and when we loaded a known good tune it fired right up.

ill call you forcefed.
Old 04-15-2015, 11:41 AM
8 Second Club

Originally Posted by stacy moore
Look at the tune in tuner studio and make sure that the tune is for a 5.3 or 6.0 as some how when we looked at the tune I loaded in the micro I have it was saying it was a 2.0L motor ... not sure how that happened but it did and when we loaded a known good tune it fired right up.

ill call you forcefed.
Willing to try anything, but I don’t think that’s it. The I/O section should bypass tune related operation. Just like you can command the injs to fire, you can command the coils to fire, regardless of the settings in the tune if it’s wired properly (which it is nearest I can tell) it should fire I’d think? I don’t think the ign outputs are working for some reason. May still be firmware related, trying to get the 3.24 firmware.
Old 04-15-2015, 01:15 PM
Teching In

is it getting a stable cranking rpm and syncing up? If so, then..

If it's just coil outputs not working, I'd double check the coil wiring, double check the grounds for the coils, and verify +12v with key on and while cranking, best to verify this stuff with a DVOM rather than just eye-balling it.
Old 04-15-2015, 01:26 PM
8 Second Club

Originally Posted by linuxman51
is it getting a stable cranking rpm and syncing up? If so, then..

If it's just coil outputs not working, I'd double check the coil wiring, double check the grounds for the coils, and verify +12v with key on and while cranking, best to verify this stuff with a DVOM rather than just eye-balling it.
Yes, stable cranking rpm, no SYNC loss. Double checked coil wiring as well with my fluke meter. Went from each pin on the connector to the actual coil plugs, and it all checks out. Has solid 12v supply and grounds are at the head. Still no signal to fire from the 4 Ign output pins. The 3.3.3 firmware allows you to fire each IGN output separately or all at once. I never get any kind of signal to PIN C on any coil plug. Yet the proper coil pin C directly rings out to the correct pin on the MS harness. (11,12,17,16)
Old 04-15-2015, 01:34 PM

Received 31 Likes on 25 Posts

wow, wonder whats up, where did you get the micro?
Old 04-15-2015, 01:45 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Is there a voltage drop associated with cranking that you need to wire in a relay to power the box to avoid said voltage drop?

Doug
Old 04-15-2015, 01:59 PM
8 Second Club

Originally Posted by denmah
wow, wonder whats up, where did you get the micro?
It's one of Stacy Moore's boxes. Pretty slick setup and every wire I've checked has been correct. He did a bang up solder job with the resistors as well. Inspected those last night. (mines the one on the right in the pic)

It's such a simple setup I can't imagine its any sort of install issue. He set it up so well it's basically a 3 wire install. Dunno if it was damaged in shipping or it's still some odd firmware issue. Frustrating as hell though, need this sucker running!

Originally Posted by douglee25
Is there a voltage drop associated with cranking that you need to wire in a relay to power the box to avoid said voltage drop?

Doug
I'll double check, but I doubt it. I have the MS on a relay, and the I/O testing *should* rule that out.
Attached Thumbnails How to Microsquirt  fuel and spark your LSX swap (sloppy mechanics how to!) 8-10-13-img_4187.jpg   How to Microsquirt  fuel and spark your LSX swap (sloppy mechanics how to!) 8-10-13-micro1.jpg  
Old 04-15-2015, 07:31 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by Forcefed86
Yes, stable cranking rpm, no SYNC loss. Double checked coil wiring as well with my fluke meter. Went from each pin on the connector to the actual coil plugs, and it all checks out. Has solid 12v supply and grounds are at the head. Still no signal to fire from the 4 Ign output pins. The 3.3.3 firmware allows you to fire each IGN output separately or all at once. I never get any kind of signal to PIN C on any coil plug. Yet the proper coil pin C directly rings out to the correct pin on the MS harness. (11,12,17,16)
are you looking for something on the fluke to change when it triggers? I've always floated spare plugs off the wires when testing, and just looked for spark. the threads do have to be grounded for that to work tho, and don't light yourself up. You're not grounding thro the valve cover are you? cause I tried that (trying to be slick) and.. well, it turns out that's not actually grounded.

Here's one for the braintrust (or maybe, just a favor beg).. anyone had the crank signal coming into the megasquirt be inverted? like perfectly inverted? Or... does anyone have a composite log for a crank trigger from a ms that doesn't set one big long string of sync error 68's in COP or wasted mode? I'm trying to sort out what may be an issue with mine and I hope I'm not just chasing my own *** (wouldn't be the first time)
Old 04-16-2015, 07:46 AM
Launching!

It might be a pin got pushed back in one of the connectors or a bad solder joint when I changed out the 4.7 resistor to 3.25 resistors im just not sure.

Any way I texted Forcefed86 and have asked him to send me back the micro and harness and ill swap it out with another one I have when I get back home from Barrett Jackson early next week.

Stacy
Old 04-16-2015, 07:54 AM
Launching!

[QUOTE=Forcefed86;18759649]It's one of Stacy Moore's boxes. Pretty slick setup and every wire I've checked has been correct. He did a bang up solder job with the resistors as well. Inspected those last night. (mines the one on the right in the pic)

It's such a simple setup I can't imagine its any sort of install issue. He set it up so well it's basically a 3 wire install. Dunno if it was damaged in shipping or it's still some odd firmware issue. Frustrating as hell though, need this sucker running!QUOTE]

THANKS FOR THE COMPLEMENT Forcefed86 ! sorry that sucker is giving you problems !!!!

Quick Reply: How to Microsquirt fuel and spark your LSX swap (sloppy mechanics how to!) 8-10-13